Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb tuning with a Colortune, help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb tuning with a Colortune, help please!

Hello,
    I got a colortune to help in rejetting my bike. Testing the idle mixture is simple enough, but how do i use the colortune for midrange and full throttle?

I went up a few sizes on the mainjet. My idle is good blue color, but when i give it 1/2 to open thottle the psark turns pure yellow. Does this mean the main jet is too big? I havent done anything to the needle yet.

I read this on another thread,

"tuning in the needle part of the circuit with a colourtune you'll need to disconnect a sparkplug and hold the throttle around half - three-quarters open. (If you dont pull a plug it will rev its nuts off)"

any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks,
    DG

Yellow flame=too rich. So yes, your main is too big. Go down a size at a time until you get a nice blue flame on the mains. As far as removing a plug (other than the one you're replacing with the colortune?) for the needle circuit, I never heard of that. I'm curious why you would need to do that as well....

Comment

thanks i wasn't sure if all throttle ranges were supposed to burn blue.
      i was lacking power in mid and full range, so i figured i was lean- could a rich condition cause poor acceleration too?
      THANKS!

Comment

Theres a guide on the Morgan page here http://www.carbtune.co.uk/colortune.html

Its a scan of 4 pages from the instructions maybe? Can be kinda hard to read
        Page 1
        Page 2
        Page 3
        Page 4

So according to those, you should have a slight yellowish color midrange....if I'm reading those pages correctly

Comment

Do any U.S. guys order and use this Colortune? What's the price of it? I don't know the conversion from Euro's. Is there a place in the U.S. to get it?
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

i got mine on ebay-it was used and missing the mirror so it was only $15, when i looked there were plenty for $45
            if you see one missing the mirror its worth itt, you can use a any old mirror.
            Has anyone used the colortune to jet there carbs? Can you give me some advice? I though it was running lean but the spark is yellow when i give it throttle??Thanks,
            DG
            Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

A Colortune is great for getting adjustments and jetting fairly close, but you still have to fine-tune by test riding to see how the engine performs under load.

Also, the directions mentioned that you should not use the Colortune plug for extended periods at high rpm. What exactly that means in terms of time and RPM limits is hard to tell.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

is it correct that when you open and close the throttle up to 4000 rms, the spark should be yellow, not blue?
                at high revs what color should it be?
                Thanks!

Comment

Colourtune is a good tool to get you in the ballpark with the idle.
                  That's it
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
                    is it correct that when you open and close the throttle up to 4000 rms, the spark should be yellow, not blue?
                    at high revs what color should it be?
                    Thanks!
                    if you snap the throttle open to the needle or main and release, it will and should be yellow (rich) for a moment, when held there it will turn blue if you have the right needle settings and jets in.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Also, the directions mentioned that you should not use the Colortune plug for extended periods at high rpm. What exactly that means in terms of time and RPM limits is hard to tell.
                    open the throttle to needle circuit, look at the color then shut the throttle. twist the throttle again to the main jet. 2 seconds at each is more than enough to tell where you are at. adjust needle/change main jets as needed. When it's burning blue on all circuits, do plug chops on each circuit to confirm under load.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    A Colortune is great for getting adjustments and jetting fairly close, but you still have to fine-tune by test riding to see how the engine performs under load.
                    Agreed. revving on the stand is a good indication of where you are at, but plug chops should still be done to confirm. Colortune works best for setting idle circuit. On the needle and main it saves you from having to do plug chops at every step of the way.

Comment

Ive seen the color tunes, but how exactly do they work?

Comment

Originally posted by Danjal View Post
                        Ive seen the color tunes, but how exactly do they work?
                        you take your spark plugs out and replace them with the colortune plug one at a time (or if you want you can buy 1 for each cylinder but I think that would be unnecessary expense...). It has a clear "window" at the top of the plug that allows you to see inside the combustion chamber. You start the bike and adjust your air/fuel mixture by what color the flame of the igniting vaporized fuel mixture is inside of your engine. Yellow flame=too rich, White/blue white=too lean, Bunsen Burner Blue=just right.

Comment

Working...
                        X