GS550/Kat750 project: opinion/advice/ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550/Kat750 project: opinion/advice/ideas

NOT MINE.....just the inspiration for what I want to do.......

I bought a wrecked 2000 Kat750 a while ago w/the intention of transplanting the motor into an '81 Kaw GPz550 chassis.

I've always loved the look of the Wes Cooley era GS superbikes. I recently started thinking that it would be more appropriate to do an all Suzuki build, in that "S" style. I've always preferred the smaller chassis bikes to the larger ones (I have several Kaw KZ/GPz550's). I did find a thread from "06 on this site about a member who did a oil-cooled 750 transplant into an older 550. Does anyone have any info related to this type of project ??

I'm still looking for a GS550 ,'77-'82 E or ES, or titled frame and the other necessary parts from the bike that I would need. Any leads on this stuff would be appreciated also. I'm located in NY, near the Kingston area (100 mis N. of NYC).

I have the complete Katana , so I would be able to use all the electrics, gauges and switchgear. I would most likely use the forks and wheels also. I have a few Kawasaki alloy swingarms w/eccentric adjusters (ZR550 & 750). I have also collected a few pair of piggyback res. shocks over the years. I have a pair of Works roadracers and 2 pair of Ohlins (1 pair of the older type and 1 pr. of the newer type).

Anyone familiar w/ a megaphone type exhaust that fits the 750 motor ? Probably wont be too hard to find a header on ebay. I have several Kerker cans in my amassed parts.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions before I get started, I'm new to the Suzuki stuff so any input about which years/models would work better would be great.

A couple questions that I have at this point are:

Swingarm dimensions: Length ? Shock mount width and distance from Sw arm pivot? Pivot width and pivot bolt diameter?

Will Kat triples bolt on to the GS frame ?

Paint/Decals ? Yosh scheme or Suzuki "1000S" Red/White or Blue/White

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM.

The member that was transplanting the oil-cooled 750 into a 550 chassis passed away. His user name was krash. I don't think Pete ever got around to finishing the project. We ended up raffling off an 1100 of his for his widow. He and I corresponded quite a bit about the 750 conversion and he felt he could make it work.

Swapping the front end should be doable.

Comment

Billy,

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear of that member's passing: the raffle was a nice gesture.

Still trying to get my hands on a frame. I have almost all of the other parts that I want to use. The frame will need a lot of mods to the shock mounts and all the necessary tabs and brackes added (or removed).
      Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM.

Comment

project...

Im very interested in your project as I come from a similar school of thought.
        In my case I HAVE a 82 550MZ Kat & I am interested in splicing it with an 83 GS750E &/or 1st Gen GSXR components.
        Not to hijack your thread but Im interested in:
        F. End swap
        R. End conversion to the single shock suspension
        Engine swap with either the GSXR of the TSCC GS mill(s)
        and lastly the addition of the BIG KAT's fairing to the MZ.

Crazy?

Comment

Working...
        X