Ideas for upgrades on my GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for upgrades on my GS750

Hello all! We all know that us northern riders are season is just about winding up to a close. I hope all of you had a great season thus far cause I know I have! Any way winter time for me is the time I start my big projects for my bikes and this year I really want to do something so that when my GS rolls out to play this spring t will be a meaner beast before her hibernation. Currently my bike is not the fastest of the group, which consits of; 06 Yamaha FZ6, 08 Kawi Ninja 500r, 08 Yammy Stratoliner 1900, 07 Honda VTX 1900 and 05 Yammy Vstar 1100. Now as you can see I'm the only classic of the pack and I tend to have to get right after my bike to keep up with the pack if they go full boar. This spring I want to pull out and give em' good surprise!
    Now upgrades to the 750 seem to give ok results and I'm unsure if I want to pay for pipes and aire filters for only a few ponies... I was curious if you guys had any good ideas.
    I really want to upgrade to an 1100, seems to be the biggest bang for the buck but my only issue thus far is sourcing an engine! I can't find one anywhere! Almost to the point of giving up... Any ideas where to look?
    As for rolling components, brakes and suspenssion. I plan on swapping out all wheel bearings this winter, I also plan on running progressives in bothe the front and rear. I also have a set of twin disc stoppers for the front of my bike which I snaged off an 82 GS850, I plan on putting those on this fall probably.
    So fellas any insight would be helpfull. I would hate to spend the money on engine parts and bore over the 750 if I could save cash and get an adequate and less expensive alternitive upgrade.
    Thanks! Have a great one!
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

1100. Do it.
    The early 16 valve 750 engine is not worthy of upgrading. Don't waste your time or your money.
    Just find an 1100E parts bike with a good engine over the winter and go for it.
    Last edited by tkent02; 09-29-2009, 12:28 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

stiffer fork springs new fork oil and maybe better rear shocks. for sure service the head bearings and swingarm pivot point with fresh grease.

3% suspension improvement = 10% more engine power.

this will be the best money spent on a bike you know is limited. - as we all know too well you will not get the money back out of dollar for dollar.

most of the time you get back pennies on the dollar after hundreds of hard earned cash and countless hours have been invested.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

1 more post about a heavier engine choice:

have you ever felt the flex in a 750 frame and forks that has a 1100 engine in it?

hard braking or apex twist? you'll be doing the suspension eventually or tossing it in grand fashion after the pizza cutters and soft springs teach you a lesson about G.V.W.R..

Comment

As of now suspnsion is definitly in the card regardless if I source an 1100 or not... The 750 is fast enough but I didn't think the 1100 would ruin the bikes handelng that much... Not sure of the power levels the 1100 would put out ovr the 750. I just want 100+ hp reliably. I don't want to stress out my frame in the process of gaining power but how much more could the 1100 really weigh over the 750?
          Thanks for the input guys!
          Jedz Moto
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2002 Honda Reflex 250
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Not sure the weight difference of the sixteen valve engines, I would guess about the same.
            I rode a 1980 750 with an 1100 engine, it felt the same as a 750 other than the difference in power.
            With the eight valve engines, the 1000 is about 15 lbs less than the 750.

There is a lot of info available about bracing up the frames if you are really riding it hard.
            Last edited by tkent02; 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I figured as much. It would seem odd that an 1100 would weigh signifacantly more then a 750... It's only a 350cc jump and mass you gain in piston size you lose in block mass. I know the big blocks are well bigger then the mid size ones but the alluminum used doesn't weigh all that much more... Valve train would seem to be in oz of weight difference. Thanks for filling in the gaps for me tkent. I ride mostly with cruisers and sport tourers so m GS is rarely pressed to it's handling limits. I'm sold on the swap, time to source!
              Thanks!
              Jedz Moto
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2002 Honda Reflex 250

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                I figured as much. It would seem odd that an 1100 would weigh signifacantly more then a 750... It's only a 350cc jump and mass you gain in piston size you lose in block mass.

I am surprised that crankshaft mass has not been considered ?? clutch basket and drive gear mass? 30% more static weight could easily equal 120% dynamic inertia mass transferred through lighter lesser built fork trees ??
                has anyone investigated the GVWR stickers or are they just a joke to you designers/ engineers?

I am not being negative but for example- look at the math that the "myth busters" go through before they test ride anything. usually their projects end up in disaster.

it is none of my business what you do but I have frankensteined many freaky bikes starting with;
                ct 70 and a xr 250 engine.
                vtr 250 with a xr 650 engine
                ysr 50 and a rd 125 combination.

I just want to offer some experience before you are crying to your wife and insurance agent from a hospital bed.

Comment

30% more mass? Really?
                  I looked for a while, couldn't find any engine weights listed.
                  These bikes have been getting bigger engines swapped into them forever. Most of us are still alive. Frames can be braced, bigger forks fit right on. The 750 I rode with the 1100 engine had it's swap done about twenty years ago, the owner rides hard. Nothing has failed yet. Very nice riding bike.

Comment

Just buy an 1100, much cheaper I think in the the end and less aggrivation. I did the 7/11 already, wasted so much money, I eventually swapped it back in favor of just buying an 1100.

Comment

Small bike? Big engine?

How about this?

Or if you just want to sneak something by your buddies, just get an 1100 and put your 750 sidecovers on it.

Last edited by Steve; 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

LOL

That scooter looks fun as all get out. Too, cool...

I like Steve's idea, get a scooter, and bolt the 750 engine on it.

Not in it really, but on it, which is about the jest of it.....

Kind of like a skateboard 750 ...

Let's see.

81' GS750L....

What is that saying?

Something like, "how fast do you want to go is only a matter of how much money you have to spend." Or, something to that nature.

Buy a faster bike that is together so's you don't really need to do much but clean it up.

Unless, you are dead set on the 750 and money is....

Well just do a 7 to 11.

Comment

I am in the process of doing the same thing with my 81 GS750. 1100 engines are out there I just bought one for $250.00 (it has a blown cylinder/piston)
                          it may cost me more to put it together than just buying a running one but either way they are out there search craigslist, ebay, any local bike mags like bike trader etc. it took me about 3 or 4 weeks to come across one in my budget range.
                          Good luck sounds like a cool project.

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                            What is that saying?

Something like, "how fast do you want to go is only a matter of how much money you have to spend." Or, something to that nature.

Yep. The way I heard it was "Speed costs money. How fast you want to go?"

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Yep. The way I heard it was "Speed costs money. How fast you want to go?"

Here it is.

Grease Rat: Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

(Madmax 1979)

Hey Jedz123,

Sometimes we tend to first type out what our "little" heads thinking. 1100..... lol

81 GS750LZ.

What are you running on your front and rear sprockets?

Clarify what "Full Bore" means. 30-100 mph?

Pretty cost affective, none really if you need to replace them anyway.

1t down on the front, 2t up on the rear,(from stock if not already done) and get a second or third front sprocket (stock, and 1t up from that. Fronts are about $10-$12, and this would give some adjustability if 1t down and 2t up is to low for your liking.

Just a thought.

From the Big head.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X