850 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 Mods

I've noticed that there is not much aftermarket mods for the 850. I've tried to locate bigger bore piston sets for it with not much success. Is it not as popular due to the shaft drive or some other reason? Gene

Although it was the heaviest GS made (except for the GK), and not really that high on power, it is a formula that just WORKS.

Seems that most of the 850 riders will go faster with suspension upgrades and better riding technique and don't need to rely on more power.

If you seriously want more power but want to retain your shaft drive, look into getting a 1000 or 1100.
    Both are nice bikes, but tend to not be as smooth as an 850.

For some reason, the 850 seems to be a bit more finicky about intake mods, making it more frustrating than the other bikes.
    Plenty of them with aftermarket exhaust, and a few with pods, but it's a headache doing it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Although it was the heaviest GS made (except for the GK), and not really that high on power, it is a formula that just WORKS.

Seems that most of the 850 riders will go faster with suspension upgrades and better riding technique and don't need to rely on more power.

If you seriously want more power but want to retain your shaft drive, look into getting a 1000 or 1100.
      Both are nice bikes, but tend to not be as smooth as an 850.

For some reason, the 850 seems to be a bit more finicky about intake mods, making it more frustrating than the other bikes.
      Plenty of them with aftermarket exhaust, and a few with pods, but it's a headache doing it.

+1

Suspension mods will give you a huge bang for the buck. Intake and exhaust mods will give you a huge headache most of the time. For whatever reason the 850 is particularly partial to its stock airbox, jetting, and exhaust, all properly connected and sealed. Properly running, the 850 isn't exactly shabby as a street motorcycle. If you must have increased horsepower it is probably a better use of your money and almost certainly of your time to sell the 850 and buy a larger displacement bike.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
      X