Head Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Work

Got my engine back today and my engine builder took pic of head when he got it back from Star racing.

The only thing left from the old ported head is the core. Everything else is new including carb boots.

24.5 X 28.5 stainless valves in stock seats with competition valve job. Thing of beauty when they're all cleaned up.

Looks like a piece of modern art !!!
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Very nice sir....

Comment

mmmmm pooooorrrrnnnn

Comment

Thanks, hopefully it will flow better and make better use of the RS38s.

How the bike was running as well as it was is a mystery to me. I wouldn't have touched it if I hadn't been rear ended. Head had chipped valves, broken springs and guides, shagged cam and rocker surfaces but it wasn't smoking or using any oil or making any ultra strange noises. Go figure. Went with the milder G3 cams (.330 lift) which are very close to the removed Yosh Stage I cams that were shot.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
            Thanks, hopefully it will flow better and make better use of the RS38s.

How the bike was running as well as it was is a mystery to me. I wouldn't have touched it if I hadn't been rear ended. Head had chipped valves, broken springs and guides, shagged cam and rocker surfaces but it wasn't smoking or using any oil or making any ultra strange noises. Go figure. Went with the milder G3 cams (.330 lift) which are very close to the removed Yosh Stage I cams that were shot.
            Nice head, sounds like you are going to be building a monster . Since you already have the suspension no worries here.

Did you get any pictures of the damage the old head had. Nice to see high mileage fatiuge and what tends to break although most of these 1100's seldom see that many miles.

Comment

Sweet looking, cannot wait to see it buttoned up
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Here's a shot of the new cam chain and old sprocket. That is actually the original stock 1100 sprocket that the original builder slotted to work with the Yosh Cams. New builder found slots weren't big enough on one side to get the right numbers so went with new slotted sprockets. Probably made sense with the originals having high miles and marrying up with a new chain.

Comment

And a shot looking down the open head.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Nice head, sounds like you are going to be building a monster . Since you already have the suspension no worries here.

Did you get any pictures of the damage the old head had. Nice to see high mileage fatiuge and what tends to break although most of these 1100's seldom see that many miles.
                    Jim,

I did end up with a large doggy bag full of old parts. I'll try and post up some forensic shots soon. Need to clean the parts up a bit.
                    Last edited by isleoman; 04-24-2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X