oil pressure drop @ hard throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
    Paco, after reading through all 5 pages of this, I HIGHLY recommend you drop the oil pan & make SURE your o ring in there isn't crushed beyond holding pressure. That's where I would start. Ray.
    Yea, I get similar pressure numbers to saffa and hard for me to imagine losing pressure unless something is wrong; that O ring is the easiest thing to check.

works well too ...but as you say when cold it goes up and pins its self until warm. once warm it sits at about 6 or 7 under normal running about 1 or so at idle ...0.2 at idle in traffic....and 10 or so when doing illegal stuff

Comment

Thanx Ray,
      Week end is coming so Maybe I'll get back on track with this.
      Got side-tracked last weekend with the '82 I picked up, and now dealing with the weather is keeping me from the garage.

Comment

I had this same thing happen last night on the 700. I gave it a gear under heavy acceleration and my light flashed for a brief second.

So after reading this entire thread I am a little confused here. Is this something to be concerned about? I checked my oil cold with the bike standing straight up this morning and it was a bit low..is that all it is?

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Paco, after reading through all 5 pages of this, I HIGHLY recommend you drop the oil pan & make SURE your o ring in there isn't crushed beyond holding pressure. That's where I would start. Ray.
          what ray said...
          also,
          to reverse your oil pump pickup you do not have to weld anything(you can but you don't have to)...
          just a little clearance work and the pickup can get reversed..ive been doing it this way for years to drag race engines for myself and others.
          bottom line is this street bike shouldn't need a reversed pickup.
          is this bike fixed?
          was it even broken?
          whats the scoop?

Comment

I actually just got back to working on this earlier this week.
            Things I did;
            I installed mechanical gauge.

fixed leaking oiler with dowty seals.

replaced o-ring in sump.

filled oil to correct/recommended level.

As others said the oil pressure max's out when cold.
            calms down after warm.
            Took it for a ride and the pressure definitely drops when @ high RPM. pressure climbs with rpms to past max 15psi on gauge, then the light comes on and gauge bottoms simaltaniously. Chop the throttle pressure comes back in a sec or 2.

I haven't tried adding more oil yet. It will be storming all weekend so maybe next week I'll give it a shot and see what it does before ripping the pan off again.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
              I actually just got back to working on this earlier this week.
              Things I did;
              I installed mechanical gauge.

fixed leaking oiler with dowty seals.

replaced o-ring in sump.

filled oil to correct/recommended level.

As others said the oil pressure max's out when cold.
              calms down after warm.
              Took it for a ride and the pressure definitely drops when @ high RPM. pressure climbs with rpms to past max 15psi on gauge, then the light comes on and gauge bottoms simaltaniously. Chop the throttle pressure comes back in a sec or 2.

I haven't tried adding more oil yet. It will be storming all weekend so maybe next week I'll give it a shot and see what it does before ripping the pan off again.
              sounds like all the oil is being pumped from the sump and it is all in the head and trying to get back to the sump. The pickup gets exposed and there is a sudden drop in pressure when it sucks air.

I have not been able to run mine hard, but the one time I did rev to about 8-9K in 2nd the pressure just pegged. As you can image with the 1166 this is not a long period to get to red line in 2nd. What was unusual was when I back off the pressure stayed pegged.

I also have a 550 cooler with the top end oiler so that cooler restriction could keep the flow down so I dont run out of oil. Without the cooler and small lines, you are draining your sump.

Recall the coolers are after the pump but before the oil filter. The pressure gauge is then after this.

Recommendation: Add an oil cooler like either an 1150 or 550 oil cooler and don't use oversized lines.
              Last edited by posplayr; 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

This is how us bad ass old school turbo dragracers make the oil light NOT flicker

Comment

With a little adjustment and a milling machine...this is the stock oil pickup turned sideways and trimmed...along with the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                    With a little adjustment and a milling machine...this is the stock oil pickup turned sideways and trimmed...along with the pan.
                    thats what i posted but without the picture tutorial..
                    ive been doing it that way for years.

Comment

Me too it is hard to explain to someone who has never even thought of this without pictures. I do this for a job all day long on aircraft as a trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                        Me too it is hard to explain to someone who has never even thought of this without pictures. I do this for a job all day long on aircraft as a trainer
                        Nice ............................

Comment

I was explaining to Jim about that mod but the pics puts it all together. Thanks Kris!
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            I was explaining to Jim about that mod but the pics puts it all together. Thanks Kris!
                            Yea I was too busy determining the G invariant flow rate derivatives

Comment

With any luck I'll have some time this weekend to work on my own sh*t.
                              Thanx all for your help, its much appreciated.
                              I'll update as I go.

Comment

Did the Mod

Comment

Working...
                                X