Lowering? Front Forks? GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering? Front Forks? GS550

Hey guys, let me apologize for this novel of a post, but I've been trying to get my info straight on this bike and havent found much regarding the smaller GS bikes. I have a 78 GS550E. Been working pretty hard on it, trying to get it all back together as well as customizing as I go and now Im up to suspension. I need to get the bike a little lower, cause I have really short legs. Front forks also need replaced (bad rust) as do the rear shocks and springs. This being the case... And the fact that I am building this bike slightly custom, but keeping this a VERY low cost build, What are my options... Should a just find a set of good forks and change springs? I have a friend whos parting out an 80s gixxer I could get forks and triple from? Original plan was for Clubmans, But I would def do some clip-ons if needed. What about lowering the rear? I have read tons on the bigger bikes but not much on the 550s. So shoot me some links or some suggestions, What will fit (small facrication is not an issue, I build custom vehicles daily) And I dont mind modifying this bike to make it how I want it. I have less then $200 in it so far. Still new to Suzukis so dont hate on me too hard!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM.

mdi has shocks that should help you lower rear and for around $100.(although you may have to use shock bushings from your old ones to get them mounted correctly). There should be several threads on here to lower your frt. forks,just do a search. terrylee

Comment

Lowering the frontend is easy. You can either slide the forks up in the triple clamps till you are limited at where they hit the handlebars or you can make internal lowering blocks like we use on the dragbikes. The problem with the lowering blocks is that you also lose suspension travel, which is NOT always ideal on a street bike. Good luck & IF you decide on the internal route I can make the blocks for you. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
        mdi has shocks that should help you lower rear and for around $100.(although you may have to use shock bushings from your old ones to get them mounted correctly). There should be several threads on here to lower your frt. forks,just do a search. terrylee
        Lowering isnt the main issue, the main issue being I need new forks and I dont see too man 550s around, So Im trying to knock out the lowering and the replacement as well as keeping on the cafe/streetfighter mix all in one step. Can I use an other model GS forks on mine? Or are Gixxer forks a better option, Thats more what Im after ya know

Like I said before, please excuse my stupidity, custom cars and trucks is all I know, Bikes are still fairly new, my last bike was a simple slide the forks up, install a lowering link and ride kinda thing, Never did much other the ride it
        Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Please can someone point me in the right direction, I have spent days searching for fork options and everything is 1000cc+

Comment

The 86-90 forks are a bolt on (as are others) but I chose the NON inverteds because they are cheaper & will work just fine for what you need to do. You need ALL of the frontend, forks, triples wheel, ALL of it. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortyzKustomz View Post
              Please can someone point me in the right direction, I have spent days searching for fork options and everything is 1000cc+
              You cannot just swap fork legs easily. However, what i'd recommend is you swapping the entire front end off a gsxr or katana. Head bearings,triple tree and all.
              1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Your cheapest option would be to get a complete front end of a GS1000 or 850 incl the triples & bolt those on I think.

Aside from being dirt cheap most of the time (so keeping with your budget) you should also be able to use all your other stock stuff (brakes, wheel etc) & with the right model the ignition & steerer stops will prob even match up.

For you the 1000 forks would be an upgrade as they are 37mm not 35mm tubes. (lots of modern 500's still use 37mm stanchions today).

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X