the cheapest performance v springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the cheapest performance v springs

hi guys anyone know where to get a good set of performance valve springs? cheap, im wanting to re ring,and head work this winter
    i think my bike was a lil flat on top end, so i figure maybe floating a valve or so, prolly wore out springs

If you have the stock cams, stock springs are fine.. Do you have a 8 valve or 16 valve.

Comment

APE sells them for the 8V as well as the 16V I'm pretty sure. The HD springs are the same price as the OEM springs I think. Not REALLY needed, but I went ahead and used them when I rebuilt. The next time I have more money than sense I'm going to upgrade the Cams. I guess you could make the argument that extra tension slamming the valve into the seat might wear faster.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        APE sells them for the 8V as well as the 16V I'm pretty sure. The HD springs are the same price as the OEM springs I think. Not REALLY needed, but I went ahead and used them when I rebuilt. The next time I have more money than sense I'm going to upgrade the Cams..
        Dr., you'll probably have the most 'built' shaftie here....how come you didn't just get an E to mod? Might stand up better to wheelies etc., so to speak.
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
          Dr., you'll probably have the most 'built' shaftie here....how come you didn't just get an E to mod? Might stand up better to wheelies etc., so to speak.
          Tony.
          Haha!
          I worked with what I had. I had a little car experience from when I was a teenager but other than that, had no idea what I was doing when I started. I learned it all here and from trial and error. I bought this G in semi-rough state for $1000 from my girlfriend's dad and over time just kept upgrading it, mostly for the learning experience. I DO intend to apply it to another bike in the very near future where I do a full on, no expense spared frame up build. I'm parting out an RF900 I got for $200 right now hoping to make $400 or $500 bucks profit I can use as seed money for that next build (to buy the junker I use as the platform).

I do like the "sleeper" aspect of my current bike. I mean it's very clean, and you can tell I've put work/money into it, but other than a few hints you'd never know it's probably flirting with 100 HP and might exceed that when I get my 36mm Slingshots.

Comment

i DONT want to ruin my stock valves, i just want better springs, i think it was floating them a lil, not positive though,it was running flat as hell, (and i found 2 diaphrams had pin holes in them
            ) also a cause
            i cant afford cams and want the most out of my stock bike, i really want to keep it almost all stock, they were really fast bikes, 131 in 1983 from a 750! wow my shaft drive kz1000 only did 120
            and my bike runs good with 33k on it, but since the trans needs 2nd,and the pistons clatter a lill bit, im thinking a tear down head seals ect... springs, im hoping my stock pistong are ok,and jug since i wanna keep it factory
            i do need a set of factory exhaust

(open lightly,and polish intake and exhaust ) do you goo rus think it will free up to much (scavengeing back pressure) or do it and let the pipes do ther job??
            anyone know the factory scavebge ratios? vs a light clean/porting
            i dont want to port it and need bigger carbs for more air to equil it all out,and keep the fuel miles right

Comment

Get some new stock springs. HD valve springs have more tension than you need which will hammer the valves/seats and wear the cams more than necessary. There is no good reason to go HD unless like Doc, you plan to go to hipo cams at some point.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Look at air/fuel issues first....I doubt your top-end issues are due to valve float.
                Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I wouldn't do any kind of porting yourself. If you want to do it send it to APE and pay the $300 or whatever they charge. It's hard to do correctly. I took a dremel and sandpaper and just cleaned up the casting marks on the intake side, and didn't touch the exhaust side at all. Like Nessism said I only used HD springs becuase hopefully I'll stumble across a deal on a set of cams at some point and want to be able to just slap them on with no other mods. I'm probably pounding my valve seats.

Comment

Working...
                  X