First Gen GSXR1100 Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
    I can tell you that the CBR are offset is 25mm or 1 inch. I just measured it yesterday.

I checked the 1150's and they are roughly 35mm.

I wonder if anyone reading this thread has any knowledge of how the resultant changes of trail from switching bottom triples will effect the 1150 EF handling.

I can't be too sure about what I have been experiencing handling wise with Baz as he's pretty flogged out and the other EF even more so.

That said, in comparing handling differences between my 1100G and the EF I feel that while the EF is much lighter and more flickable into corners than the G, the G feels much easier to move around on and change lines mid corner than the EF, which feels more locked in and requires deliberate counter steering at times. I find I am much more comfortable in an overcooked corner on the G and can lean over a lot more.

I dare say that my poked suspension on the EF's is the problem and that simply upgrading them (cut fork springs and use spacers + gruntier Monster shock to rear) will make the world of difference.

I should probably wait and see how that works out for my fully faired EF before I leap into spending up large on upgrades for Baz (my slightly less poked naked EF). If the cheap fix works well enough I might save the money and put it into fixing the motor. However it is unlikely to be that easy so I best keep planing plan A
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2010, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      You drill the top clamp & add risers & normal bars not clipons. It's likely that you will still end up with some drop at the front unless you get a custom triple made up.

Dan
      Thanks Dan,

I missed this post.

Makes sense that things get more complicated though that shouldn't be too difficult, I am starting to see the logic of a cu$tom triple.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
        Thanks Dan,

I missed this post.

Makes sense that things get more complicated though that shouldn't be too difficult, I am starting to see the logic of a cu$tom triple.
        ABM makes some nice pieces. They run about 270-300 dollars (215 euros), and I'm sure shipping from Germany is expensive as well, but it's about as close to a perfect solution as you can get, I think. They have a top triple for a first gen GSXR, already adapted to work with a normal style bar versus clip-ons. Slick stuff, but you pay for it. Might be less expensive than having a completely custom item machined though.

Comment

I checked the 1150's and they are roughly 35mm.

I wonder if anyone reading this thread has any knowledge of how the resultant changes of trail from switching bottom triples will effect the 1150 EF handling.

I can't be too sure about what I have been experiencing handling wise with Baz as he's pretty flogged out and the other EF even more so.

That said, in comparing handling differences between my 1100G and the EF I feel that while the EF is much lighter and more flickable into corners than the G, the G feels much easier to move around on and change lines mid corner than the EF, which feels more locked in and requires deliberate counter steering at times. I find I am much more comfortable in an overcooked corner on the G and can lean over a lot more.

I dare say that my poked suspension on the EF's is the problem and that simply upgrading them (cut fork springs and use spacers + gruntier Monster shock to rear) will make the world of difference.

I should probably wait and see how that works out for my fully faired EF before I leap into spending up large on upgrades for Baz (my slightly less poked naked EF). If the cheap fix works well enough I might save the money and put it into fixing the motor. However it is unlikely to be that easy so I best keep planing plan A
          I think larger radial tires and better brakes are the decisive factors and not the offset.

Comment

Thank you posplayr.
            I have worked out what you have done with the formulas. very clever stuff

Makes it a lot easier to understand how any proposed changes will effect clearances. I haven't seen trig used in excel spreadsheet before. Have you thought about extending it to include formula that works out the finished rake, trail and weight ratio front to rear????

Thanks again for your tool of enlightenment.
            I sent another spreadsheet I think I did the two above but not the weight shift.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              I sent another spreadsheet I think I did the two above but not the weight shift.
              You da Man!

Thanks Jim. I didn't realise that the first (and now second) spread sheets had multiple pages

Comment

You da Man!

Thanks Jim. I didn't realise that the first (and now second) spread sheets had multiple pages
                You should be able to see that the GSXR750G has more offset than the GSXR1100G (1.68" v.s. 1.47" respectively). On the other hand the GSXR1100G has the same trail as the GS1100ED (i.e. 116mm)

In swapping over the 1st Gen GSXR forks to a GS1100ED the trail is 120mm and 126mm respectively for 750/1100 triples (both use the GSXR1100 fork legs)

By adding about 1" of rear ride height the ED with GSXR 1100 triple is back to 120mm of trail which is where I am.

Comment

You should be able to see that the GSXR750G has more offset than the GSXR1100G (1.68" v.s. 1.47" respectively). On the other hand the GSXR1100G has the same trail as the GS1100ED (i.e. 116mm)

In swapping over the 1st Gen GSXR forks to a GS1100ED the trail is 120mm and 126mm respectively for 750/1100 triples (both use the GSXR1100 fork legs)

By adding about 1" of rear ride height the ED with GSXR 1100 triple is back to 120mm of trail which is where I am.
                  Cool. I see that. It looks like the head angle steepens up by almost 1 degree. That would make it a little faster to turn in... right?

