Drag/Street bike with no Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag/Street bike with no Alternator

I have a 1985 suzuki gs1150 with 1260 bore kit,38rs carbs,and a set of g4 cams and port job,Stock ignition with no stator just the drive for the starter gear.I was wondering how far could i make it without having problems on the street with a fresh charged Yusa YB14L-A2 battery.
    (Miles Wise)with no headlight and only a tail/break light?Without having any ignition break up or detonation due to low voltage going to the ignition.Looking to take it over to a Friends house about 10 mile round trip.Any input would be great.Thanks

If the battery is in good shape you shouldn't have any problems. The biggest draw on the battery is when starting it, heck I bet you could go 100 miles.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I regularly run racebikes with total loss ignition - ie no charging system.
      Given a battery in good condition and no excessive cranking over, you should get at least 2 hours running before any problems due to voltage drop.
      If you have to run lights, 1/2 to 3/4 hour only.

Greg T

Comment

Not sure about a big bore bike, but I have a '76 Honda 550F that runs total loss with no alternator or electric start (kick only) and with the gel filled battery, I can ride it w/o the headlight for close to 8 hours. Cut that time in half with the head light on. I have an on-off switch for the head light, disconnected the front brake light switch, and hard-wired it for the rear brake only. I also have a very small spare battery mounted below the swing arm that I can get an hour's riding time on. It's my "get home battery" in case the main draws down too far. I also used LEDs for the tail light assembly and that helps immensley. You can have a street bike that runs total loss. I just plug it into a battery tender when I'm done riding it and it's always ready the next time.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

Hello,I decided to take the beast out on a 15 mile round trip cruise,no headlight,taillight w/brake lite.Bike ran great even re filled the air shifter with on-board harbor freight compressor once.When the bike made it home to the garage I plugged the battery up to the Battery Tender, took about 30 min and it was full charge.
          Would try and go farther, but roads around here run out fast and running a slick on the street can land your bike on a tow truck in these parts(been there done that),waiting for Rapidray to complete my street engine so I can put some real Charged miles on it.Again thanks for your all of your help in this.
          Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
          Not sure about a big bore bike, but I have a '76 Honda 550F that runs total loss with no alternator or electric start (kick only) and with the gel filled battery, I can ride it w/o the headlight for close to 8 hours. Cut that time in half with the head light on. I have an on-off switch for the head light, disconnected the front brake light switch, and hard-wired it for the rear brake only. I also have a very small spare battery mounted below the swing arm that I can get an hour's riding time on. It's my "get home battery" in case the main draws down too far. I also used LEDs for the tail light assembly and that helps immensley. You can have a street bike that runs total loss. I just plug it into a battery tender when I'm done riding it and it's always ready the next time.

Comment

Working...
          X