No announcement yet.

oil pressure drop @ hard throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who needs an oil pressure gauge/light. Mine has never worked along with the gear indicator- I think it is a related problem. Some day I'll fix it been 25K miles now..

Comment

OK,
      Some more info
      Clutch: Outer basket is HD Welded, inner hub new oem, springs, bolts, fibers, needle bearings, spacer/washers, nut, cable, all new oem.

Oil pump and rubber seal- new oem. New o-ring in sump, but maybe it dislodged during install.

Leaks: No leaks anywhere except the alum. washers at banjo bolts for top luber @ 5000ish rpm and above.

Oil light flickers only at upper rpms under hard accel, with less than 5qts oil in engine.

If I crank engine with starter (valve cover off) oil flows nicely through rockers.

Oil in bike is Maxima 10w40 premium conventional. Break in

Clutch issues aren't as extreme as it my sound in print, more of an annoyance, operates normal with 4qts. oil.

only about 300 miles on engine so far since reassembly.

I don't Know how I would be able to focus on one of those mini guages while above 7 grand rpm range full throttle. I will install one before spring though, was on my to do list anyhow.

Looks like I am gonna drop the sump and see if I find anything, I'll check the clutch over too while I'm at it. I will pick up some of those washers for the banjo's. Was planning on trying a different type and was wondering what others recommended, Thanks for the info.
      And thanks for all the reply's everyone.

Comment

This oil light flicker sound familiar. It happened also for me when I installed the 750 pump gears along the turbo. The light started to flicker at top end rpm after hard acceleration. Especially if the oil wasn't completely warm. I think it's combination of two things: 1) increased oil flow keeps more oil in the top end so the oil level in the sump gets lower 2) under acceleration oil goes to rear of the sump and the pick-up is in the front. Together these two mean that there is very little oil in front side of the sump at high rpm and under hard acceleration. So the pick-up can easily suck air.

I solved this by making a deepened oil pan and moving the oil pick-up to the deepest part of the pan. I guess that just moving the pick-up facing rear or in the middle would work too.
        Arttu
        GS1100E EFI turbo
        Project thread

Comment

Originally posted by ArttuH View Post
          This oil light flicker sound familiar. It happened also for me when I installed the 750 pump gears along the turbo. The light started to flicker at top end rpm after hard acceleration. Especially if the oil wasn't completely warm. I think it's combination of two things: 1) increased oil flow keeps more oil in the top end so the oil level in the sump gets lower 2) under acceleration oil goes to rear of the sump and the pick-up is in the front. Together these two mean that there is very little oil in front side of the sump at high rpm and under hard acceleration. So the pick-up can easily suck air.

I solved this by making a deepened oil pan and moving the oil pick-up to the deepest part of the pan. I guess that just moving the pick-up facing rear or in the middle would work too.
          Did you ever confirm a drop in oil pressure?

Comment

Moving the pickup tubes from facing forward to facing to the rear is an old suzuki dragbike trick. It helps a lot

Comment

Before I started this thread I was thinking the oil moving rearward and increased volume being pulled/pushed up top could be my issue. But thought "maybe I'm crazy 'cause"I haven't seen it mentioned before."
              I figured I would see if anyone brought it up.
              Thank you very much for confirming my suspiscions.

Now how do you go about changing pickup? If I remember the bolt pattern only will fit one way.

Comment

I want to address a couple things.

WHO uses 3AN hose to the top end?? I and all my racer friends use #4AN( bigger for more flow and less restriction) 3 is for braking systems

there is no way you are losing pressure when you rev up your bike.

if the o ring was dislodged you would have no pressure at idle. and very little at 3K rpm. you would have ruined the cams and rockers by now.

the idiot light is lying to you. Check the weak spring that controls the contact for the dash light.

the pick up modification is trickier than you might think. just turning it backwards will have you starving for oil when slowing down. (same logic as what has been offered)

more oil in the crank case making the sensor work properly is wrong too.

I run less than 3 QT in my 1428 monster. I run the 1100 oil pump gears. #4 AN in a vortex top end oiler. when I am worried about oil; pressure I check the pressure at the rear main galley and take the cam cover off and visibly inspect how wet it is. never had a oiling problem . I do not worry about flickering lights either. let it flicker.

also remember this is a hi flow - low pressure system. Pressure is not as important as a plain bearing engine. totally opposite here you want high oil flow and not much pressure.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Did you ever confirm a drop in oil pressure?
                  Not with a gauge but I was using 0.3 bar (4.5 psi) pressure switch instead of original oil light switch. So I'm sure that there was real pressure drop.