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                    ABM makes some nice pieces. They run about 270-300 dollars (215 euros), and I'm sure shipping from Germany is expensive as well, but it's about as close to a perfect solution as you can get, I think. They have a top triple for a first gen GSXR, already adapted to work with a normal style bar versus clip-ons. Slick stuff, but you pay for it. Might be less expensive than having a completely custom item machined though.

Thank you Turtleface. Will check them out.

Have just got a price for local supply of the following parts for the conversion.

I can supply the following GSXR1100 (95-99) front end parts as a package @$1300

Forks
                    Triple tree
                    Front wheel, axle, speedo drive
                    Clip on bars
                    Pair of front discs in very good order
                    Pair of 6 pot calipers in very good order
                    Front brake master cylinder (needs new lever) and brake lines
                    Front guard

I can also supply a back end package at $700 comprising of
                    Swingarm
                    rear wheel, axle, spacers
                    Rear sprocket
                    disc
                    caliper and bracket and caliper stay arm
                    Rear shock
                    Shock linkages
                    That's $2000 NZ (U$1376)

If I bought this stuff on ebay the shipping would cost half that, so unless I can buy all those bits for well less than U$1000 I may as well buy of this dude (when I can scratch that much together away from the prying eyes of SWMBO)

Still have to freshen the motor and that could cost me another $3000NZ. Without labour but including the $2000 that the bike owes me, that puts the price of the rebuild at about what it would cost for a good 8 to 10 year old Bandit 1200.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you Turtleface. Will check them out.

Have just got a price for local supply of the following parts for the conversion.

That's $2000 NZ (U$1376)

If I bought this stuff on ebay the shipping would cost half that, so unless I can buy all those bits for well less than U$1000 I may as well buy of this dude (when I can scratch that much together away from the prying eyes of SWMBO)

Still have to freshen the motor and that could cost me another $3000NZ. Without labour but including the $2000 that the bike owes me, that puts the price of the rebuild at about what it would cost for a good 8 to 10 year old Bandit 1200.
                      Price can add up but for that sub-total I would buy the bandit and part it out keeping what you need. A clean running engine is worth some money. Also look for a GSXR to part out it would be even cheaper

I have most of wheels,forks, brakes and it was not going to be near $2K

Comment

Price can add up but for that sub-total I would buy the bandit and part it out keeping what you need. A clean running engine is worth some money. Also look for a GSXR to part out it would be even cheaper

I have most of wheels,forks, brakes and it was not going to be near $2K
                        Yeah! I have thought of that, but a couple of things against it are
                        1. $'s (or lack of them) and ...
                        2. If I bought a whole bike I would have great difficulty breaking it down. I'd only want to fix it

Maybe I need to be a bit more patient and keep looking for better opportunities.

Comment

Ok. I missed out on the 87 bits, but as luck would have it, I am going to purchase a complete front end and wheels from a 91 GSXR tomorrow, from the same guy who sold the other stuff. Looks like I will get some USD forks instead of the 87 RSU forks, and a 180 rear, which might be a bit of a squeeze with the stock swinger. He has 87 gauges, but I don't think they will work with this front end. That will probably be the biggest hurdle to jump in this whole swap. Seems I have a lonnnnng term project on my hands.

There's a ported GSXR1100 oil cooled head currently for sale here as well for $700, but I think I cool it for awhile on the purchases..
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2010, 11:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                            Ok. I missed out on the 87 bits, but as luck would have it, I am going to purchase a complete front end and wheels from a 91 GSXR tomorrow, from the same guy who sold the other stuff. looks like I will get some USD forks instead of the 87 RSU forks. Looks like a 180 rear tire too, which might be a bit of a squeeze with the stock swinger. He has 87 gauges, but I don't think they will work with this front end. That will probably be the biggest hurdle to jump in this whole swap. Looks like I have a lonnnnng term project on my hands.

There's a ported GSXR1100 oil cooled head currently for sale here as well for $700, but I think I cool it for awhile on the purchases..
                            Well done. Doing a similar upgrade to full 95 front and rear ends (swinger brakes wheels USD's triple etc).

USD's seem like the best choice bang for buck wise on the upgrade unless you want to try and retain the original look (which can't be done with the wheels). The USD's really make them look smick. Particularly if you go the full naked path. Those HD Vrod lights look way cool in front of a nice set of polished USD's, triples and bars.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I like these better myself. The fork legs, tripples and brakes are RF900. Wheel and fender are GSXR.
                              Last edited by kingofvenus; 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM.
                              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                                Ok. I missed out on the 87 bits, but as luck would have it, I am going to purchase a complete front end and wheels from a 91 GSXR tomorrow, from the same guy who sold the other stuff. looks like I will get some USD forks instead of the 87 RSU forks. Looks like a 180 rear tire too, which might be a bit of a squeeze with the stock swinger. He has 87 gauges, but I don't think they will work with this front end. That will probably be the biggest hurdle to jump in this whole swap. Looks like I have a lonnnnng term project on my hands.

Cool, someone else in the Ottawa area with a long term project.

What gsxr is it from 750 or 1100?

Comment

Working...
                                X