No announcement yet.

GS750 / GSXR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing that... although it doesn't feel hugely different to my friends stock one with the 120r Avon on it.

I suspect when I get those bars sorted out & get a chance to push it I'll really appreciate the changes.... right now I'm taking it easy as I want to get a bit more confidence in the mods first
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Damn Dan that thing looks amazing! Hope my 1100Es turns out as nice with the mods. Oh and send me your paypal mate I have some money for you for that set of gixxer binders and the rear caliper hanger. A total too with shipping? Thanks sir and how do you like the givi over the stock fairing btw?

Comment

It looks amazing. I have always liked the blacked out look.

Comment

Great lookin' bike!
          You ever frequent "Hammyboy's"?
          -KR

Comment

Looks great, Dan!

Comment

Hammyboys? What's that?

I've not put an real time on a stock fairing or this one to know the difference yet....!

Now I'm thinking of either sorting out some new bars for the clipons or maybe going for one of these guys instead & switching to that setup... Might actually give me an extra inch of rise that might be nice to have...

Anyone got any chain guard suggestions? Joe what was that one you used on your 1100??

Dan
              Last edited by salty_monk; 01-02-2010, 03:40 AM.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                I'm guessing that... although it doesn't feel hugely different to my friends stock one with the 120r Avon on it.
                The stability, increased grip, and line holding ability of sportbike radials really becomes apparent once the bike gets leaned over hard. It really does feel like you have more real estate on which to lean the bike which in turn improves your cornering confidence. Add to the equation that radials are more compliant so they don't hop, skip, or jump over road imperfections when cranked over and it's a nice package.

Comment

PJ after my first real ride today I can completely agree. I went up & down one of my favourite local bits of road about 6 or 7 times...

This bit of Palos Verdes drive east heading up from the ocean:

Lets say I wasn't "knee down" but the way this bike is set up I was the closest to it I've ever been already I would think . The 1000G would certainly have touched the centre stand at that angle, the skunk would prob have made it round but I wouldn't have felt so good about it!
                  I've already scrubbed the rear tyre really well to about 3/4" from the edge & you can see I've run right over to under 1/2" in places. I wasn't pushing really hard as new bike, new rubber

It feels really planted, very confidence inspiring. Engine feels strong too, as long as you keep the revs up past 3.5 - 4k. Rear suspension feels a little overly hard, unfortunately I can only do something about that with a spring change as I'm on bottom preload. I could back the damping off a bit but the shock only has rebound adjustment. Maybe I'll get Chef1366 to come sit on it for me, break it in Front suspension feels stiff but pretty good, I can back that off a bit on the preload adjusters if I need to.

6 pot brakes on the front have awesome power.

I'm now using the clipons with a 2" rise on them (rather than the 4" on the ones that snapped), I have them laid back a way & they feel pretty agressive still but "ok" at speed. Maybe I'll need to make up some more or change to risers & full bar or maybe I'll just get used to them. Rode for about 1.5hrs today with no real issues, a little stiff when I got off...!

I've done the "quick turn" throttle mod on this bike & I must say I'm not sure if I like it. It makes the throttle heavier than I'd like & affects the progression of the roll on in a turn... it could also be that I'm not used to the angle of the clip-ons yet. They command a more "elbows in" position than I'm used to.

Next for a carb sync & then to sort out this charging system...

Dan
                  Last edited by salty_monk; 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Rear brake kit:

I have to use an 850 / 1000 caliper with a couple of mm ground off to clear the wheel hub as the stock 750 has a connection for the banjo out of the side which doesn't work as I'm running it an inch or so closer to the swingarm, 850 one is connection out the back which should work fine.
                    Where did you get the special brake torque arms from??

Comment

Had them made.. I have a couple of different ones left over if the length is right to work with what you need.
                      Other than that people cut the end brackets off and weld onto a longer tube with a bend in it....
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Went to see Nessism today for a carb sync... Got that sorted and also sorted out the charging system. Turned out to be a duff stator.

Found some movement in the front end so. Not the head bearings could be the forks or the 17" wheel conversion which use sleeves on the axle I guess. Time to jack it up again.....
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Salty Dan's 750 is awesome. Those soft radials look killer and the engine sounds amazingly tight considering it's somewhat unknown past. As expected this bike has that "Salty_Monk look", which is to mean a smattering of strategically placed flat black and custom made parts. Highlight for me are those 6 pot brakes - if they work half as well as they look they will make our GS brakes seem like a bicycle coaster brake. Gotta get me some of them.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

hey i was just wondering what year and model ducati that shock came off of and also how much work it took to make it fit?
                            thanks

Weston

Comment

98 Monster 900. Showa. No real work, you have to relieve the outside of the top eye with a file but you don't need to take off much material.

Length is same as stock 330mm but slightly less travel. The Ducati spring is way too hard (just about started feeling right with 170lb of nephew sitting on the back!). I am going to put the stock spring back on soon.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I was too late noticing this thread. Nice bike. I was going to suggest using the 1980-81 emblems on the side panels if they still sell them. Always thought those looked nice, too late though, oh well.
                                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                                X