need a bit of help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a bit of help

i have a gs750 78... it has been in texas for all i know its bone stock. i am not the strongest on jetting so i thought i would ask around here. i know its hard to get it set right but where do you guys suggest being... here is my set up....

stock everything except i use pods not the air box. they are the k&n ones and work great.

when i got the bike running it runs ok just out of gear... hesitates a bit when you pop the throttle hard but if you slowly run through it does ok. plugs are pretty dark... so i know its running rich. now when i put it in gear and go for a ride it will pull fine to about 45 mph and about 4000 rpm with a load on it. not too sure where to start or what is not right. i am at 6000ft in colorado. i have read alot about 10% but on my dirt bike jetting was completely diff from what im reading on the streetbike. so where do i start? any good reads on this subject?

Okay, what mains/pilot sizes do you have in there now?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Where in Colorado are you?
      Do you only ride at 6,000 ft or anything from 4,000 - 12,000 like I do?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Where in Colorado are you?
        Do you only ride at 6,000 ft or anything from 4,000 - 12,000 like I do?
        it would be from about the same as you... i don't ride it now as its not legal yet. i didn't want to do that till i got it running good. it sat for 14 yrs in texas. it is bone stock right now of the top of my head i think the main is 110? not too sure. but it ran great at sea level and bone stock before the pods and altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by tdoshi9 View Post
          it would be from about the same as you... i don't ride it now as its not legal yet. i didn't want to do that till i got it running good. it sat for 14 yrs in texas. it is bone stock right now of the top of my head i think the main is 110? not too sure. but it ran great at sea level and bone stock before the pods and altitude.
          Stock would be 102.5, but the 110 is probably about right for running those pods at sea level.

I am asking location because it is a lot easier to work through this in person than over a forum like this. Are you anywhere near Denver?

VM carbs cannot run well through a huge change in elevation, you can get it perfect where you live, it will be OK a few thousand feet above that, any higher and you have to go easy on the throttle, use only the needle/needle jet circuit, and way up high only use the pilot circuit, keeping the throttle almost closed, only using a tiny bit of the power it would have if it was jetted for that elevation.

A GS 750 goes about like a 5hp minibike at 12,000 ft, unless it is jetted for 12,000 ft.

You can pop the lid off the airbox to get more airflow, help correct for being up higher. It helps a little but it does not work real well. With pods that option is out.

I have my GS 750 running about as well as possible around here, it has pods and a pipe, but it also has a GS1000 engine so it's not a direct comparison.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X