Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a GSXR engine in a GS?

Is this possible?

I have a '97 (96-2000 are the same, I believe) 600cc GSXR engine with carbs/airbox/wiring/exhaust/pretty much everything.

Is this able to fit into a GS frame? I found two semi-parts bikes for $125, 1978 GS750m (his ad says 'm', must be there on accident) the other is a 1980 GS850. I called him awhile back and the 750 frame has a title, so I'd use that.

Do you think it would fit? The GSXR carbs seem to sit back at an angle that might not agree with the frame.

If it can be done by modifying the frame, I may still be interested. Got a long winter ahead of me and a 12 pack each weekend while working on it with a buddy in his shed sounds fine with me.

I'm just hoping that it's not a shaft drive model, as my GSXR engine is for chain driven.

Thanks

The 750 frame is the way to go simply because the 850 is a shaft drive.
    I have no idea how it'll fit but getting the radiator mounted will be fun.

Comment

Spyug told me in a response on UJM that it's not worth doing with an old Yamaha cruiser frame I have a available to me. I assume that (Yamaha 1986 Seca 600) is very similar to the 750 GS.

I also found a 1989 Katana frame. Being a sportsbike it may be easier. But then without plastics or rims or anything, my project takes my $80 engine and skyrockets to + $1500 or so.

Comment

Well I might be abit abrupt in my reply. You can likely put any engine into any other bike. It all depends on how much effort you need or want to put into it.

A sport bike frame might be easier as it was designed for an engine of a similar size. The Radian frame could fit but I suspect you might need to do some hacking to get things in. You might also find that the engine is too wide and the drive sprocket may then not line up with the the rear sprocket or some offsets need to be fabricated. you will need to locate the rad and possibly change the plumbing of the exhaust. Its likely not going to be a bolt in switch. In addition, I would think the Gixxer mill will be heavier and this might cut down on any performance improvement you may be looking for.

I'd take some measurement first. If it looks like it may go then by all means give it a shot.

There is no hard and fast rule to this but whatever you do just make sure its a safe install. I.e. make sure the driveline is aligned, nothing interferes with the steering or brakes and suspension works properly.

Don't forget to document your build and post pics as you go. You never know you might inspire someone else.

Good luck.

cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

I'm going to take some measurements and then decide.

If it's not feasible, I can always *attempt* to put the engine in my fourwheeler frame. Or sell it for parts.

Just looking to do something different, even if there isn't much/any performance/monetary value benefit. I don't actually 'need' to. But I'm sure most of the guys on here know what I mean.

Comment

engine swap

Web site >Oldskool Suzuki <any thing you would want to know about engine swaps GS GSXR .

Comment

I know its not a suzuki, but i have owned a KZ650 with a gsxr 1127 engine in it with all the gsxr running gear.It drive like an overpowered hinge.
              FLEX IS GOOD....
              Marc
              https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by TG7060 View Post
                Web site >Oldskool Suzuki <any thing you would want to know about engine swaps GS GSXR .
                Did you post this over at UJM? I haven't heard of that website, guess I can search for it and go take a look.

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                I know its not a suzuki, but i have owned a KZ650 with a gsxr 1127 engine in it with all the gsxr running gear.It drive like an overpowered hinge.
                FLEX IS GOOD....
                Marc
                Any details or photos from that? If that can be done, a 750 with 600cc gsxr engine should fit.

Comment

I suppose with enough time effort and beer anything is possible but there would be some other factors to consider. Even of you did get it to fit the GSXR engine would put down what??.....about 110 ponies, you would want to upgrade your suspension and brakes while you were at it. It would be an very interesting and ambitious project.

Comment

I have just moved, the house is full of boxes.I will try to find the one with pic and ask the GF to scan some.The gsxr engine is smaller than the old engine in a ujm.The only problem is that the gsxr engine is taller, no other problem for the frame than to fab new front mounting plate but expect clearance issues with the gas tank.The top rear engine mount is located in same place in the kz frame and the gsxr engine.
                    Marc
                    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
                    1978 GS1000C X2
                    1978 GS1000E X2
                    1979 GS1000S
                    1979 gs1000
                    1983 gs400e

Comment

I have just moved, the house is full of boxes.I will try to find the one with pic and ask the GF to scan some.The gsxr engine is smaller than the old engine in a ujm.The only problem is that the gsxr engine is taller, no other problem for the frame than to fab new front mounting plate but expect clearance issues with the gas tank.The top rear engine mount is located in same place in the kz frame and the gsxr engine.
                      Marc
                      Alright, no rush on the photos....it's winter.

Having owned both a GS and the KZ, does the upper rear mount match up somewhat on both, or might it be better for me to find a KZ frame?

(The guy I bought the engine had one he was selling for $100. Missing a few parts, but had title and most parts. I'd hate to drive 2 hours back there to get it. )

I was hoping to use a GS750 as I found a GS750 and GS850 together for $125, an they've been sitting awhile so I can talk him down most likely. Then give away any parts I don't need to people on here.

Comment

If you can get a hand on the gs frame, take it.
                        The gsxr engine you have it is oil or water cooled?
                        Im heading to bed.
                        Marc
                        1978 GS1000C X2
                        1978 GS1000E X2
                        1979 GS1000S
                        1979 gs1000
                        1983 gs400e

Comment

If you can get a hand on the gs frame, take it.
                          The gsxr engine you have it is oil or water cooled?
                          Im heading to bed.
                          Marc
                          Water cooled.

There's two separate GS':

1. GS750 $200 complete with title. Claims to have had it started, not running now.
                          2. $125 for two parts bike, but the 750 has a title and wheels/most engine parts.

I'm opting for #2. So if anyone ever needs a replacement 850 frame, they could always take that from me, file down the vin, fill in with solder, and re-stamp their own VIN. In case someone is in a wreck or their frame is bent or something of the sort.

Plus the #2 deal, I had talked to the guy a month and a half ago. Still had them at the same price. So I can probably get them cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealFatShady View Post
                            I'm opting for #2. So if anyone ever needs a replacement 850 frame, they could always take that from me, file down the vin, fill in with solder, and re-stamp their own VIN. In case someone is in a wreck or their frame is bent or something of the sort.

Depending on state I assume, that is not always legal right?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Depending on state I assume, that is not always legal right?
                              Doubt it's legal anywhere. But if I get an extra frame, and it isn't reported stolen, I'd personally rather it see it get used then junked for scrap metal, especially if there is someone looking for a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X