Is there a way to drill jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to drill jets?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has drilled their jets with good results, and can give me an explaination on how to do it, and what bit size to use. I am asking this cause I would like to save some money and to have the experience and knowledge to do it.

BTW I am trying to drill the jets on my carbs, since I have pods and an exhaust from my 1000L with baffles removed(not by me by PO)

Thanks Mike

I would start with 1/4 inch

then 3/8 inch

then 1/2 inch drills should work.

:smart azz: giff...

No really.

Please, do not drill any jets.

One thing to do though if you ever buy a bike that has been modified by an unkown PO. Includes any 4 into 1 or pods on any bike,

buy new jets!!!!!

$12 or so a set of 4 all day long. Just buy new ones.

All jets are marked, but if someone drilled them???

A good "tell all" is stock jets in a bike that has been tweaked. Pipe, or pods and Black plugs.

The time it would take to drill them, if you could ever get them right, and then what if you went over.

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post

$12 or so a set of 4 all day long. Just buy new ones.

$5 or $6 for a set of four ain't bad either.
      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        $5 or $6 for a set of four ain't bad either.
        http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KPCF2

Something like that..... lol

Z1!

In opinion, aint no substitute in the customer service world, top of the line!!!!

If I didn't see it on the site I called them. They usually have it or can get it.

Comment

Yea I just found out how cheap they are on Z1
          I am gonna order a set, but not sure on the size.

120? 122.5? or 125?

I have an 81 GS750L with and exhaust from a 1000L w\o baffles(removed by PO) and individual pods.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawfox13 View Post
            120? 122.5? or 125?

I have an 81 GS750L with and exhaust from a 1000L w\o baffles(removed by PO) and individual pods.
            What's in it now? Are they stock?

Rule of thumb is to go about six sizes with pods and a pipe, then be prepared to tune from there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just get some 115's and check the plugs after you run them.
              Edit: I was living in VA at the time, so it should be close.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                What's in it now? Are they stock?

Rule of thumb is to go about six sizes with pods and a pipe, then be prepared to tune from there.

Stock Jets.

Comment

Spend the money, buy the jets! You will end up doing this anyway so save yourself the headaches. I used a " pin drill" set and my dremel when "custom jetting" my 85 V-Max. A small scratch will alter flow and quantity of fuel metered. I overhaul aircraft fuel systems for a living and spend every day calibrating carburetors and fuel injection servos.
                  streetfighters

Comment

I use a test jet set that I made to do jetting (Mikuni CV's only, have not tried other types) and have drills from 0.1mm to 2.5mm

1. solder up the jet opening
                    2. drill to size closest (up or down from stock depending on requirements) using bench drill and jig setup for accuracy, not forgetting to make sure lead in angle on jet is cleaned up
                    3. put carbs in and test run
                    4. repeat process until desired result is achieved
                    5. buy and fit correct jets.

have used this process on several street ridden bikes and results were great, If I was setting up a race engine I would not bother, just get a good shop/tuner to set it up on a dyno.

Comment

don't do it. jet size increments are smaller than drill size increments. Drilling jets not only bores the holes but removes part of the tapered 'nozzle' essential to the jet performance.

Comment

I tried drilling the pilot air jets on my 1150 carbs and it failed miserably.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
                          don't do it. jet size increments are smaller than drill size increments. Drilling jets not only bores the holes but removes part of the tapered 'nozzle' essential to the jet performance.
                          the drills I use are not from Wal-mart, they are a part of a precision tooling kit for milspec applications, mikuni CV mains are incremented in 0.05 mm steps

The tapered nozzle lead in on my jets are 118 degrees off a 2.5mm bore........ I've always been able to get my machines to run as desired on these jets before putting up cash to buy the right size

Comment

Originally posted by Dunger King View Post
                            mikuni CV mains are incremented in 0.05 mm steps
                            You mean 0.005mm steps? they're incremented in 0.0002 inches which is 0.005mm. pulled it from this article:

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Comment

I thought Mikuni jets were graduated in flow rates, not diameters?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X