The Cafe/fighter/turbo - build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cafe/fighter/turbo - build

So I have been contemplating this project for a long time and I am finally at a stage where I can start posting some pics.

So here is the plan -

I want a bike that can just about do it all handling, power, and be able to cruise it for a decent trip without sacrificing to much comfort all for an affordable price. In an attempt to meet all of those standards I have finally decided on the bike I want.

It is starting off as a 1981 GS750 that I picked up a few years ago for $400.00 and this is how she started

After owning and riding her for a year I decided I liked the Cafe look. So She transformed to this. All in $950.00

Now after allot of thought, help on here and also on Old School Suzuki.com I have decided to take it to the next level. Most of these parts I have little or no money in so that is why certain items are what they are. I know some things would or could be better but this is what I have right now on my budget.

Utilize the GS750 frame and gusset it
    1997 Katana 750 front end (forks, rim,brakes)
    Mid 90s GSXR swing arm with 5.5" rear rim and brakes
    1981 GS1100 engine
    Gas tank from a late 70s GS1000
    My own hand fabricated seat
    Turbo from a mid 90s Audi A4 1.8liter (K03 turbo)

I still have allot of items left to sort out the engine needs modifying, fuel system, oil system, ignition, and allot of fabrication to make everything fit, and then paint......but between here and O.S.S. I think I might be able to get it done.
    Here is a pic of the rough mock up. The swing-arm is not fitted yet but you can get the rough idea of where I am going with it.

Dude is that a dis-assembled Cooley in your garage??

Comment

Not sure exactly. I bought it off a member on here for the motor it is a late 70s GS1000
      but it has a 81 GS1100 in it, and the rest of it is pretty rough and scattered. Not sure if it was a true Wes Cooley GS1000.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
        Not sure exactly. I bought it off a member on here for the motor it is a late 70s GS1000
        but it has a 81 GS1100 in it, and the rest of it is pretty rough and scattered. Not sure if it was a true Wes Cooley GS1000.
        Your build looks great by the way, you got me to subscribe.

Comment

Get that vin number off that gs1000, maybe we can tell. Do you have complete bodywork for that bike?

Comment

its a 1979. I will be removing the engine for my project and maybe a few other bits but thats basically it.

Comment

If he did have it I'd chance to guess the cooley tank is the stripped tank that now sits atop his new project (I'm hoping not). And I'm glad to see you're not planning on turboing that poop hunk motor out of that 750. It would have been disasterous. I'd also suggest getting some crank work done to the new 1100 motor as the 81 did not have the bolstered crank. But that's just my two cents. I'd hate to see you put a this work in and it eats itself.

Comment

Looking good!
                Is the frame for these 80/81 750S identical to the ones for the 80/81 1100s?
                2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                s)

Comment

Subscribed......
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    If he did have it I'd chance to guess the cooley tank is the stripped tank that now sits atop his new project (I'm hoping not). And I'm glad to see you're not planning on turboing that poop hunk motor out of that 750. It would have been disasterous. I'd also suggest getting some crank work done to the new 1100 motor as the 81 did not have the bolstered crank. But that's just my two cents. I'd hate to see you put a this work in and it eats itself.
                    Cafekid I couldnt agree more I thought about a turbo 750 just for fun but it just would not work affordably. So it went to a guy out in St. Louis MO. to go into an old bobber project. That 750 was a great motor. In regards to the crank you are correct, but the main reason I chased this motor down was because the PO told me he already had the crank redone years ago with new bearings, trued, and pins welded. Shortly after he had the work done he wrecked it and it has been sitting ever since. approx. 12-15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                      Looking good!
                      Is the frame for these 80/81 750S identical to the ones for the 80/81 1100s?
                      I dont know if they are exactly identical but the engines swap over without any modifications.

Comment

I dont know if they are exactly identical but the engines swap over without any modifications.
                        OK thanks!
                        2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                        1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                        2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                        s)

Comment

I think they refer to it as a 7/11 conversion right? Tons of europeans do it, very popular on the OSS (sorry Steve) board.

Comment

Is that a cooley or not? Im guessing not cause the pegs arent in the correct location, yes?
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

its a 1979. I will be removing the engine for my project and maybe a few other bits but thats basically it.

I call dibs on the fork brace if ye decide to sell it.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X