No announcement yet.

GS1150 suspension upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike felt like it was hinged in the rear for quite a while the first few years I had it. I was checking the torque on the pivot bolt for the first time and with only slight pressure it snapped. Turned out it had been cracked and was just hanging on by a sliver. I never knew if it came from the factory that way or if a really large pothole I hit before that had done it.

Comment

From what I was reading, the Hayabusa just requires an upsidedown install with some spacers to make it fit, although swapping out the spring for an 1150 spring might be a good idea too.

This is all theoretical on my end. I know people have done it and been very happy, but I haven't done it yet.

Still have a Hayabusa shock laying around that I need to get rid of.

Comment

This is the right shock...

I think this is too but the price is horrible...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
          From what I was reading, the Hayabusa just requires an upsidedown install with some spacers to make it fit, although swapping out the spring for an 1150 spring might be a good idea too.

This is all theoretical on my end. I know people have done it and been very happy, but I haven't done it yet.

Still have a Hayabusa shock laying around that I need to get rid of.
          PM sent

Thanks Mr salty monk, Do you think that this shock off a 900 of similar vintage is the same (it has a palatable buynow)

I have asked them all for shipping quotes.

Cheers

Comment

That would appear to be the same shock but ask them to give you the eye/eye length to be 100% sure. Some of the Monster shocks are shorter.

On the 750 the spring on the Ducati appeared to be coming close to correct with my 17 year old nephew on the back. He is the same size as me or slightly bigger so with your 100lb & the added weight of the 1150 it may be somewhere close.

I am now running the stock spring on the Ducati Shock, the Ducati shock lets you run a lot more preload than the stock Hydraulic adjustment (the stock has no more than 3/4" preload adjustment where as this has around 1.5-2"). I preloaded it to max & fitted it & it seems a bit stiff so I will back it off a bit.
            I was working on the idea that backing it off was easier than increasing it!!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              That would appear to be the same shock but ask them to give you the eye/eye length to be 100% sure. Some of the Monster shocks are shorter.

On the 750 the spring on the Ducati appeared to be coming close to correct with my 17 year old nephew on the back. He is the same size as me or slightly bigger so with your 100lb & the added weight of the 1150 it may be somewhere close.

I am now running the stock spring on the Ducati Shock, the Ducati shock lets you run a lot more preload than the stock Hydraulic adjustment (the stock has no more than 3/4" preload adjustment where as this has around 1.5-2"). I preloaded it to max & fitted it & it seems a bit stiff so I will back it off a bit.
              I was working on the idea that backing it off was easier than increasing it!!
              Heh!

You have pretty much convinced me. I will fire off another question to all of them asking for confirmation of the length. From memory I think the stock shock is 330mm and the Ducati shock you used is 315mm?

Comment

The Stock shock is 330mm as is the Ducati Shock. Length is the same. Only difference is slightly less travel on the Ducati shock.

I am currently running 10 out of 20 clicks on the rebound adjuster. It's a bit of a pig to get to once it's fitted but feasible with a special made tool (read some bent metal).

The Preload is easy to access as it's underneath.

You cannot run the plastic dust cover inside the Ducati spring (at least on the 750 you can't) but you can if you fit the stock spring.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Got a response from the ebay trader selling (trying to) the monster 750 shock for $175.

"We don't give measurements sorry. It usually gets us in trouble.

Thanks
                  Dave
                  SunCoastCycleSports.com"

Darn! Looks like I'll have to just shell out the $175 and leave myself at his mercy with the shipping costs.... and take a punt on whether it will fit

Comment

What a joker... Ask him to take a picture of it laying next to a tape measure.. that way he doesn't have to make the call, you make it yourself like in the other auction that ends on the 17th.

No way I would pay $175 for that shock... You can get a new one from YSS for about 300 bills.
                    Works do a good one for about $500.
                    Likely that Progressive probably have one too.

I paid less than $50 for mine "all in"

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

The one on the 17th looks like 14 inches (355mm)?

As for your $50... Pfffffffffft. That won't even cover shipping for my one

Comment

Dan, Do you happen to know the piston sizes used in the stock shock and/or the Ducati shock?

In assessing new shocks I see that the bigger piston sizes are more expensive and was wondering if the cheaper 30mm piston shocks would be all that good

Comment

13" is eye to eye. That tape looks like it's running end to end.

No idea on piston size.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Another response.

Hello, our apologies but if the measurements aren't stated in the auction we
                            do not have them available. All parts are prepped and packaged for delivery
                            then placed in storage at one of our locations. It is also our corporate
                            policy not to give measurements
                            on many of the parts we sell since angles of measurements
                            differ from one person to the next.

If it is too hard for them to measure then I ain't buying. What's wrong with these people

Comment

another response to shipping and size question

"Sorry brother, too much pain in the ass factor."

Don't ya love ebay

Comment

Colin

Buy the cheap one and have it sent to me. I'll measure it and send it on for you....
                                If it's wrong you can re-list it and I'll ship to whoever buys it from you.

Dan
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X