Split Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split Cases

Had picked up this Stan Gardner prepped crank from a GSR member last year. Was going to use it in a spare engine but decided to use it in the original motor.

When I bought the crank it had a big end. Builder found my 82 had a small end even though it had been warrantied with a welded crank back in 85. Suzuki must have been using small end replacement cranks to limit having to replace generator parts. Stan swapped the ends on the new crank for me. The old 82 crank still looked pretty good for having 107K on it. Got it as a spare now, along with a loose big end that I can probably use as a top for my Xmas tree this season.

Builder felt the tranny still looked fine so left it alone. The clutch hub, basket and springs were very worn. Had a spare basket from the same GSR member and this is what it looks like now. Builder went with an 1150 clutch hub, part of which is steel and supposedly more reliable. I'm looking for 250K miles on this build.

Didn't go with high flow oil pump gears and left oil pick up alone (fingers crossed). Do plan to use one of the top end oilers I have along with a cooler. .

Originally posted by isleoman View Post

Had picked up this Stan Gardner prepped crank from a GSR member last year. Was going to use it in a spare engine but decided to use it in the original motor.

When I bought the crank it had a big end. Builder found my 82 had a small end even though it had been warrantied with a welded crank back in 85. Suzuki must have been using small end replacement cranks to limit having to replace generator parts. Stan swapped the ends on the new crank for me. The old 82 crank still looked pretty good for having 107K on it. Got it as a spare now, along with a loose big end that I can probably use as a top for my Xmas tree this season.

Builder felt the tranny still looked fine so left it alone. The clutch hub, basket and springs were very worn. Had a spare basket from the same GSR member and this is what it looks like now. Builder went with an 1150 clutch hub, part of which is steel and supposedly more reliable. I'm looking for 250K miles on this build.

Didn't go with high flow oil pump gears and left oil pick up alone (fingers crossed). Do plan to use one of the top end oilers I have along with a cooler. .
    Looks real good, I'm feeling better about my tranny. It is smooth a silk but 50K miles. If your looks great at 100K I'm having no worries.

Oh by the way, make sure the builder changes out the rubber o-ring around the starter neck. Things can get messy otherwise.

Comment

Any reason you aren't installing the 750 pump gears? If is CHEAP insurance & with the oiler I wouldn't NOT use them. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Any reason you aren't installing the 750 pump gears? If is CHEAP insurance & with the oiler I wouldn't NOT use them. Ray.
        I think he is worried about oil leaks (my trial and tribulations). I never split my cases and have fount one leak after another. The last one today was the o-ring around the starter.

I replaced everything with OEM gaskets as much as possible.

Especially with Isleoman's cooler and top end oiler; he should go for it.

Comment

Jim, as many leaks as you have had "spring" up, I would check your breater cover to make sure it is venting correctly. The ONLY way some of the leaks you have had show up would be because of excessive crankcase pressure. If the breather is venting correctly, I would do a leakdown on your motor (engine to you engineers!) to see if you have excessive blowby. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Jim, as many leaks as you have had "spring" up, I would check your breater cover to make sure it is venting correctly. The ONLY way some of the leaks you have had show up would be because of excessive crankcase pressure. If the breather is venting correctly, I would do a leakdown on your motor (engine to you engineers!) to see if you have excessive blowby. Ray.
            I did try and blow through it just recently but will see if I packed too much mesh into the valve cover.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              I think he is worried about oil leaks (my trial and tribulations). I never split my cases and have fount one leak after another. The last one today was the o-ring around the starter.

I replaced everything with OEM gaskets as much as possible.

Especially with Isleoman's cooler and top end oiler; he should go for it.

Jim, good memory. I am worried about oil leaks, flickering oil lights and having to reverse the pick up or add new pick up tubes. At the same time I'm worried about enough oil not getting to the head. We went with oem gaskets every where. I friggin worry about everything. Funny thing is the one mantra I have found invaluable from the FZ1 site is "Ride more, worry less".

Ray, thanks for the good advice, I may end up doing it later on. The last thing I want to have to do is take the motor/engine back out for an oil leak or worse yet starved cams.

Comment

Working...
              X