GS1100 EX carb swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 EX carb swap?

Which carbs will fit my 81 gs 1100E? I know gs 1150 , but theyre hard to come by, not sure if any bandits will fit. What year gsxr carbs work? I dont want to change my throttle control to a push pull, but want to go to a 36 mm carb.. ...Thanks, Will
    Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM.

wow...22 people viewed it and no answers. did i ask a dumb question?

Comment

Do a search for Slingshot carburetors.

Stock 36mm CV Flatslides are generally considered good street carbs, but the RS flatslides offer more power but cost more money.

The 36mm Slingshot carbs came on both GSXR 750's and GSXR 1100's generally between 88-91 You identify them by the oval input ports.

There were a set of Bandit 36's for sale (GSR parts for sale) $100 delivered just last week.

Comment

Ok,thank you..just didnt know if bandit ones would fit. That widens my options...Will

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
          Ok,thank you..just didnt know if bandit ones would fit. That widens my options...Will
          The seller said the one he had would

Comment

Bandit 36mm CV, from the first gen 97-2000 will mke the 1100 run like a beast. Katana's had the 36mm crabs also. Put a stage 3 jet kit and some filters in it and it will run like a champ. GSXR11000's had the carbs too. 750's had 38's Bandit 12 carbs are eaiser to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T112 View Post
              Bandit 36mm CV, from the first gen 97-2000 will mke the 1100 run like a beast. Katana's had the 36mm crabs also. Put a stage 3 jet kit and some filters in it and it will run like a champ. GSXR11000's had the carbs too. 750's had 38's Bandit 12 carbs are eaiser to find.
              What Stage 3 kit would be required? I have purchased a set of these a few weeks ago and then searched on the Factory Pro web site for Stage 3 jet kits. I believe that they offer more than 1 Stage 3 kits. Are these all the same, or should one order the one intended for the Bandit 12, for the GSXR1100s, or for a GS1100 motor?
              Thanks!
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

carbs

Actually I got my jet kit from dale Walkers site. he sales it. it is the stage 2 for the B-12 carbs. you can buy the kit with or without the K&N filters. His kits work really well and I just bolted them on my stock 81 GS1100E and it made a heck of a difference. I used some pod filters on mine.
                www.holeshot.com look under B12 jet kits. Stage 2

Comment

Actually I got my jet kit from dale Walkers site. he sales it. it is the stage 2 for the B-12 carbs. you can buy the kit with or without the K&N filters. His kits work really well and I just bolted them on my stock 81 GS1100E and it made a heck of a difference. I used some pod filters on mine.
                  So would that jet kit be a good option for slingshot BST36 carbs as well?

Comment

Thank you!
                    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                    s)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      So would that jet kit be a good option for slingshot BST36 carbs as well?
                      Nope
                      even though the carbs are very similar there are subtle differances, eg with some kits you MAY need to drill the slide lift holes & with others you wont, imo you would be better off with a kit intended for the slingy carbs

As with all swaps like this the jet kit should only be viewed as a starting point so dont expect it all to work great straight out of the box, you may need to order extra jets to get it fine tuned

Port spacing on gs-gsx etc engines is the same as all the oil cooled gsxF gsxr & bandit engines so that opens up your carb options a great deal, but be aware the intake rubbers differ slightly

Slingshot & bandit 12 carbs are semi flatside btw

Comment

carbs

Dale did a lot of work for the Bandits. all the carbs do differ. If I remember right I had to use the 155 mains that came with the kit. needle in the 3rd clip position and the small pilot jets. It ran flawless here in Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                          Nope
                          even though the carbs are very similar there are subtle differences, eg with some kits you MAY need to drill the slide lift holes & with others you wont, imo you would be better off with a kit intended for the slingy carbs

As with all swaps like this the jet kit should only be viewed as a starting point so dont expect it all to work great straight out of the box, you may need to order extra jets to get it fine tuned

Port spacing on gs-gsx etc engines is the same as all the oil cooled gsxF gsxr & bandit engines so that opens up your carb options a great deal, but be aware the intake rubbers differ slightly

Slingshot & bandit 12 carbs are semi flatside btw

I try to refer to the Slingshot carbs as CV flat slide; sorry if I slipped up .

I do a have a couple of Dyno jet kits for the Slingshots. One is GSXR750 and the other GSXR1100. Bill and I will likely be having a Slingshot carb weekend soon. One set on my GSXR1100G, one set on my GS1100ED and one set on Bill's GS1100L/ED

I have heard several negative reports from GSXR guys about DJ and these carbs. The issue is mainly the needles and erratic operation. Factory Pro are generally preferred but I already have money in these DJ kits.

Comment

Dale did a lot of work for the Bandits. all the carbs do differ. If I remember right I had to use the 155 mains that came with the kit. needle in the 3rd clip position and the small pilot jets. It ran flawless here in Alabama.

Big T nice to hear it worked out so well. Not that I really need any more power , but what the hey .

Did the carbs effect your gas mileage any other than what would be expected from a heavy wrist?

Comment

gas

Not that I could tell. throttle response picked up greatly and you could notice the power by your seat of the pants dyno. .

Comment

Working...
                              X