Fork upgrade/wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork upgrade/wheel question

I'm looking at set of 95 RF900 forks to replace the bent forks on the GS1000L

So here are the questions.

If I use the GS1000 19" wheel with a bias ply tire will I have any major handling issues with the cartridge forks designed for radials?

How much of an issue will it be going from the 32" L forks to the 29.5" RF forks? 2.5" drop...

I know brakes will be a issue to deal with but nothing that can't be worked out.. Thinking of keeping the RF calipers and using CBR600 F4 290mm rotors..

Thoughts??

Rf9 forks are too short for your bike you, would be better off with b12 forks as they are basically the same but longer, you will also need the wheel from a b12 or slingshot & the b12 discs (cbr discs are too small a dia & the offset is wrong) I'm not saying you couldnt get round these issues but its really a bit pointless to try as you would be spending more on engineering to fit the oddall parts than you would in buying parts that fit together properly

your best bet is a complete b12 or similar front end as there will be any number of issues in fitting your 19" wheel

rf9, b12, slingshot 4 pot brakes are all the same, wheel styles & disc ofsett vary

tone

Comment

I have a set of forks off a 1979 GS750L if you want, check part numbers, might be the same or similar. Dont forget, the L models have leading axle orks, going to a straight fork might change handling and clearance.

Comment

I'm parting out an RF900 right now, and the forks seem awfully short to mount on a GS, plus if you're going to go to that much trouble I'd get inverted forks. The RF900 are the same style as GS, just shorter and bigger diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          The RF900 are the same style as GS, just shorter and bigger diameter.

Thanks guys.. I guess l might just stick with a set of E forks for now..

Just for the record the RF900 has a cartridge fork so there is an advantage over the damper rod type even if it isn't USD.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
            Thanks guys.. I guess l might just stick with a set of E forks for now..

Just for the record the RF900 has a cartridge fork so there is an advantage over the damper rod type even if it isn't USD.
            Interesting.. wasn't aware of that, noted. I'm really hoping I can get rid of some of these RF900 parts fairly soon. I have a complete untitled bike. forks, triples, rotors, wheels, engine, pipe, yoshi can, the whole shebang.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              Interesting.. wasn't aware of that, noted. I'm really hoping I can get rid of some of these RF900 parts fairly soon. I have a complete untitled bike. forks, triples, rotors, wheels, engine, pipe, yoshi can, the whole shebang.
              The discs (rotors) on my Rf900 are reaching the service limit so i would be interested in those depending on price & shipping costs

please keep me in mind
              tone

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                The discs (rotors) on my Rf900 are reaching the service limit so i would be interested in those depending on price & shipping costs

please keep me in mind
                tone
                I don't have the measurments with me to tell you how close mine are to spec, but I'll get that info tonight and send along. I'll let them go cheap to a member.

Comment

Working...
                X