'83 GS750E Streetfighter Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS750E Streetfighter Build

In this post I'm going to keep a timeline of my Streetfighter build, much like 80GS1000 did with his build, which turned out absolutely fantastic! I love his bike, Billy Ricks', and posplayr's bikes. There are so many other nice bikes on this forum as well, but those three stick out in my head the most. I hope I can get mine built up as nice as everyone else's.

I lost all my teardown pics when my mem card accidently got broken in half..... And since we all know what an '83 750E looks like, I'm just gonna start with the build from the ground up. To start, I bought all of these parts, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=153118. The front end is already on for mock up, still need a tire and wheel spacers though, and I plan on using the '05 swinger. The pivot bushings are at a machine shop right now getting some bushings pressed into them to adapt the swinger to my 750's pivot bolt. After I get the bushings back, and a front tire on, I can start setting up my rake and trail, and ride height. 80GS1000 had about 8 inches from the bottom of the frame if I remember right, so that's what I'm gonna aim for. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to get a different wheel to be compatable with the '05 swinger, due to it using a 28mm axle, when my bandit wheels use a 20mm axle.

Here is the progress so far.....

Very nice! keep the pics coming

Comment

Really nice. If I hadn't stumbled across a nice Works shock I'd have done a swingarm conversion. The one you're using looks great. At some point I may have mine braced like the one on this 750.

Comment

Here's the first page of that article.

Comment

I've never looked at the newer wheels, but is there any chance of doing a bearing swap to make the rear wheel work?

Comment

How close does the shock pivot on the GSXR swinger line up with the GS frame? Height or length issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I've never looked at the newer wheels, but is there any chance of doing a bearing swap to make the rear wheel work?
              I already checked, but the Bandit wheels use 20X47X12mm bearings, and the newer wheels from a 750 use a 28X52X12mm bearing, and I searched for a 28x47x12mm, that was a no go from anyone it seems. The arms on my Bandit wheels are an oval, whereas, the newer ones like 80GS1000 used are not so round I think, and picky me would kinda preferr them to match, which has me looking at wheels from the early 2000's, but they use a 32x52x13mm bearing, and the exact same 28mm axle (by part number) as what belongs in my '05 swinger. So how were they hanging 32mm bearings on 28mm axles? Stepped spacers? Of all the pics I have been able to find so far, I cannot find any stepped spacers....

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                How close does the shock pivot on the GSXR swinger line up with the GS frame? Height or length issues?
                As far as wheelbase, I will be a cm or two off, but that's ok I think. I have not fabbed any mounts for the shock yet, as I am still waiting on the pivot bushings, and working on the ride height, but will probably be doing a setup that I found in 80GS1000's build thread, when I have more time to goof off at work, I'll search that one and show you my ideas. I have customers waiting on me to fix their cars right this minute. Haha!!

Comment

Nice build.

That thing is gonna be slick. Keep the pics coming. And good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

The lower shock mount I'm going to fab up very similar to this, since our frames are so similar in this area. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&postcount=421

For the top, I'm thinking about this, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&postcount=329

Comment

Hey Billy, What forks are you using, 750 or 1100? Also, what kind of ground clearance do you have at the bottom of your frame?

Comment

Originally posted by safarijack View Post
                        Hey Billy, What forks are you using, 750 or 1100? Also, what kind of ground clearance do you have at the bottom of your frame?
                        I'm using '95 750 forks with a 954 triple. I picked up alot more clearance than I had with the '88 forks. Looks like I have 7.5-8 inches between the frame and ground. You don't need as much clearance as stock with the shorter travel on newer forks. Between the compliance of the radials and being able to set up on the stiff side because of the radials you can lose a little clearance and not have it be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          I'm using '95 750 forks with a 954 triple. I picked up a lot more clearance than I had with the '88 forks. Looks like I have 7.5-8 inches between the frame and ground. You don't need as much clearance as stock with the shorter travel on newer forks. Between the compliance of the radials and being able to set up on the stiff side because of the radials you can lose a little clearance and not have it be an issue.
                          Hmmm, ok, that's what I will shoot for after I get the swinger pivot solid, the right size axle, and a tire on the front rim, and get the engine thrown back in for a more proper mock build. If you get a chance would you mind showing me what exact rear sets you have, and how you mounted them?

BTW, if one of the mods wants to move this to the new project bikes thread, that would be cool. I overlooked it when I started this thread.

Comment

Right side is like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories.

Legt side like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...Q5fAccessories. This one is missing the linkage and shift lever.

I welded plates to the frame just where the subframe angles up near the pivot bolt. I used 1/4" plate so it would be thick enough to drill and tap. The size of the plates can be trimmed down to where very little weight is added. You lose weight anyway ditching the stock pegs and mounting points.
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Hey dude what swingarm is that, did you have to really mess with it to make it fit into the frame?

Comment

Working...
                              X