Left end Crank Bearing Support/Self Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left end Crank Bearing Support/Self Starting

We had a discussion about this on the left end crank damage thread. Thought I would share what I came up with. The idea is to use a bearing to support the left end of the crankshaft. This was done to help keep the left end from breaking off. We left enough threads on there so I could still pull it off. This is on a self starting dragbike with a total loss ignition. They make these for the outboard starting guys, but not for the guys that want to self start.

I should say Mark came up with the idea and also thanks to TDM Machine for the work. So far they can make anything I can dream up.

Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM.

Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

VERY cool Ryan! How much to get the bearing & holder from you? Thanks & Merry Christmas! Ray.

Comment

From me way more than it's worth. Probably alot cheaper cutting me/the middle man out of the equation. I could PM you the machine shop I use. He has all the specs on some scrap paper with my drawing on the bottom.

I got the bearing from Mcmaster-carr. Bearing#6906 Part#5972K247 ID30mm OD47mm.

I will call you about that head info eventually. I'm trying to get everything else out of the way first.

Comment

So far 1 vote from off the list that the bearing is too small and that the cover will eventually fatigue and break.

Comment

Whoever said that doesn't know of what they speak!!! Ray.

Comment

Is that bearing going to tolerate the rpms? What about the grease and oil mixing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                Is that bearing going to tolerate the rpms? What about the grease and oil mixing?
                Very little oil make its way into the stator cover and since it's a total loss system there won't be much of anything to churn that oil up. Ryan stated they are already in use on outboard starter bikes so it seems to be a tested design with some tweaks.

Comment

Bearing Specs, I was tempted to use a sealed bearing, but went with the open design.

Ball Bearing Style Open - General Purpose
                  For Shaft Diameter 30 mm, Outside Diameter47 mm, Width 9 mm
                  ABEC Precision Bearing Rating ABEC-1 ABEC-1 Precision Rating Regular
                  Dynamic Radial Load Capacity, lbs. 1,628
                  Dynamic Radial Load Capacity Range, lbs. 1,501 to 3,000 lbs.
                  Maximum rpm 17,000
                  Maximum rpm Range 15,001 to 30,000
                  Temperature Range -4° to +248° F
                  Bearing Material Steel
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I am going to seriously consider this. Very cool.

Comment

Mill or grind the rivet heads off and drive them out with a punch, then the remains of the magnet will come off. Less weight to spin up, and is also balanced better.

Really nice design, I am impressed. IMO all the bearing has to do is prevent it from wobbling off center at high RPM, I feel that is what breaks left ends. Yoy are probably good to go without the magnet but this provides some exra insurance

Anthony

Comment

Working...
                      X