The Cafe/fighter/turbo - build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Octain View Post
    Is that a cooley or not? Im guessing not cause the pegs arent in the correct location, yes?
    Depends on the Cooley. One year had standard pegs and the other had "rearset" pegs. The DOM tag will tell the real story though obviously the motor is not Cooley original. I dig the stator cover badge though. I'd love to have one of those. I'm working on getting the sign/vinyl sticker shop next door to my work on making me some custom ignition/stator cover badges.

Comment

I'm thinking that is indeed a GS1000S. You can see remnants of the fairing in the first picture and it's mounts holding the mirrors in the later picture, plus the framework that surrounds the headlight and holds the gauge package is there, too. Looks just like mine anyway. The fender is a given.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post

Were you running a rear tyre on your front??

Had to ask...

BTW - I like your new project
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
          Were you running a rear tyre on your front??

Had to ask...

BTW - I like your new project
          There are Kendas according to there wed site you can those tires front or back tube or tubless. As for why I just thought it would look beefy I never liked the skinny tire up front look.

Thanks for the comment on the new project I just finished mocking up the swingarm today and am having the bushing made to adapt the new swinger to the old GS swinger bolt.

Comment

+1 on that front tire. Beefy look definitely sets it off. The points cover is trick, and I just noticed you must've relocated your battery to that seat hump. Nice! you find out if that's a s model? The mounts for regular style footpegs, would that mean it would only be a 1979?

Comment

There is no "S" in the vin on the frame it just says GS1000. So I am guessing its not a Cooley but probably had some Cooley clone parts on it. I will getting into it this weekend taking the 1100 out and the coils and then getting ready to part it out. I already have had several people P.M. me for some stuff so hold tight everyone I will get to it.

Comment

Has anyone done a modern suspension swap and used a wide rimmed wire spoke wheel with modern radials? I think that would just look amazing. I'm going to go ahead and assume that getting a wide rimmed wire spoke wheel together is probably going to be expensive though. Looking at your bike in cafe gear sorta gave me the idea, that fat front tire is aggressive looking.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Okay so finally there is some progress. I got my frame gussets welded in tonight.
                  Here are a few pics.

Next I will break it down to the bare frame clean up any excessive welds and cut off a few more tabs then sand blast and ready for paint.

I am still waiting for the rear shock blocks from my machinist (good old Dad) then I need to have them welded on the swinger and then prep for paint.

At the same time I need to start the engine prep for the turbo!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X