No announcement yet.

'83 GS750E Streetfighter Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Billy, I was pretty sure that's what you did, but it was hard to tell. I cut the original wings off of it months ago. I just didn't know what rear sets you used to match the angle of the frame so good, and that is what I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
      Hey dude what swing arm is that, did you have to really mess with it to make it fit into the frame?
      It's an '05 GSX-R 1000, the '06 is the same. With the bushings installed, its too wide by just a few mm, so I plan to take the same amount of material off from each side to make it fit, I think I will only be shaving 3-4mm so it shouldn't be a big deal. The big deal is going to come when I have to align the wheels, which also goes along with the chain........

Comment

Originally posted by safarijack View Post
        It's an '05 GSX-R 1000, the '06 is the same. With the bushings installed, its too wide by just a few mm, so I plan to take the same amount of material off from each side to make it fit, I think I will only be shaving 3-4mm so it shouldn't be a big deal. The big deal is going to come when I have to align the wheels, which also goes along with the chain........
        If you take off the stock GSXR swingarm bushings, does the swingarm slot right in? It did on my 1000 frame. If that's the case get some reducer bushings made to allow you to use the GS swingarm bolt inside your GSXR swingarm. Just make sure the bushings fit flush with the GSXR swingarm pivot. Works great and doesn't involve removing material from a structurally important part of the frame.

Are you going to brace the frame and use a steering damper?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          If you take off the stock GSXR swingarm bushings, does the swingarm slot right in? It did on my 1000 frame. If that's the case get some reducer bushings made to allow you to use the GS swingarm bolt inside your GSXR swingarm. Just make sure the bushings fit flush with the GSXR swingarm pivot. Works great and doesn't involve removing material from a structurally important part of the frame.

Are you going to brace the frame and use a steering damper?
          The swinger goes into the frame with about 1mm of clearance without the bushings that look like top hats. I don't have the bushings with me right now, they are having reducer bushings put in them right now at the machine shop. I think they will be ready to pick up tomorrow. I'll have my camera charged and can show you what I have going on tomorrow.

Yes, I will be bracing the frame, and using a stabalizer, I think there is a mount on my lower triple clamp.

Comment

Thats a nice big lever that COULD twist the frame right at the weakest point needs braces on the bend under the tank or maybe a tube from the top of it back into the top tube area, triangulation is the key word here

Comment

Wow good point tone! I had already planned to do some frame bracing, and I do like the way that 80GS1000 did his mount, so I'm gonna have to get some things mounted a lil bit more solid, and then see where the shock wants to be mounted and then add my bracing. I'm also planning to use a much smaller battery too, so that will help with space issues.

Hey 80GS1000, what did you do about the tube in the swinger between the pivot bearings? Did you do anything to center it, or just let it sit in there?

Comment

Wow good point tone! I had already planned to do some frame bracing, and I do like the way that 80GS1000 did his mount, so I'm gonna have to get some things mounted a lil bit more solid, and then see where the shock wants to be mounted and then add my bracing. I'm also planning to use a much smaller battery too, so that will help with space issues.

Hey 80GS1000, what did you do about the tube in the swinger between the pivot bearings? Did you do anything to center it, or just let it sit in there?

It's just a spacer for the pivot bearings so I didn't worry about it. Take a look on the Bikebandit.com 05 GSXR 1000 swingarm schematic. Here are some tips on creating your monoshock mounts and steering geometry if you want.

Comment

I remember that article...

Have you considered a oilcooled gsxr 750 or 1100 motor? I have always thought that could be a really cool bike. Ii would think 750 motors are pretty cheap nowadays, everyone wants an 11. I bet it would fit nice.

Comment

If you are building a fighter you REALLY should be on this forum dude....

A forum community dedicated to Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, builds, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
                      If you are building a fighter you REALLY should be on this forum dude....

www.customfighters.com

Trust me, I am. Haha!! I recognize you from over there. I just haven't posted yet. It's hard to find time to upload pics cause I'm usually doing it from my phone. Got an update coming later...... Stay tuned

Comment

Trust me, I am. Haha!! I recognize you from over there. I just haven't posted yet. It's hard to find time to upload pics cause I'm usually doing it from my phone. Got an update coming later...... Stay tuned
                        Or, you might consider Vintage Fighters

Nice build, by the way! I'll be watching with interest!

Comment

Looks good so far. I like it!!!!

Comment

So I finally have time to post a complete update. My kid got a hold of my camera and had the date set wrong somehow....
                            Anyway, I have learned that the pipe in between the pivot bearings is just a spacer to keep the bushings from contacting the swinger to eliminate friction. This pic is with only one bushing fully installed

And this pic is with the other side fully inserted which causes this one to have a 1mm gap for the swinger to float in

The total width from bushing to bushing is 233mm, and the clearance in my frame is 226mm. The plan is to now make the swinger gap as small as possible by trimming the insides of the bushings, and taking off as little material as possible from the frame, unless I can figure out a way to narrow the swinger. I also keeping in mind taking off equal amounts of material so that I can have my swinger lined up in the middle of the frame, and keeping wheel alignment in mind as well. If anyone has any ideas or knowhow on that, please feel free to chime in!

Now to the matter of hanging the swinger once I get it into the frame. The GS uses a 16mm pivot bolt, and the GSXR uses a 22mm pivot bolt.

So I got these cool precision machined bushings that are capable of a 4,000lb load each! They were supposed to be press fit into the original bushings, but they are not, which would allow them to slide all the way through the pivot area. With that in mind, and the fact that there is already one pipe in the pivot, I'll just add another one, to keep the reducer bushings out where they belong, and hone out the inside of this one enough for the GS pivot bolt to pass through.

Any input from anyone more knowlegable than me or with a better idea than me, feel free to add your input please.

Comment

You're on the right track except for the fact you're using the stock GSXR swingarm bushings....

Ditch the stock GSXR tophats and get some made that sit flush inside the GSXR pivot. You'll gain enough clearance that you don't have to remove any material from the frame or swingarm. You don't want the brim of the tophat to go outside the swingarm as you lose clearance.

The most critical bits are that the OD fits inside the swingarm bearings, the ID fits your pivot bolt, and the overall length including the brim of the tophat is flush with the swingarm so it'll fit in the frame.

If I could do it over again I'd probably get these made out of bronze but 440 stainless is very hard and gall-resistant.

Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2010, 03:44 PM.

Comment

How much did your machine shop charge you to do that, because the only one in town here that will even consider making something like that wants $150 to do it, opposed to the $32 I have invested in the bushings. I'm stuck on a budget cause I'm a single dad, but I don't want to skimp on safety or something that could affect freeplay or alignments ya know. How thick is the brim part of your tophats?

Comment

Working...
                                X