1100 ES going 1428

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    Ingvar that is one bad assed ES... I love that model, I own one too, though mine is not as built as yours, but I am planning the suspension upgrades like youve done though!! VERY VERY NICE!!
    Thank you, I also like the model and the blue/white color scheme but modified with modern parts to make it fast and handling well.
    /Ingvar

Comment

front forks

Did you have to trim fairing to fit front forks as far as the width?What bike are rotors and calipers from?

Comment

Awesome !! Those GSXR heads with a few easy mods really wake up the GS motor.

Have you done a compression test yet?
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Hi Ingvar,
          did you just plug all oil cooling ports in the GSXR head? Does it work like that? I would be worried of not getting the heat out, but maybe I worry too much...
          Greets
          Flo

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
            Hi Ingvar,
            did you just plug all oil cooling ports in the GSXR head? Does it work like that? I would be worried of not getting the heat out, but maybe I worry too much...
            Greets
            Flo
            I forget all he said but RapidRay does that mod as well, including plugging the oil ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
              Hi Ingvar,
              Greets
              Flo
              Just remove the internal oil cooling stuff and plug the return passages. The oil will return via cam chain tunnel. I have no cooling problems not even with the 1428 12,5:1 configuration. I use a 48 plate Mesa Cool oil cooler and a thermostat. The thermostat does not open full very often. For road racing the cooling for sure will be an issue but for street use there is no problem.
              The fairing has not to be trimmed when using the -89 GSXR fork. The calipers are -00 Busa and the rotors are special made for me by ISR to fit my Yamaha FZR front wheel and Suzuki fork.
              I put it on the dyno a couple of weeks ago, 174@10000 (RWHP), running rich. The power curve was still rising when hitting the rev-limiter, so there would probably be a couple of more hp if I dare to go higher than 10000rpm. I use these pistons, http://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail....983&AppID=7729 and running 1,0mm squish. Anyone knows if it is safe to rev over 10000rpm.
              On the same occasion there was two Blackbirds with slip-on and PowerCommander delivering ~138rwhp and one R1 -00 delivering ~140rwhp, so older is better:-)
              /Ingvar
              Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Those rods will go 11,000 rpm no problem. I do engines with the 493 rods that see 12,000 rpm without problems. What did you set the piston to deck height at & how thick is your head gasket? Most big GS copper head gaskets are .043 in thickness. This is due to the fact that at high rpm, when all the play is removed from the bearings & allowing rod stretch, that amount USUALLY maxes out at .040 & leaves an extra .003 piston to head clearance at full stretch. This is all assuming that you are using a .000 piston to deck height. If the piston is say .005-.010 DOWN in the hole, you have even more clearance & safety margin. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by IngvarB View Post
                  I put it on the dyno a couple of weeks ago, 174@10000 (RWHP), running rich. The power curve was still rising when hitting the rev-limiter, so there would probably be a couple of more hp if I dare to go higher than 10000rpm.
                  On the same occasion there was two Blackbirds with slip-on and PowerCommander delivering ~138rwhp and one R1 -00 delivering ~140rwhp, so older is better:-)
                  Awesome...those guys were probably stunned at seeing your dyno numbers!
                  '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Those rods will go 11,000 rpm no problem. I do engines with the 493 rods that see 12,000 rpm without problems. What did you set the piston to deck height at & how thick is your head gasket? Most big GS copper head gaskets are .043 in thickness. This is due to the fact that at high rpm, when all the play is removed from the bearings & allowing rod stretch, that amount USUALLY maxes out at .040 & leaves an extra .003 piston to head clearance at full stretch. This is all assuming that you are using a .000 piston to deck height. If the piston is say .005-.010 DOWN in the hole, you have even more clearance & safety margin. Ray.
                    Thanks for the information.

I use a Cometic GSXR 83mm steel shim head gasket. The deck heigh + head gaskets is what I call “squish”. I have adjusted the squish i.e. piston to head clearance, to 1,0 - 1,1mm (0,0392" - 0,0431"), differs a little between the cylinders. The squish was carefully measured with fully torqued head bolts and adjusted with different base gaskets.
                    So you think raising the rev-limiter to 11000 would be a safe operation?
                    /Ingvar

Comment

11,000 should be a safe redline. I wouldn't hold it there for 15 minutes but for bursts between gears or passes at the dragstrip, if it makes power to 11,000, shift it at 11,000! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        11,000 should be a safe redline. I wouldn't hold it there for 15 minutes but for bursts between gears or passes at the dragstrip, if it makes power to 11,000, shift it at 11,000! Ray.
                        Thank you Ray.

/Ingvar

Comment

Best time so far this year

The 2010 season is soon ended here in Sweden. It is just one race-occasion left. My best time (so far) this year below. I'm running the bike with exactly the same setup as in the street, not lowered, touring gearing 17/42 etc so I’m quite satisfied. The risk to lose the red-light racing when commuting is minimal
                          Now it's time to plan the modifications for next year.

Cheers
                          Ingvar
                          /Ingvar

Comment

Finally, a time slip I do not understand....Uhm....60 footer looks kind of slow....Nice picture though...sweet looking bike...Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
                              Finally, a time slip I do not understand....Uhm....60 footer looks kind of slow....Nice picture though...sweet looking bike...Billy
                              Does not everyone know Swedish?
                              For those who don't:
                              Reaction 0,1579 sec
                              60-fot 1,6842 sec
                              1/8 mile 6,3826 sec, speed 119,04 mph
                              ¼ mile 9,7586 sec, speed 143,33 mph

The 60 footer I have to work on. I do not race very often so I guess it can be lowered quite a bit even with my bike. Should it be possible to reach 1,5 sec ?
                              The bike is not a race bike, it's a street bike also used for weekend trips and commuting.

/Ingvar

Comment

OK, makes sense now, that 1/4 mile trap speed is very impressive for a street bike. Good indicator that you are making some good horse power. Very nice, dont get to work too quickly now, they'll think your too overzealous....Billy

Comment

Working...
                                X