Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS250T - general performance

Hi everyone,
    This is more directed to any current or previous 250T owners, but I just took mine out for its first ride on the street since I got it in Feb. and it seems to be seriously lacking in power. Now I know its only a 250 and i can't expect much anyway, but I mean in first gear I could barely get up a steep hill near my house. Is this normal? Does something need to be tuned? Its kind of dangerous to even pull out from a turn because it takes time to get going.

Extra info: I just cleaned the carbs and replaced intake boots/orings and airbox boots. It starts up quickly now, but takes a while and a lot of choke before it will idle by itself. It has a full tank of fresh gas. Also I'm pretty sure it has an exhaust leak somewhere, and a slight oil leak (possibly from the shifter, but looks more like a gasket). It tends to smoke a lot from under the engine from oil burning on the surface. I typically take a rag to it and wipe it down before I start it to cut down on the smoke. Thanks for any insight.

Steve

No, they are supposed to go OK. Air filter clogged?
    Exhaust clogged? Valve adjustments way too tight? Serious fuel shortage? Very low compression?
    Your problem could be lots of things, just go one at a time, you will find it.

I had a GS1000 that couldn't get up to 50mph without a long hill, it turned out there was a big ball of steel wool inside the exhaust collector.

Yeah, WTF.
    POs can and will do most anything to screw up a bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So like tkent02 says, these bikes should go pretty well. I had a brand new one when I was 17, even though my memory is fading, I can recall riding two up to racing at Silverstone. We have another now that my son and I are restoring for him to learn to ride on. We haven't taken this one up the road yet as the tires should be showing up today - YAY! (but that's another story).

We've stripped and cleaned the carbs on this one also with new boots, o-rings etc. all round, the full works and the choke is only needed for a very short time like a minute, maybe. What you describe about taking a long time to idle without choke doesn't jive with the way ours warms up.

Afraid tkent02 is on the money, just have to work through potential causes one by one until you (we) figure it out.
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone, I figured out what the problem was. Its pretty epic. You ready for this?

...I forgot to connect the spark plug wire to the right cylinder. DOH!! I wanted to kick myself when I noticed that. After hooking it up, it backfired once or twice but screamed to life, and I took it on a very enjoyable long ride. Again, thanks

Comment

Glad it was something simple. Now enjoy the bike!
          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL
          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

kind of makes you wonder how the guys ride around on the CBR125's eh. And don't worry I have forgotten to connect spark plug wires before too...

but mine was on my teachers truck in shop class. I failed that job lawl.

Comment

Working...
            X