Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom engine swap

own an 82 gs850g
    just wondering if any fuel injected engines like the gsxr750/1000 would fit in the frame of my bike. i know i would have a lot of work but i think it would be worth it. what about a different swing arm? also what about the suspension in the front maybe inverted forks but off of what? i like the idea of an old bike with new technology. or i might just be out of my freaking mind... either case any info would be useful.

Isn't that a shaftie? You mean you want to replace the engine, rear suspension, and front suspension. Why not just get the gsxr and put on different bars? Seriously, I think it would be a waste of time and money.

Comment

or i might just be out of my freaking mind...

You are. Just do what Swanny says. The GS850 is a sweet ole shaftie that does so many things well. Leave it alone! Want a modern bike? Then go out and get one, and don't try to make an 850 do what it wasn't meant to do.

Nick

Comment

ok forget the engine.... that was stupid. but what about the front suspension. any ideas?

Comment

Even if your bike was a chain model. You can't use a fuel inj engine, the fuel inj will interfer with the main top frame tube. Just keep the 850 as she was made. Add some good rear shocks, progressive fork springs and a fork brace. If you want to change the front end check the tips forum section, do a search. The GS850 is enjoyable bike to ride. If you want to turn it into a GSXR, just go out and buy one and pay 5 X the insurance premium

Comment

If you want more power, the 1100G motor DOES fit in your frame , surprises me that Mick didn't mention that. There was an 1000G streetfighter in a recent issue of Streetfighters magazine, bigbore and everything 8O

Comment

That is right a 1000 or 1100 8 valve motor will bolt straight in, you wil however need the shaftdrive off the donor bike as the flange is larger on the bigger motors.
              GSXR front end will bolt straight on, you may need to swap bearings though and fabricate some steering stops, DO NOT use the front end off an 88 750 it is to short.
              Dink

Comment

a gs 1100 huh... that oughta add a little more excitment to the good ol gal. Ive been going through the for sale items on in the for sale forum and looked on ebay but havent really seen any. anyone know where i can get a good running motor and shaft? does the swing arm house a bigger tire one the 1000/1100 or is the same and does fit on the 850 frame?

Comment

You can steal it from Nick , very cheap that way, and you know for sure it hasn't been trashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                    That is right a 1000 or 1100 8 valve motor will bolt straight in, you wil however need the shaftdrive off the donor bike as the flange is larger on the bigger motors.
                    GSXR front end will bolt straight on, you may need to swap bearings though and fabricate some steering stops, DO NOT use the front end off an 88 750 it is to short.
                    Dink
                    will a 16 valve motor also bolt in or if no what needs to be done.

Comment

Can't use the 16 valver - it's a chain drive. If the next question is 'How do I convert a chain to a shaft drive?' Don't bother asking. Too much work, just buy a chain drive bike instead. 8)

Just curious - is there something wrong with the 850's motor? Before you start swapping everything around I would rethink what you want out of the bike as an end product. If you want more power, and still retain the shaft, maybe selling the 850 and purchasing an 1100 is the easiest (and cheapest) route.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                        Just curious - is there something wrong with the 850's motor? Before you start swapping everything around I would rethink what you want out of the bike as an end product. If you want more power, and still retain the shaft, maybe selling the 850 and purchasing an 1100 is the easiest (and cheapest) route.
                        no it runs pretty good really. just leaks a little oil like they all do not that it bothers me. I'm just a tinker'r and since i was going to tear down the motor in the winter anyway and fix the leaks, i thought why not add a little more power. I mean if your gonna ride why not have a little fun with thing. the money isn't really that big of a concern, i make it so why not spend it on something that i love to do. (not that i am rich because im not). the 850 already suprises alot of people so why not have a "sleeper" and really confuse the hell out of them! :twisted: so if anyone might come across a running 1100 if you could email me at ktanck@kumc.edu it would be great.

Comment

Working...
                        X