530 Conversion/gearing change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Conversion/gearing change...

Ok, so ive decided id like to get rid of the bullzdozer track that Suzuki calls a chain, and replace it with a 530. the bike is a 78 GS750, and I am currently running down one tooth on the front sprocket, with a stock sized rear.

I am considering going up two or three teeth on the rear sprocket, and getting another 14 tooth front sprocket so I would be -1/+2 or +3. Anyone running anything similar to this? Im not super concerned about real long distance highway riding, as the most highway time this bike sees is usually 1/2 hour to 45 minutes at a time, and I also have the CB that im gonna use as the commuter.

Im very open to opinions, and appreciate any responses. Thanks guys!

I'd like to switch to 530 as well..both sprockets and chain on my 77 750 are toast..where did you get the sprockets and chain from? anything special I need to know..I'm planning on just running stock gearing..any help would be great..Thanks.

DDM

Comment

There have been several threads on this subject in the past, so you are definitely NOT the first to consider it.
      I believe Z1 is the popular source, give them a call and talk to Rob.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

lots of places sell sprockets for the GS. Just keep in mind that the 530 sprockets are much much smaller than the 630 so chain pivot clearence can be an issue. For example, a 51 tooth 530 is the same size as a 42 630.

That doesn't matter for gearing as ratios are the same. you may want to go 17 up front.
        for every tooth you gain or lose on the front sprocket it equates to approx 3 on the rear. If you go on south up front and 3 north in back you are 6 teeth larger on the back from stock.

For example on a gs1100 @ 4000 rpm stock you are doing about 62mph. add 6 teeth to the rear and you drop to 54mph @ 4000 rpm
        60mph goes from about 3850 rpm to 4420 rpm

If you go to a 17 tooth front, a 48 rear will put you within 32 rpm from stock @ 60mph.

each extra tooth on the rear will increase your rpm by about 92 @ 60mph.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Z1 has a good conversion page..
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

The conversion they give is to divide your existing sprocket size by 5 then multiply the result by 6

Or the easy way.. multiply your current 630 sprocket size by 1.2 (same thing 6/5=1.2)

78 GS750 had a 15/41 stock 630 setup.. That give a 2.73 gear ratio

do the math and it's 18/49 for 530 (ok 49.2 so we round down)
          You could also do 17/47 or 17/48

Chain gets the same math..
          Stock 630 chain had 96 links.
          530 should be 116 (115.2 but I rounded up) Chains need to be even numbers so it was 114 or 116..

Don't forget the front sprocket spacers. (530 sprocket is thinner)

Comment

Thanks guys...exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Im going to be getting the sprockets through Parts Unlimited since thats the main supplier the dealer I work at uses, and can get a discount.

I will definitely go with the 17 front sprocket, and I will have to see what I can get for the rear. The smallest I will go in teh rear is 49...like I said, I am more than willing to sacrifice some top end for acceleration...

Comment

spacer goes on the outside of the sprocket not the inside. allows for the nut to tighten up.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
              X