Sport Demons vs Roadriders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
    Ah, you must have the 'superior handling' package, then!
    Tony.
    Oh no, they're essentially the same in the equipment. Although i have found slight changes here in there as ive rebuilt this 82 1100 for Griffin, vs my 83.. the anti-dive is designed slightly differently, tho i dont think it changes anything. The pegs, and some frame points are slightly different, but nothing major. I dont honestly think they handle differently from one to the other, but the peg hight, as i recently found out, can make a difference for ME. I hit some twisties on my now EX 1000G, forgetting that it WASNT the ES, and found how quickly the pegs will touch on one of those compared to my ES. Needless to say, it made me a little mentally warry of pushing quite as hard as I would have on the ES. The 82 1100 seems to have the same pegs as the earlier GSs, tho i havent measured hight as i say, they seem a slight bit lower and more forward. Totally mental, im sure, but i suppose too, once you get used to one thing, tossing something new in there can change your thinking for a little bit...

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Josh; eazy tell does the EZ have the shift linkage for the rear set? How long is it in comparision?
      They are the same part # which seems to indicate they are identical & interchangeable.
      Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Josh; eazy tell does the EZ have the shift linkage for the rear set? How long is it in comparision?

Just comparing my 80 GS750E; the geometry is more upright and less confidence inspring in a sweeper than the ED. On the otherhand in comparision to the ED with a set of worn 3K mile SD, the GS750E could dance with the new Avons.
        I just got done lubing the crap outta mine during my weekly maintainance package, and can tell it's got a threaded adjuster, but as it sits on my 82 EZ, it's not terrible long. I think the SD puts your body in a better position to make more advanced maneuvers, such as hanging off or weight shifting, easier. Perhaps the difference in foot peg location and different style bars give you more leverage to turn the front end, and the body positioning puts you in a better place to NOT upset the chassis during the aforementioned advanced maneuvers, leading to a more nimble over-all feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
          Wire brush is brass, and pretty fine, and not scratching anything. Simple Green is a 1:1 mix, and working great. Follow up with Windex in order to get rid of any Simple Green residue. Stuff smells terrible when it's burning off your headers and top end. Having a hell of a time trying to get these carbs back in place. The intake boots are still very pliable. What's the easiest way? But boots on carbs, and pry them onto the engine? Or vice versa? I'm getting fairly frustrated trying to get these things together, and I know once I figure it out, it'll be easy after that.
          If you must use a brush get a nylon one for the engine. That brass is softer than steel but I think its hard enough to remove the paint from the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
            If you must use a brush get a nylon one for the engine. That brass is softer than steel but I think its hard enough to remove the paint from the engine.
            Turns out it's just fine. The brush isn't terribly abrasive, and it's small toothbrush size limits the amout of force you can apply. Worked great, paint is still quite intact on all areas scrubbed.

Comment

My fully dressed 1100G is on its second set of Sport Demons (courtesy of multiple "Tire Changing Parties" at Joe Nardy's over the years) and I can honestly say that when I first mounted them on the "Big G" it was like riding on a completely new bike!

The confidence the Pirellis inspire can't fully be appreciated until one has done some spirited riding on them. I almost never ride my bike "empty," yet Wringer and Nardy will attest to the fact that when we ride rallies together I have no trouble hanging with the two of them. I attribute this mainly to the quality of the Sport Demons, because while I am no slouch as a rider I will happily concede that the two of them are far more experienced than I at carving corners.

My plan was to try the Avon's next time around, but since I may be giving up both bikes soon I'll have to simply defer to the excellent reviews both Brian and Joe offered. Having ridden with them for years I can attest to the fact that any tires they "endorse" have been very well tested under the most difficult real world conditions. I will echo the opinion that either tire will serve you well, and since by your own admission you are a "new rider" I would doubt that you'll push either tire anywhere close to it's limit in the near future. Buy either one with confidence...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                My plan was to try the Avon's next time around, but since I may be giving up both bikes soon I'll have to simply defer to the excellent reviews both Brian and Joe offered.
                That's too bad Steve, what is happening?! Maybe keep one bike, for when you get the itch? (And you most certainly will!).
                Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Finally got them scrubbed in!

Ended up with the Sport Demons this time around. I'll toss on the Road Riders whenever these are done.

