cv carby jets.......1980 gs1000E...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cv carby jets.......1980 gs1000E...

i,m keen to get some oversize pilot jets for my cv carbys... 1980 gs1000e,, i,ve emailed denniskirk.com ...but unfortunately no help... i,ve got std 40 pilots at this time...i,ve got good pods to put on ..any help would be appreciated ...regards david from kaniva

I am putting a dyno jet kit in mine this weekend, from what i have read it seems to be the way to go.
    Got mine to my door for about 150.
    Dunno if that helps?

Comment

With pods you'll need mains as well as pilots, and you'll need to shim the needles.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        With pods you'll need mains as well as pilots, and you'll need to shim the needles.
        Instructions and needles should be with the Dyno kits.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Dang, is GSR that bad, that you had to revert to emailing Dennis Kirk?

Dennis Kirk sure doesn't have any "Dirty Doug" working there.

If you didn't supply them with info like,

Make
          Model
          Engine Size
          Manual or automatic transmission
          Air condition
          Power steering................

They are lost puppies!

even bike shops are getting this way too............

Sad, sad, sad.........

The consensus is usually the dynojet kit, which should supply what is needed.

Comment

I really need to post a sticky for this sort of info, its common and its simple. Come on guys!

First step is to adjust the mainjets. I'd suggest going up two sizes from stock to begin with. Test the bike once its warmed up, paying attention to its performance in the upper rev range and at full throttle. Go up or down a size as needed until you get the best performance at these higher throttle and rpm settings.

After that, adjust your needle height and test for performance in the mid rpm and throttle regions.

Prior to testing on the road, ensure that your airscrew settings are at least moderately correct. It'll help if you synch the carbies as well. If you're really anal, you can continue tuning various jets (such as the pilots) and even things down to the float height (looking for best acceptance of full throttle at low rpm) - after the mainjet and needle settings, of course!

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: As an aside, I wouldn't trust a dynojet kit. I really wouldn't. They don't know the exact state of tune your bike is in and cannot possibly tailor a kit to your bike without physically examining it and performing real life tests on it. Its complete, utter BS. They may get close, yes, but its mainly ballpark stuff. I'd just go the tried and tested method of doing it yourself. If you cannot do this sort of thing yourself, I'd go to a trusted mechanic who is known to perform good work.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2009, 09:19 AM. Reason: The 'EDIT' bit.

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
              I really need to post a sticky for this sort of info, its common and its simple. Come on guys!

First step is to adjust the mainjets. I'd suggest going up two sizes from stock to begin with. Test the bike once its warmed up, paying attention to its performance in the upper rev range and at full throttle. Go up or down a size as needed until you get the best performance at these higher throttle and rpm settings.

After that, adjust your needle height and test for performance in the mid rpm and throttle regions.

Prior to testing on the road, ensure that your airscrew settings are at least moderately correct. It'll help if you synch the carbies as well. If you're really anal, you can continue tuning various jets (such as the pilots) and even things down to the float height (looking for best acceptance of full throttle at low rpm) - after the mainjet and needle settings, of course!

Cheers - boingk
              Or, just get the Dynojet kit. Its all there, mains, washers and most importantly, instructions.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I agree on dynojet kiy Octain, but some people don't want to go that route for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  I agree on dynojet kiy Octain, but some people don't want to go that route for some reason.
                  Money........ money money...

But by the time they go through the "trial and error" thing most woulda already spent the same coin. Not to mention the time and BS ya go through getting these things tuned.(so I've heard)

When I did my 850 the mains were spot on. I did however have to adjust the needles but I didnt have to pull the carbs to do it, and I only had to do it twice. Well actually three times but one of em was something I did that we wont mention.(Thanks Chef)

Thanks to members on this board and lots of reading I was really suprised how easy it was.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

The OP was inquiring about pilot jets. The dynojet kits do not include pilots, just mains, needles and some other pieces.

Does your GS1000 use BS34's? If they use the BS 30/96 series of pilot jets (which have 6 holes and ~14mm long) then DK carries them.

Chef has mentioned that he bought them from DK for his bike and I believe his bike has BS34's on it. I've purchases them from DK for my bike which has BS32's.

Comment

cv 30/90

does DK sell oversize main jets at all ?? for my carbs regards david

Comment

does DK sell oversize main jets at all
                        I would go to z1 enterprises for main jets. They may also sell pilot jets for your carbs. Send them an email or pm jeff saunders on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X