Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frame change! - Trans replacement! - Fork rebuild!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK...some of the new stuff arrived this week so...

Removed and replaced the steering head bearings...
    The dremel cutoff wheel and chisel worked good to remove the old bottom bearing...

Put the new swing arm bearings in the freezer before using the threaded rod trick to put them in...

And arm in frame with old shocks...hope to get some new ones soon....

Ordered up new wheel bearings today...just figured as long as I'm here...
    Also ordered a set of 17/48 530 sprockets, 6mm spacer and an X ring chain...
    When I got the bike it had 15/43 530 stuff on it.
    But I never liked the tight turn around the front 15 sprocket, plus the swing arm was getting hit with the chain.

Oohh boy...
    Next week is March and I'm still waiting on my fork bushings...
    And I need to replace the trans yet...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

can i ask why a new frame?

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
        can i ask why a new frame?
        This is the old frame...note the weld

The weld was solid and the bike was stable...but it always bothered me..
        So when I had a chance to pick up an new frame...

Comment

Yesterday the new bushings arrived for the forks, so I put those together...
          New seals, new damper bolts and washers, new upper and lower slider bushings....
          Got those mounted...ready to add oil and drop in the progressive springs...

Got home today to find more parts have arrived....yippee!!!

Comment

New bearings, new sprocket, wheel with dirty tire...installed...

Today I want to get the front end together.
            And hopefully, brakes, bars and wire harness....
            Then I can move the bike out of the way and split the cases on the motor...

Comment

nice work , keep it up
              is that a avon tire? i just got a new am 20 wondering how well it will perform, i need a rear still, i hear there a great tire

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                New bearings, new sprocket, wheel with dirty tire...installed...

Today I want to get the front end together.
                And hopefully, brakes, bars and wire harness....
                Then I can move the bike out of the way and split the cases on the motor...
                Bob,

Does your new chain have a rivet-type master? If so, I have a Motion Pro chain tool if you'd like to use it.

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  Bob,

Does your new chain have a rivet-type master? If so, I have a Motion Pro chain tool if you'd like to use it.

Thanks,
                  Joe
                  Many thanks for the offer, Joe...but I purchased a matching clip type master when I bought the chain...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    Many thanks for the offer, Joe...but I purchased a matching clip type master when I bought the chain...
                    Keep it in mind. the tool works very well for installing the plate on clip-type master links. This can be a real bit@h without the tool.
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                      Keep it in mind. the tool works very well for installing the plate on clip-type master links. This can be a real bit@h without the tool.
                      OK...thanks!

I just split the cases on the motor and I'm trying to decide if the new, (used), transmission is that much better than the old one...

The dogs on 2nd aren't as worn on the new one, but they are worn...
                      I'll probably bring it up to the Byron banquet tomorrow...the guy who rebuilt my drag bike trans might be there...

Comment

OK...today's update.

Put in the fork oil, springs and then put on the front wheel and installed the wiring harness...

After that the bars went on and the rear fender...
                        So then I moved her off the stand and out of the way...
                        End of stage one.

Comment

Let's go with stage two...replacing/fixing the transmission...

Got the motor opened...and as I said above, I need to figure out if the dogs are the problem with second gear, or something else...
                          (That will be a separate thread)

Second time I've open an 1100E motor...much easier this time...

Comment

All that drag racing & this is only the SECOND time you've opened one? Were you having someone else do it or did you just NEVER have any breakage?! LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              All that drag racing & this is only the SECOND time you've opened one? Were you having someone else do it or did you just NEVER have any breakage?! LOL!!! Ray.
                              My drag bike is a Klemme built bike...dependable and low stress...
                              Well known in the Midwest....

Heck...I never even took the valve cover off it for three years...
                              And when I did...all the valves were in spec...

Comment

Got my new seals Thursday to put the cases back together...

Finished cleaning the mating surfaces yesterday...

Just finished putting the motor back together...

If all goes well I will have the motor back in the frame today...
                                Last edited by Baatfam; 03-07-2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X