All I can say is wow. I didn't realize how bad my old tires were until I had fresh rubber on. The old Bridgestones I had on were just terrible. Incredibly easy to lock up. Thanks to those old gross things, I have had ample experience coming to a graceful stop with one, or both wheels locked up. Downshifting produced all sorts of dramatic hops out back. One thing having terrible tires for the first three months of riding taught me is to be smooth. It was very easy to upset those dry old things, so you had to make sure you didn't.

The Pirellis, on the other hand, are quite amazing. The bike feels very planted. The vague feeling at the bars is just plain gone. I feel like I'm using less effort at the bars, since it no longer feels like the bike might just wander whereever it wants to. I point it, it goes, no questions asked. Downshifting and braking at the same time produces a very quick stop. I have to spend a few hours in the parking lot again, to get used to how much more available traction I have for stopping. I can only imagine what'll be like when I get stainless lines, and my anti-dive disabled, and my suspension set up properly. I'm starting to find quite a bit of joy in cornering now as well. The bike rolls so much farther over now, without feeling scary. It's quite a different machine now. It feels so much more stable and planted during every riding scenario. I like the lean in characteristics of this tire as well, with nice round rear, it rolls over at a fairly consistent rate. Much more predictable, and in the end, safer. All said, definitely the best performance improvement I've done up to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                    Ended up with the Sport Demons this time around. I'll toss on the Road Riders whenever these are done.

All I can say is wow. I didn't realize how bad my old tires were until I had fresh rubber on. The old Bridgestones I had on were just terrible. Incredibly easy to lock up. Thanks to those old gross things, I have had ample experience coming to a graceful stop with one, or both wheels locked up. Downshifting produced all sorts of dramatic hops out back. One thing having terrible tires for the first three months of riding taught me is to be smooth. It was very easy to upset those dry old things, so you had to make sure you didn't.

The Pirellis, on the other hand, are quite amazing. The bike feels very planted. The vague feeling at the bars is just plain gone. I feel like I'm using less effort at the bars, since it no longer feels like the bike might just wander whereever it wants to. I point it, it goes, no questions asked. Downshifting and braking at the same time produces a very quick stop. I have to spend a few hours in the parking lot again, to get used to how much more available traction I have for stopping. I can only imagine what'll be like when I get stainless lines, and my anti-dive disabled, and my suspension set up properly. I'm starting to find quite a bit of joy in cornering now as well. The bike rolls so much farther over now, without feeling scary. It's quite a different machine now. It feels so much more stable and planted during every riding scenario. I like the lean in characteristics of this tire as well, with nice round rear, it rolls over at a fairly consistent rate. Much more predictable, and in the end, safer. All said, definitely the best performance improvement I've done up to this point.
                    If you stay in the twisties, the tire should wear more even. Sustained highway miles will get you a flat spot on center (of the rear) and cause roll in to be much heavier till you get over the corner in which case you will have to pull the bike back up.

The Roadriders are very round (some describe as pointy) and roll in is virtually effortless. The are harder so the retain the profile for longer

Comment

+1 for Road Riders. Purchased from Dennis Kirk a few weeks ago. First few hundred miles have been great. Good affordable tire.

WG

Comment

A couple of pics of my 850's rear Sport Demon after a day on the new Hampton Downs race track, south of Auckland.
                        The tyres and track surface were quite grippy. More right hand turns than left on the short circuit. Both foot peg and boot touched down a few times on the right too. This track is starting to get great reviews.

:) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                          A couple of pics of my 850's rear Sport Demon after a day on the new Hampton Downs race track, south of Auckland.
                          The tyres and track surface were quite grippy. More right hand turns than left on the short circuit. Both foot peg and boot touched down a few times on the right too. This track is starting to get great reviews.

http://www.hamptondowns.com/Track.wse
                          SD's are obviously softer than Avons. Longevity is the primary issue for me. Looks like your using most all the tire. You did leave a 1/16" on the one side I see

Comment

SD's are obviously softer than Avons. Longevity is the primary issue for me. Looks like your using most all the tire. You did leave a 1/16" on the one side I see
                            Longevity is the reason I'm using SD's, mine!!

The two prominent left handers are both seriously off cambered and probably resulted in that wear pattern. Or was it really a case of the rider's appendage being larger on one side than the other?
                            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X