GS750 / GSXR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    It's a Ducati Monster 900 Shock & Spring... Not had it on it's wheels yet so remains to see how that works out
    How much work is it to fab that in?

Comment

Now the small one.... This is the size that they normally print "stock" at apparently. The same as the Skunk etc plastic/metallic emblems.

Joe, you have to put some spacer washers in at the bottom & file the casting marks (split line) off at the top end where it goes into the linkage.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I am assuming it is the same on the 700?

Comment

I assume so too....

Anyone have more thoughts on the big/little debate
          Last edited by salty_monk; 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I like your sticker selection. I think the smaller "Suzuki" on the tank and no to the "S" on the tank next to the seat; keep the "S" on the tail. The other stickers look right, too. I think I'd pass on the stripes, too.
            Great work!
            -KR

Comment

That's what I'm leaning towards too at the moment. The tank is the last bit I'm undecided on.... Going to get the back wheel on tomorrow hopefully & roll it out into the sunlight so I can stand back a bit.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Came from www.motodecals.com - cheap, pretty good selection. I really wanted a more graphite coloured vinyl but this isn't bad.

Delivery took about 10 days from memory. Communication is just average, I wanted some extra vinyl which he said he could do & priced it but then never gave me a method to pay for it & sent the decals without it....

Quality seems good to my amateur eye...

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Wow over A 1000 views....

Well - as my friend said... it's starting to look "bad ass"

Waiting on last clear coat. Sprocket spacer & then mostly just cosmetic stuff - painting small parts, putting the carbs (with full Renobruce treatment) on & putting the last bits back together plus brakes... they always help! waiting on some parts for those too.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yes that is a 5.5" wheel with a 170 & yes it is going to fit...

Count the wheels in that pic... 2 on the bike, 2 on the skunk, 2 under the shelf, the polished with the 160 on it, the white 4.5"... I have another front in white & a set of spokes out of shot too.... quite a collection
                    Last edited by salty_monk; 10-20-2009, 03:11 AM.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

"Bad Ass" indeed.

The more I look at the curved handlebars, the more I like them.

Sorry if I missed it, but what pipe are you using?

Comment

Yes that is a 5.5" wheel with a 170 & yes it is going to fit...

Count the wheels in that pic... 2 on the bike, 2 on the skunk, 2 under the shelf, the polished with the 160 on it, the white 4.5"... I have another front in white & a set of spokes out of shot too.... quite a collection
                        Looking good Dan.

I have a small 18" 3 spoke wheel collection myself

Comment

SaltyMonk,

At a glance of the photos, I didn't see the bad-assery your friend describes. After that, I realized that you have integrated gsxr suspension into your bike so well it looks stock (factory streetfighter??). Seriously, your machine is a beast, nice work!

Comment

mostly 17" wheels for me

Thanks for nice comments. The mono shock is stock except for the fact the shock itself is a Ducati one but I did have to modify the swinger to get it all to work.
                            I was going for "the bike Suzuki never made" style stock look so seems like I'm close.

Lee - the handlebars were the best way I could think to keep the clipons & still have a bit of rise. I'm having another set made with a bit more rise on them to try out, those one still feel quite agressive. One of the clipon bolts serves to mechanically lock the bars so they can't rotate, it's not simply clamped (although both bolts do clamp as well.

Dropped it on it's wheels the other day & had a sit on. Rear shock feels pretty good, a bit on the stiff side possibly, won't know till I ride it. The fronts have too much preload so I need to remove one of the spacers I have in there & then I'll be good I think.

Just tried the chain out last night, seems the 520 is going to have enough clearance & will fit from a links / adjustment standpoint.

Pipe is a Bassani - it has a huge BORE it needs re-packing as it was LOUD when I started the bike before I pulled it apart (Jetting was off so I was only using low revs & it's still loud).

This is the only pic I have of it:

This was the bike as picked up - it looks much better than it actually was as you can't see the dents in the tank etc.

Dan
                            Last edited by salty_monk; 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Dan
                              I've got one just like that at a buddy's place, with Lockhart lowers on it. Can't decide if I want to stay stock (its got nice stock pipes) or mod it like you. Watching your thread doesn't help the addiction.

Are you going to use that pipe, and what brand is it? Send it to me and I'll ceramic coat it in my powder coating oven.

Edit: Just realized you added the make of the pipe. N/M

Comment

Bassani.. Careful i might take you up on that. I want it back though

If you stay stock then I obviously have some parts left over... the front end is entirely rust free. Desert bike.
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X