Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie needing help. It's riding season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needing help. It's riding season!

I have a bone stock 82 gs550l with running issues. I have tried numerous things but im turning to the experts of gs's and that you guys. In neutral or with clutch pulled in itll rev like a raped ape, although when your riding you will get to 6k and the bike seems to lean out bad. At idle it seems to backfire or miss. I took the bike to 6k and shut it off and coasted home to pull a plug and its simple to tell its lean. Only happens when under a load. Stock air box, new oem replacement air filter, new intake boots, and carbs been checked twice. Please help yesterday it barely would do 50mph!!!!!!

and carbs been checked twice
    What exactly does this mean? The problem is carb related. You are not getting sufficient gas at certain settings and maybe a tad too much at others i.e. revs like nuts when clutch in. That would indicate that certain circuits are not operating correctly and are likely partially plugged ( i.e. in the midrange and above).

Strip, dip and rebuild with fresh o-rings as per the carb cleaning tutorial. That has got to be a starting point. Have the valves been adjusted? That also needs to be looked into.

Despite what looks like insurmountable issues right now. This is simple stuff. Get the carbs really clean, bench synch them at least and see where you lie.

Let us know when you clean these puppies.

Good luck. Pulling for you and you can do it.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

did you try running it with the petcock on 'pri' try that and see if it runs better

Comment

Yes I have ran the bike on pri. did not make a difference.

The carbs being checked twice is just because I had no other idea of what the problem may be so I had the carbs gone through a second time over me to make sure they were fully funtional with zero issues which proved to be true.

As far as valve adjustment I have to say would be a good thing for me to look into the reason being....... If you start the bike and let it idle you hear backfiring cant tell if its in airbox or exhaust which hence makes me to believe the valves are either staying open to long or not long enough. Im in the stages of setting bike to tdc and all that jaz following the steps. Is it possible the cam tensioner is not tensioning the chain enough? Chain may be slappin cause there is noise up on top by valve cover had the cover off once and saw nothing.

Thank you for the replies please keep them coming I will answer anything and keep updated to find this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Okay, but have you stripped and cleaned your carbs as Spyug asked? New O rings in them?

New O rings at the head?

How do you define "checking" ?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I define checking as i went through made sure all gaskets were happy looking and that they were clean. I checked to make sure jets were clear of debris and that jazz....

Comment

Might want to make sure you have the correct heat range plug in there too. In an NGK you should have an 8 heat range, like a B8ES or BR8ES. If it's a 7 or 6 you might be running too hot.

Comment

dfrnt good idea im gonna look into that i think im running crappy champions

Comment

Originally posted by Slick View Post
                  I define checking as i went through made sure all gaskets were happy looking and that they were clean. I checked to make sure jets were clear of debris and that jazz....
                  Dude, if you're gonna do all that you might as well dip em. It dont take much for these things to have you running in circles trying to find whats wrong. When all in all a simple carb cleaning according to Basscliffs tutoral was the remedy.

Think of it as building a model car as a kid, only easier.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

dfrnt good idea im gonna look into that i think im running crappy champions
                    B8ES.. buck fifty at Auto Zone.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

Comment

What kind of business dips the carbs? Ive heard of having them tumbled as well with some sorta of beads!!!!

Comment

Are you just referring to a hot tank?

Comment

If all you've done is check the jets to see if they are clear you haven't done anything significant. There are tiny passages in the carbs that become clogged, screens on the float seats that become clogged, o-rings that shrink and harden causing leaks, and a multitude of other things. Look on the site's homepage for the carb clean-up series to walk you through properly going through your carbs. It will never run right until you do. The heat range of your plugs won't make a dime's worth of difference if the carbs aren't right.

Comment

What kind of business dips the carbs? Ive heard of having them tumbled as well with some sorta of beads!!!!
                            You dip em!

Auto Zone or the like has a product called Barrymans. Its a parts cleaner in a gallon can like what ya might get paint in.
                            20 bux. Gentle yet effective.
                            Read everything you can and build em yourself. You'll me amazed how easy they are to work on.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                            X