What other year exhaust will fit the GS's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What other year exhaust will fit the GS's

I have a 1982 Gs 1100E and I have seen some newer style V&H or Yoshimura pipes on these, I assume from an 80's era gsxr. Just wondering if anyone has had ony luck with cross fitting exhausts without a big hassle?
    Thanks Jay

Port spacing will be the same but not diameter. The Gixxers had smaller ports. They'll fit the '83 and up 700/750 E and ES models since they have the 42mm ports like the Gixxer. Some people have worked around the smaller ports on liter class GS/GSX models.

Comment

I have heard (but do NOT know) that FZR1000 header pipes work. Anyone know? Certain years? I don't know...just something that I heard a while back.

-KR

Comment

I have also heard KZ1000 pipes will work...again, year,

Comment

Originally posted by jab3052 View Post
          I have a 1982 Gs 1100E and I have seen some newer style V&H or Yoshimura pipes on these, I assume from an 80's era gsxr. Just wondering if anyone has had ony luck with cross fitting exhausts without a big hassle?
          Thanks Jay
          If you can fabricate a mid pipe, then the main issue as far as fit is the clearance of the cross brace just under the exhaust ports (on the GS). Yes the OD of many of the GSXR pipes are smaller OD but most are at least 1.5" OD which is the same as a V&H street bike. To fit the head, the flange bolt spacing is wider on the GS so the flange bolt holes need to be slotted.

I've got a 1st Gen (86-88) 1100 pipe that seems to be an ideal length for under belly clearance. I've got two a 2nd Gen (89-92) 1100 pipes; The Yoshi is a little long, the Micro is very long (too long). The problem with going to a 2nd Gen 750 pipe is that the OD will drop.

Bandit 1200 pipes fit GSXR's and so will also fit a GS.

There is a thread over at Gixxer.com of fitting GSXR 1000's Ti exhausts to 1st GEN bikes so by extension it would also fit the GS assuming the cross brace could be dealt with.

There is a posted here recently that replaced a cross brace because a PO had removed it to allow for more exhaust choices.

The best fitting exhaust will have the drop tubes symmetrical farther than crossing over or swayed to one side.

So almost any GSXR/Bandit liter+ exhaust can work depending upon the manufacturer.
          Last edited by posplayr; 12-27-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

so will the gsxr 600 bolt up,or not?, or will it need 750

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
              so will the gsxr 600 bolt up,or not?, or will it need 750
              It's only the oil cooled Gixxer pipes that work. The GSX600F used the same block and head castings as the 750 so they should work as well. I would only try to fit them to a 700 or 750 though, '83 and up. I have a hunch they would fit the 650 as well. They'd be too tight for liter class GS/GSX models.

The KZ does share the same intake spacing so exhaust is probably the same too. KZ pipes are probably as or more than GS pipes though.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                If you can fabricate a mid pipe, then the main issue as far as fit is the clearance of the cross brace just under the exhaust ports (on the GS). Yes the OD of many of the GSXR pipes are smaller OD but most are at least 1.5" OD which is the same as a V&H street bike. To fit the head, the flange bolt spacing is wider on the GS so the flange bolt holes need to be slotted.

I've got a 1st Gen (86-88) 1100 pipe that seems to be an ideal length for under belly clearance. I've got two a 2nd Gen (89-92) 1100 pipes; The Yoshi is a little long, the Micro is very long (too long). The problem with going to a 2nd Gen 750 pipe is that the OD will drop.

Bandit 1200 pipes fit GSXR's and so will also fit a GS.

There is a thread over at Gixxer.com of fitting GSXR 1000's Ti exhausts to 1st GEN bikes so by extension it would also fit the GS assuming the cross brace could be dealt with.

There is a posted here recently that replaced a cross brace because a PO had removed it to allow for more exhaust choices.

The best fitting exhaust will have the drop tubes symmetrical farther than crossing over or swayed to one side.

So almost any GSXR/Bandit liter+ exhaust can work depending upon the manufacturer.

Good info! Hey, what is your header on your red 83 GS1100ED??? It's good lookin'!
                -KR

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
                  Good info! Hey, what is your header on your red 83 GS1100ED??? It's good lookin'!
                  -KR
                  It is a 2nd Generation 88-91 GSXR 1100 4:2:1 Stainless with an adapted early 90's Nozzle style can (off a CBR 600). here is a link into my conversion thread that shows the progress.

Comment

Don't mean to thread-jack, but your exhaust is particulrarly cool. Thanks for the link. I had seen it (your thread) before and guess it slipped my mind how you had done it...verrry impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                      I have also heard KZ1000 pipes will work...again, year,
                      They will line up and all, but won't work. If you look closely, the kz engines are straight up and down, and the gs engines are tilted forward - thats the best description i could come up with... I've tried swapping between them, and a gs pipe on the kz ends up going into the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by will61310 View Post
                        They will line up and all, but won't work. If you look closely, the kz engines are straight up and down, and the gs engines are tilted forward - thats the best description i could come up with... I've tried swapping between them, and a gs pipe on the kz ends up going into the frame.

Good to know. I had read it on a VERA racers web site.

Comment

Bandit 600 on GS850L

OK, let's see if I understand. A friend at work pulled the exhaust off his 2001 Bandit 600. My questions are, can this entire system be EASILY made to fit on my 850, and if so, what is his old setup worth, in pretty good condition? He'd give me the whole thing, but that's not fair. What I want is the very quiet exhaust like my Bandit 1250, rather than the short, loud pipes that are on the 850 now. They're stock, by the way.

Bob K

Comment

Originally posted by robertkreidler View Post
                            OK, let's see if I understand. A friend at work pulled the exhaust off his 2001 Bandit 600. My questions are, can this entire system be EASILY made to fit on my 850, and if so, what is his old setup worth, in pretty good condition? He'd give me the whole thing, but that's not fair. What I want is the very quiet exhaust like my Bandit 1250, rather than the short, loud pipes that are on the 850 now. They're stock, by the way.

Bob K
                            No, not easily if at all. The pipes from bikes using oil cooled GSX-R based engines best fit the '83 and up 700/750 E models. Other than that you have to start fabbing. Even on the 750 models peg placement could be an issue depending on the pipe.

Comment

Gs1000?

Anyone try mounting or have any experience installing a OEM Bandit 1200 header on a 78 -80 GS1000?
                              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
                              X