GS1100 EX carb swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    I try to refer to the Slingshot carbs as CV flat slide; sorry if I slipped up .

I have heard several negative reports from GSXR guys about DJ and these carbs. The issue is mainly the needles and erratic operation. Factory Pro are generally preferred but I already have money in these DJ kits.
    The name slingshot was originally the name suzuki gave to that design of carb but has become the common name for the bikes themselves
    If you say flatslide carbs a lot of people will straight away think proper flatsides rather than the slingshot etc semi flatsides this can cause much confusion & wasted time when trying to help someone set up their bike over the net untill the mistake is realised

Sorry if that sounds picky mate but i hope you understand he reasoning

Anyway onwards & upwards ..... DJ kits will work well in these carbs but are harder to set up correctly than some other kits, this is down to needle design i believe, a lot of the negative things you see across the net on jet kits of any make is down to inexperiance & impatience of the people trying to install them its certainly not a fit & go job especially when you are fitting carbs that were never meant for that bike
    More problems are caused by people not knowing that the emulsion tubes on these carbs wear badly with stock jets & even worse with an aftermarket kit, i replace these as a matter of course & have found fine tuning much much easier
    People also mess with float heights & change the pilot jets simply not required on a stock engine & causes even more trouble
    One clip on the needle relates to around half a point on the jet (DJ) so if you are all the way up or down on the clip you are running the wrong size main jet & will struggle to fine tune it, the idea is to aim for one of the middle clip settings to leave a little movement for fine tuning

hope it all helps
    tone

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I try to refer to the Slingshot carbs as CV flat slide; sorry if I slipped up .

I do a have a couple of Dyno jet kits for the Slingshots. One is GSXR750 and the other GSXR1100. Bill and I will likely be having a Slingshot carb weekend soon. One set on my GSXR1100G, one set on my GS1100ED and one set on Bill's GS1100L/ED

I have heard several negative reports from GSXR guys about DJ and these carbs. The issue is mainly the needles and erratic operation. Factory Pro are generally preferred but I already have money in these DJ kits.
      My L/ED will be awfully thirsty so let's get on it!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
      X