Downsides to too large carbs on street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everybody!
    Sorry for the cross post, I am asking this same question in a thread in appearance mods I started on my build, but since I asked the original question here and this is more a performance question I will repeat myself here;

Well, I scored a set of Mikuni RS38's off the E*ay last night with a buy it now of $225. I really wanted some 36s but I could not ponder much as I thought this opportunity wouldn't last. I have had deals bought out from under me while I stared at the screen. I just confirmed they weren't old slabby flatslides and hit the button.

So I guess I will find out first hand what too-big carbs will do. I already have a set of fcr 39's with spacing that didn't fit the GS (or I would have tried them last summer) and I have grand plans for a big bore some day, but that is a year or two away and as far as I can tell I have a stock 1100 with a header.

Any advice on jet sizes I should start with? I plan to go through these before I try to use them, any advice? I also have an odd thought of machining some 1mm thick, tapered, hard plastic reducer bushings to bring the venturis down to 36mm. I would press them in for the time being and take them out later once I can utilize more flow. I have heard of many instances of boring a carb body larger, or using filler in a manifold to alter the flow characteristics, why wouldn't it work in reverse? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Cheers, Erick

Comment

actually cv's run friggin sweet without the airbox. They are vacuum based carbs. whatcha needa do is is pull the tops off and bore out the vacuum holds just a bit. slap some pods on her. I'm a firm believer that airboxes were invented by the government to make life boring for us citizens.

Comment

Erick, give me a call at 714-356-7845 & I'll help you out. I wanted to talk to you anyway. Ray.

Comment

IU've been in the same boat Zweihammer, been trying to snag some 36mm slingshots for months now, ALMOST bought the 38's a couple times, but didn't.

Comment

Gonzo, I have a set & will put whatever main jets in them you want. I want $400.00 + shipping. Let me know if you are interested, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Gonzo, I have a set & will put whatever main jets in them you want. I want $400.00 + shipping. Let me know if you are interested, Ray.
              Got a line on an inexpensive set from Canada, but if it falls through, I'll give you a shout. Thanks Ray, I almost emailed you a few days ago to ask if you had a set, I KNEW you would.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Get a set of 88-91 36mm Gixxer carbs.
                thats what i have on my 81 1100e. funny thing is when the bike was given to me( for free ) it was like that. i added k&n race filters to it. i never rode it stock so idk what it was like then. but man it has loads of power and pull almost from the bottom. i think everything else on the engine is stock except for the coils.

Comment

Working...
                X