Is it really this easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it really this easy?

So to take an 1100 to 1260, $420... and what? What kind of headache and annoyance does doing something like this take? I've cracked engines before but I'm certainly no pro. To bulk an 1100 to 1260, can you strip a motor down to the pistons and heads and just rebuild with this kit?

What kind of trouble is this? I'm not really sure what to use as a benchmark.

You would think for $420 he would at least knock the chunks off the pistons.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is a good price! You will have to bore the top case so this means you will HAVE to split the cases. Get some more pictures of the sides of the pistons and the cylinder walls,you don`t want any surprises after you make the buy. A set of Web cams would be good for that set up. Some .348`s would be perfect. If you get them and you do split your cases buy a new cam chain,it`s cheap insurance . Does your bike have headers? K&N`S?

Comment

Actually looks like a good deal

Comment

I'm just getting ideas at this point. I'm keeping my eyes peeled, collecting ideas, pricing things out, keeping a close eye on craigslist for a 1000/1100 (preferably a G), just trying to get a feel for what is possible and for how much. Anything I buy I'm going to crack the case on. I want to know exactly what I have, make sure everything is looking good, and if for no other purpose than to learn. I've only ever fully opened up one other bike engine.

For sure I'm looking to go pods/V&H 4in1/re-jet and strip a lot of weight, and really, that should be enough to entertain the hell out of me, but if it isn't that price prohibitive and isn't too far over my head to go to 1260... why not? No such thing as too much of a good thing . -nick

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
            Anything I buy I'm going to crack the case on. I want to know exactly what I have, make sure everything is looking good, and if for no other purpose than to learn. I've only ever fully opened up one other bike engine.
            What a waste of a good engine.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's never as simple as increasing cc's. In order to get the performance increase from the extra displacement you'll need cams, heads, carbs, exhaust, .... and the list goes on. Installing that kit without the supporting cast will be a disappointment, so be prepared to spend some $$. Next up will be the suspension and it's not cheap by any means.

As the old saying goes - speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

I thought that the general consensus of opinion was that anything above 1170 was too much for standard liners on a 1074cc motor.
                The wiseco 1260 kit uses new liners and needs the crankcase mouths opened out to fit.
                I know the 1166cc wiseco conversion I did on my kat left NO chamfer on the bottom of the bores and I wouldn't have wanted to go larger on stock liners

Comment

So the answer, more or less as I thought, would be no .

Good to know.

Now I really want to pull an 1100 apart just to **** douchey mcgrumpypuss off .

Comment

Stay away from shaft drives if you want to make anything fast,stick with a chain drive.

Comment

I know that chain is more efficient in transferring power to the rear wheel, but beyond that, what is the problem with shafts? -nick

Comment

Shaft drives are not meant for that kind of power increase. It is hard on the universals and the pinon and ring gear.

Comment

Working...
                        X