stainless header for gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stainless header for gs

would anyone be interested in buying stainless steel headers? I am trying to get an idea on interest. They would be 4 into 1 and in the 800 to 1000.00 range. I know very expensive.

I have been talking with a dude who can make a prototype and then pass it off to a major pipe manufacturer for mass assembly. I would have to buy 15-20,000.00 worth to get it into the 800.00 range though so I would like to know if there are 20 guys out there that would even be interested.

I am thinking its just too expensive though.

Mild steel pipes would be much cheaper but would need coating. 4-2-1 pipes even more expensive and R&D performance would be too costly.

Is there anyone out there with a good in on stainless bends and pipe? Currently my cost for one 4-1 header is 600.00 just for the stainless, then flanges, silencer, assembly and welding pushes it up to about a grand.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Wow; Sorry Rob I think that is going to be tough. I did put about $600 into my SS pipe and would say that to do it a 4:2:1 would be the way to go.

I'm surprised the material costs that much. Are we talking $300 for a RS-3 Yoshi Can?

Comment

Hi Rob,

What about Hindle in Port Perry Ontario?
      Hindle Exhaust Systems is a leading manufacturer of aftermarket motorcycle exhaust systems. Our systems yield siginificant horsepower increases as well as overall weight reduction. Street, Race, MX, ATV, Snowmobile exhausts.

My son puts on this race (Canada's fastest Streetbike Challenge) every year and Hindle has been a sponsor for the last 7 years. They are going to make him a 4-1 system for his 82 gs1100. Might be a good lead for you.

Scroll down till you see it http://www.grandbendmotorplex.com/news.html

Paul Jones

PS: What's going on with the shock mounts?
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
        Hi Rob,

Hindle Exhaust Systems is a leading manufacturer of aftermarket motorcycle exhaust systems. Our systems yield siginificant horsepower increases as well as overall weight reduction. Street, Race, MX, ATV, Snowmobile exhausts.

My son puts on this race (Canada's fastest Streetbike Challenge) every year and Hindle has been a sponsor for the last 7 years. They are going to make him a 4-1 system for his 82 gs1100. Might be a good lead for you.

Scroll down till you see it http://www.grandbendmotorplex.com/news.html

Paul Jones

PS: What's going on with the shock mounts?
        I emailed hindle a couple times and finally got a "not interested" reply.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Wow; Sorry Rob I think that is going to be tough. I did put about $600 into my SS pipe and would say that to do it a 4:2:1 would be the way to go.

I'm surprised the material costs that much. Are we talking $300 for a RS-3 Yoshi Can?
          NO, just straight stainless with internal baffle. No fancy slipon.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I guess I was lucky to run across the closeout sale on the discontinued Hindle I picked up for $299 Canadian. I've seen hand made titanium pipes meant for Bandits on Ebay for about $800 out of the UK. I had thought about contacting them about building a pipe for my bike but never got around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I guess I was lucky to run across the closeout sale on the discontinued Hindle I picked up for $299 Canadian. I've seen hand made titanium pipes meant for Bandits on Ebay for about $800 out of the UK. I had thought about contacting them about building a pipe for my bike but never got around to it.
              Seems you also got lucky with a rear mono-shock

Comment

I am having a heck of a time finding a better alternative to a chrome V&H, which they don't even make for the kat anymore anyway.

I don't need one now as I will be running a turbo next season but for future builds it would be nice to have access to a stainless system made for the GS.

It just seems to be too expensive a proposition. Mac will make them cheaper out of mild steel but that's what you end up with... cheap header.

I took my V&H megaphone into a shop to quote on just rolling me that in Stainless....800.00 for the megaphone alone... WHAAAAAAT!! Later dude.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Seems you also got lucky with a rear mono-shock
                  Patience usually gets rewarded.

Comment

A Brit member recently bent one up and was looking to sell them in the US.

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      A Brit member recently bent one up and was looking to sell them in the US.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=148521&page=2

looks like emissions laws caused a snag; wonder if he would do kits instead?

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                        Hi Rob,

www.hindle.com
                        Great idea, to get a quote from Hindle. I think they may have existing tooling for the GS1100 pipes......I came across an ES for sale with a beautiful black Hindle megaphone system on it this summer on Kijiji.....not sure if it was custom, because I haven't seen one like it before, or since, but the owner didn't mention that it was a one-off, when I offered to buy the pipe.

FWIW, we would be interested in even a decent quality steel system that was ceramic coated, for better longevity/corrosion protection......it might be possible for the manufacturer to get a deal on bulk coating, and the system would still be significantly cheaper than SS......just something to consider.

Here is Paul's (Doubleblue on here) beautiful GS1000 with a custom pipe whipped up by Lang Hindle.

Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                          Great idea, to get a quote from Hindle. I think they may have existing tooling for the GS1100 pipes......I came across an ES for sale with a beautiful black Hindle megaphone system on it this summer on Kijiji.....not sure if it was custom, because I haven't seen one like it before, or since, but the owner didn't mention that it was a one-off, when I offered to buy the pipe.

FWIW, we would be interested in even a decent quality steel system that was ceramic coated, for better longevity/corrosion protection......it might be possible for the manufacturer to get a deal on bulk coating, and the system would still be significantly cheaper than SS......just something to consider.

Here is Paul's (Doubleblue on here) beautiful GS1000 with a custom pipe whipped up by Lang Hindle.

Tony.
                          Very Nice !!!!!!!

Comment

Sweet bike!

That guy from the UK tried to sell the to Z1 but emissions caused a problem. I would think he could sell them to someone for "race use only" though.....

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                              Great idea, to get a quote from Hindle. I think they may have existing tooling for the GS1100 pipes.....

Tony.
                              LIke I said. They were not interested in making them. Told me they no longer have the tooling for the old bikes.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X