Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Bassani.. Careful i might take you up on that. I want it back though

If you stay stock then I obviously have some parts left over... the front end is entirely rust free. Desert bike.
    OK - you send me the Bassani and the front end, and I'll send the Bassani back with ceramic coating done. I have to outsource the sandblasting right now, but we can make a deal, since your shipping costs might be pretty steep. I'm doing the ceramic coating thing pro-bono mostly right now for the experience, though when I gave HammerHead his Yosh pipe back last weekend, he pushed a $20 into my hand against my will, I swear.

Comment

Killer build Dan!, subscribed..cant wait to see it done!

Comment

Looks good Dan, bet you'll be grinning like a Cheshire cat once you get to ride. Good call on those Pilot Powers - a superb tire.

Comment

Pilot Power Idea came from you... I was going to get a dual compound sport touring but sets of the PP's seemed to be on sale everywhere this year.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Killer bike to be sure. Wonder how long Dan can hold out before he slams an 1100 in there???
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just put 750 decals on the side.... I did tell Bill I'd have his Yellow banana engine though - the same thought did cross my mind.

Hope the Pipe clears the swingarm ok as I've stretched it (width not length) a bit... guess I'll deal with that when I have to.

Lee thanks for the offer on the pipe, it's not on the cards right now, maybe in the future once I've made sure it still fits & run it around a bit.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well... I said I'd have her done this year but I did cut it a bit fine!!!

First ride today. See pics & Video (you can see I haven't yet blown all the dust / paint out of the exhaust yet!)

Some things I learnt today....

Michelin Pilot Powers seem really nice (didn't push it yet, just easy cruising)

I forgot to connect up the speedo - doh!

I need more clearance for the chain guard (been messing about with that for 2 days... don't you hate it when that happens). Did 2 blocks & could hear it touching so came home & took it off before heading out again.

It's not charging right yet... I have the FH012 RR fitted. Maybe a bad connection (as I moved it about a bit & poss the spades have come off the terminals inside the unit even though I siliconed them in place).
                Could be a weak stator (although bike was overcharging before at around 15.3v+ with the old RR. More investigation needed.

The Givi Fairing in this position shoots the "sweet spot about 6" over my helmet!

If you make your own handlebars be careful of what you make them out of! These overbent bars (bends go past 90 degrees) have stretched on the bends & gone thin. Luckily I found that out in a parking lot when I was reversing the bike (I heaved on the bars & bent the left one). Had to ride back 5 miles basically one handed but I know the road well & it wasn't busy.

The 6 pot front brakes are awesome. Loads of power & feel. The stock 1000 1 pot caliper is pretty ineffective on that tiny 8.5" rotor. I'll probably either cut the bracket again & move up to the 9.5" rotor I just got or possibly try to find a twinpot caliper that will work or something. It's "ok" for trail braking etc but you'd have to really stamp on it to lock the rear wheel. It might also improve a lot once the pads have bedded in - one to watch.

Vid:

Pics:

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Awesome job Dan!, the black out is really tough looking. That rear end looks like it came from the factory that way...

Comment

where are the rear turn signals?

are those super tiny things on the sides of the plate holder em?

Comment

Looks great! I think you'll find the rear will be fine once it's bedded, my fronts were like that. Most people that i've known for years don't even notice the wheels, usually it's "wow you still have that old beast"
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Nice bike Dan, great picture!

Malibu mountains in the background on nice clear day!

Comment

That's the 5.5" rear with the 170 didn't need the back up 4.5" with the 160.

Plenty of clearance with the slightly stretched swinger, wheel running near the back & also smoothed out Suzuki's "pigeon s**t" welding for a couple more mm.

Yep those black bumps in the stock locations are the turn signals - finally found some I liked. They're actually reasonably bright against the black though I suspect I also use hand signals in busy traffic.

I'm off out to celebrate English New Year (4pm Pacific time).... Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited by salty_monk; 12-31-2009, 07:18 PM.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

nice bike, I'm especially jealous of the great weather you've got out there. I just finished shoveling my driveway New England weather, nothing I can do but drink some whiskey to keep me warm. Happy new years!
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2009, 08:44 PM. Reason: new england weather=DEATH

Comment

Nice job Dan! Give those new Michelins about 50 miles worth of scrub-in time and then let 'er rip in those epic SoCal twisties!

Comment

Looks great Dan, U will never wanna go back to skinny bias ply

Comment

Working...
                                X