On the other hand I think that short pressure drops aren't that dangerous for the engine, like trippivot said. But I was using a plain bearing turbo which isn't that forgiving.
                  Arttu
                  GS1100E EFI turbo
                  Project thread

Comment

Hmmm. Good info, the only part that doesn't figure is the light doesn't flicker if I overfill the oil. How could the oil level affect the spring or contact?
                    I do agree that you can't always believe idiot lights.
                    As said I will add a pressure gauge. I had thought if the o-ring in sump was dislpaced pressure would be bad down low. Maybe I should just double check everything and leave it alone. Whats odd is one thing is telling me I'm losing pressure @ high rpm, yet thats when the oil is pushing out of the oiler fittings.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                      Hmmm. Good info, the only part that doesn't figure is the light doesn't flicker if I overfill the oil. How could the oil level affect the spring or contact?
                      I do agree that you can't always believe idiot lights.
                      As said I will add a pressure gauge. I had thought if the o-ring in sump was dislpaced pressure would be bad down low. Maybe I should just double check everything and leave it alone. Whats odd is one thing is telling me I'm losing pressure @ high rpm, yet thats when the oil is pushing out of the oiler fittings.
                      Thanks
                      sounds like with more oil the sump pickup (the straw if you will) stays wet and you never run dry. The theory is that too much flow gets at acceleration bets to much oil out of the sump and the straw goes dry and the light goes off. Given your observations that sounds like what is occurring.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                        I want to address a couple things.

WHO uses 3AN hose to the top end?? I and all my racer friends use #4AN( bigger for more flow and less restriction) 3 is for braking systems
                        If you are referring to my pic, that is for a guage only. The prefabbed lines for my oiler are -4AN as well.

there is no way you are losing pressure when you rev up your bike.

the idiot light is lying to you. Check the weak spring that controls the contact for the dash light.

more oil in the crank case making the sensor work properly is wrong too.

Well I think that is in dispute to be confirmed with a pressure guage. Checking the oil pressure switch would not hurt. The fact that he can correlate the light coming on with 1 qt less oil suggests he starts to run dry at some point.

if the o ring was dislodged you would have no pressure at idle. and very little at 3K rpm. you would have ruined the cams and rockers by now.

Agree

the pick up modification is trickier than you might think. just turning it backwards will have you starving for oil when slowing down. (same logic as what has been offered)

I run less than 3 QT in my 1428 monster. I run the 1100 oil pump gears. #4 AN in a vortex top end oiler. when I am worried about oil; pressure I check the pressure at the rear main galley and take the cam cover off and visibly inspect how wet it is. never had a oiling problem . I do not worry about flickering lights either. let it flicker.

also remember this is a hi flow - low pressure system. Pressure is not as important as a plain bearing engine. totally opposite here you want high oil flow and not much pressure.
                        Makes me think for my street motor to remove my 750 gears and put 1100 gears back in. I will decide after getting my pressure guage working and riding with it. I dont mind 6 PSI, but if I'm hitting 9-12 psi often then that is probably too much (as measured at the right port near oil filler cap)
                        Last edited by posplayr; 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know why they have the oil pickup drawing from the front?
                          Why couldn't it just be picked up from the center, omit the tubes and draw from the recess in the pan?
                          Seems that you would have a good chance of not sucking air on accel or decel that way.

Comment

Does anyone know why they have the oil pickup drawing from the front?
                            Why couldn't it just be picked up from the center, omit the tubes and draw from the recess in the pan?
                            Seems that you would have a good chance of not sucking air on accel or decel that way.
                            I would get a 1.5" gauge with the cheap plastic sensor line first to see what your pressure is. I have your same configuration and from having observed my working gauge (before it died) find it hard to believe I would get a pressure drop. But you never know unless you measure it.

It would cost closer to $100 for a 2 1/8" lite guage with SS line unless you want it permanent.

Comment

I have a VDO micro and a SunPro automotive in the garage, the sunpro doesn't read below 10psi though.
                              My issue is I can't test ride this thing till spring unless we get a good thaw. I can and will hook the little one up to the port behind cyl. some time this week and see what it gets at idle and revving stationary in the shop.
                              Do you know of any accurate electric setups availible? I wouldn't mind a permanent one up by the bars.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM. Reason: added something

Comment

I have a VDO micro and a SunPro automotive in the garage, the sunpro doesn't read below 10psi though.
                                My issue is I can't test ride this thing till spring unless we get a good thaw. I can and will hook the little one up to the port behind cyl. some time this week and see what it gets at idle and revving stationary in the shop.
                                Do you know of any accurate electric setups availible? I wouldn't mind a permanent one up by the bars.
                                I'm planning on a permanent handlebar mount with these. For oil pressure I definetly like mechanical and would not go electrical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Details later.

Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

The best thing for accuacy is to get as much defelection as you can; that means using a 15 psi scale. Engine vibration and oil pressure pulsation will be big factors to accuracy so that is the reason to mount off engine and get a small diameter hole at the port to push oil to the gauge.
                                Last edited by posplayr; 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X