First Gen GSXR1100 Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks posplayr

"2002 cbr 954 step down triple and a Vortex billit top triple" sounds like more Rockinghorse droppings to hunt down Don't suppose you know what forks were used to suit the clamp?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
      Thanks posplayr

"2002 cbr 954 step down triple and a Vortex billit top triple" sounds like more Rockinghorse droppings to hunt down Don't suppose you know what forks were used to suit the clamp?
      I got 2002 cbr triples off of ebay for 50 bucks. I had to change the bearings to suit our bikes and weld steering stops but nothing major-well, welding was sourced out.

Nice thing is your wheel spacers for a gsxr front end is the same if you are using a complete 750 front end like I did at least for a 93 gsxr front end.

In Classic Motorcycle Mechanics, there is a guy that used a K4 gsxr front end in his cbr triple tree.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

just use a set of gsxr750wp/wn forks. theyre a direct drop in ,stem,bearings and steering stops.

ive had them on my 1100ET for years now and still havent ground out on anything and thats with a stacked 4 into 1 system.

Comment

Thanks guys. Found one on ebay that's at $79.

Does the 954 top clamp match the GSXR bottom clamps (750 only? any limitation on what year?)

Interesting that many GSXR front ends are missing the top clamp anyway.

it looks like the 954 clamp will allow the forks to be set down by about an inch (maybe another 3/4" if forks are set down flush with top clamp... how then are bars attached?) and another 1/2" is gained if a 17" wheel is used that. That makes for 2&1/4" of the 4" difference (between GS1150 forks and GSXR forks).

It seems that the front would still be 1&3/4" lower or am I missing something? If radials are used is the tyre profile higher?

Comment

You drill the top clamp & add risers & normal bars not clipons. It's likely that you will still end up with some drop at the front unless you get a custom triple made up.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
              just use a set of gsxr750wp/wn forks. theyre a direct drop in ,stem,bearings and steering stops.

ive had them on my 1100ET for years now and still havent ground out on anything and thats with a stacked 4 into 1 system.
              You also have mono shock right? The extra rear height adds to the clearance.

Comment

Thanks guys. Found one on ebay that's at $79.

Does the 954 top clamp match the GSXR bottom clamps (750 only? any limitation on what year?)

Interesting that many GSXR front ends are missing the top clamp anyway.

it looks like the 954 clamp will allow the forks to be set down by about an inch (maybe another 3/4" if forks are set down flush with top clamp... how then are bars attached?) and another 1/2" is gained if a 17" wheel is used that. That makes for 2&1/4" of the 4" difference (between GS1150 forks and GSXR forks).

It seems that the front would still be 1&3/4" lower or am I missing something? If radials are used is the tyre profile higher?
                I have a spreadsheet that pulls most of these calculations together.

I dont have it here at work. You looking for :
                17" wheels
                120/70-17 and 180/55-17 tires
                2nd gen GSXR 750 forks
                Going 4:1 v.s. 4:2:1
                Going monoshock or extended shocks?
                Drop triple?

I can do a first cut and send it; You have MS Excel? or pdf?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  You also have mono shock right? The extra rear height adds to the clearance.
                  this is true ....but i have an EZ too with twin shocks and that one is the same height off the ground ...although the rears are a tad longer so that may have a bearing on clearance

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
                    this is true ....but i have an EZ too with twin shocks and that one is the same height off the ground ...although the rears are a tad longer so that may have a bearing on clearance
                    I'm pretty sure PJ (80GS1000) went to monoshock to get the clearance he needed after putting a late model GSXR 1000 fork on. In addition later he went 4:2:1 to pick up more clearance as his V&H woudl hit at time.

Katman says with the 750 forks and drops but with same V&H he only occasionally hits hut is when IIRC he is downshifting into a bottom turn to the right.

Comment

I have a spreadsheet that pulls most of these calculations together.

I dont have it here at work. You looking for :
                      17" wheels
                      120/70-17 and 180/55-17 tires
                      2nd gen GSXR 750 forks
                      Going 4:1 v.s. 4:2:1
                      Going monoshock or extended shocks?
                      Drop triple?

I can do a first cut and send it; You have MS Excel? or pdf?
                      You're a champion Posplayr.

I have Excel and pdf reader/writer.

What mean "4:1 v.s. 4:2:1"?
                      Will likely stick with the mono shock that suits whatever swingarm I end up fitting. May go with GSXR or Bandit 1200 or RF900 front and rear ends if I can find any with the wheels and rotors and calipers etc at a fair price.

Comment

You're a champion Posplayr.

I have Excel and pdf reader/writer.

What mean "4:1 v.s. 4:2:1"?
                        Will likely stick with the mono shock that suits whatever swingarm I end up fitting. May go with GSXR or Bandit 1200 or RF900 front and rear ends if I can find any with the wheels and rotors and calipers etc at a fair price.
                        I sent the Excel file.

4:1 vs. 4:2:1 would account for about 0.5 to 075" depending upon make. It is hard to get that any other way except drop triple and rear shocks.

Comment

4:1 or 4;2;1 is the style of headers. Basically, it is 4 pipes down into one collector then to muffler or 4 pipes into 2 pipes then one collector then muffler.

Also, I would not match a cbr triple top with a gsxr bottom. Tried to keep them the same make model and year.

Comment

I sent the Excel file.

4:1 vs. 4:2:1 would account for about 0.5 to 075" depending upon make. It is hard to get that any other way except drop triple and rear shocks.
                            Thank you posplayr.
                            I have worked out what you have done with the formulas. very clever stuff

Makes it a lot easier to understand how any proposed changes will effect clearances. I haven't seen trig used in excel spreadsheet before. Have you thought about extending it to include formula that works out the finished rake, trail and weight ratio front to rear????

Thanks again for your tool of enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                              4:1 or 4;2;1 is the style of headers. Basically, it is 4 pipes down into one collector then to muffler or 4 pipes into 2 pipes then one collector then muffler.

Also, I would not match a cbr triple top with a gsxr bottom. Tried to keep them the same make model and year.
                              Ah! The headers. I knew I'd seen it before. Cheers.

Hmmm? At first glance I didn't think it would be an issue (as long as the fork centers are the same) but the rake could change a lot if the fork positions in top and bottom clamps varied in relation to the steering head.

Gosh that could be a trick way to change the rake if that was the desired outcome, although having the forks at a different angle to that of the steering head would likely result in a very different feel... maybe like a crest or valley in the middle with either resistance or assistance when changing direction slightly.

Does anyone know if the fork distance forward or back of the steering head on the various triple clamps is different between GS's, GSX's, GSXR's and other bike makes?

Spreadsheet anyone???
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I can tell you that the CBR are offset is 25mm or 1 inch. I just measured it yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X