'83 GS750E Streetfighter Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by safarijack View Post
    How much did your machine shop charge you to do that, because the only one in town here that will even consider making something like that wants $150 to do it, opposed to the $32 I have invested in the bushings. I'm stuck on a budget cause I'm a single dad, but I don't want to skimp on safety or something that could affect freeplay or alignments ya know. How thick is the brim part of your tophats?
    IIRC it was one hour of CNC shop labor which came out to $60. The brim on the tophat is pretty thin - don't remember exactly but it's 1-2 mm max. The brim acts a dust cover for the pivot bearings really.

I brought the swingarm down to the machine shop to have them measure everything and make sure it'd fit for this application.

The swingarm you're using is 225 mm at the pivot so minus the stock GSXR tophats it'll slot right in.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

WOW!!! That's a much better price than I was quoted! There is a variance in production of either the measure I am using as compared to yours, or the swing arm as compared to your, because I am measuring 226mm, which doesn't give me any clearance for top hats. I noticed the pivot bearings have seals in them, and that there is room behind them. Maybe it would be possible to narrow the swinger to gain the clearance, rather than weakening the frame. There is lots of material on there.

Comment

Looking good!

I have been away from mine for about a yr and a half.
        Starting back on it once I get over this ankle injury.
        I still need to finish the USD front end and new tank.

Good Luck on your Build-
        I am going to keep watching it.

Peace,
        Ron

Comment

The tophat should sit on the inner lip of the swingarm pivot like the attached image. The ID is the diameter of the GS swingarm bolt, the OD is the ID of the swingarm bearing, and the length is such that it sits INSIDE and FLUSH the swingarm pivot sitting between the internal swingarm spacer and the lip on the inside of the pivot. The swingarm will still rotate on the swingarm bearings this way identical to the way the stock GSXR tophats work. Make sure you grease up your tophat and your pivot bolt well before installing.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Ok, so the swinger is in, and now it's time to mount the top of the shock and the linkage, and brace the frame. Anyone know what type of steel to order, all the online places sell it by alloy type.

Comment

Originally posted by safarijack View Post
              Ok, so the swinger is in, and now it's time to mount the top of the shock and the linkage, and brace the frame. Anyone know what type of steel to order, all the online places sell it by alloy type.
              For tube thats in a stressed area such as the top shock mount you need 25mm dia 2.5mm upwards wall thickness cfs2nbk, for the brace in the V of the frame both sides 25mm dia 2mm wall thckness erw will do & keep the weight down any flat plate can be 5mm upwards in thickness mild EG nothing special

Comment

Working...
              X