OK, the "easy" mods are done. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, the "easy" mods are done. Now what?

Hi all: Since I bought my GS last fall, I have done a bunch of small and easy things to keep this bike running and looking as good as I can (with my limited experience). Thanks to a bunch of help from this forum's members, I have been able to clean up the wiring to and from the R/R unit, and replaced the original with a SH538-7. I have also swapped out the old-style battery with a maintenance-free AGM, and hard-wired the battery indicator light on the way by to get rid of the "idiot" light. I also did the coil relay mod recently. Plugs are new Iridiums, and the air filter is K&N (as is the oil filter). With that all behind me, are there other fairly straight-forward mods / tweaks, etc. that can be done fairly easily that will help boost reliability, performance and the like? Thanks.

Looking at the pic of your bike i am assuming you do a bit of travelling.
    With the added weight of gear i would be looking at some minor suspension upgrades.[actually extra gear or not].
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

To really give this thread some interest Rcoville should just give us a budget and let us spend it for him .

So how much $500, $1000, $2000 .........

Comment

Do your brakes . New bits where possible/necessary . Money well spent .

Cheers , Simon .
        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

The brakes are all new (as in pads) and the rotors are well within spec. However, brake lines are not. Is that an area that could use attention?

Comment

You could choose to fit braided lines which will improve your braking.... If you dont want to fit the braided lines the least I would do is to flush new fluid thru the system and bleed them up...

Comment

Braided lines would be my first choice for you.

Comment

+1 on the braided steel lines. The best dollars you'll ever spend on that bike-one finger braking if called for.

Comment

I did not see any metion of valve adjustment.

I will take this opportunity to invite you to read the last part of my sig, then take action as you see fit.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I did not see any metion of valve adjustment.

I will take this opportunity to invite you to read the last part of my sig, then take action as you see fit.

Sorry steve, he's got an 1100ES. The spread sheet will do him little good ;p

Braided lines are a must with all that extra...uhm...weight you've added to that speed machine. I'd also suggest high volume oil pump gears as a minimum investment in a reliable top end if you run that thing in the higher revs much (which you should, that's where that bike likes to live). I assume you've taken care of the jetting with the KN drop in filter? Idealy you'd want a bump in the jetting dept (they really needed it either way but the high flow filter will cause a bigger need, might pick up a stage one dynojet kit). A valve check is also a good idea as steve mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Sorry steve, he's got an 1100ES. The spread sheet will do him little good ;p
                      OK, I missed that part.

I guess the action that would be appropriate would be to ignore the invite to get the spreadsheet,
                      but he should still check his valve adjustment.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did the valve check when I replaced the valve cover gasket about 6 weeks ago. (That's when the Iridium plugs went in).

However, I made no changes on the jets when I added the K&N. Good idea on the Dyna-jet suggestion. K&N says no changes are required, but is that just the sales department talking?

The braided lines sounds like a good idea as well. I may need to think on that, 'cause if I'm buying new lines anyway, maybe a new set of handlebars to increase pull-back might be in order at the same time. That will mean other changes as well, I know, so maybe that's an off-season keep-me-out-of-the-pool-hall project.

Comment

Shimming the carb needles improves driveability on most GS's. Another cheap but very effective mod is some Progressive fork springs, or at least cut a few inches out of the stockers and fabricate some new spacers.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So NOW you say it has to be cheap

OK here you go: adds 10 hp and you will never go back

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              So NOW you say it has to be cheap

OK here you go: adds 10 hp and you will never go back

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=135697
                              Outstanding, Posplayr! However, It took me closer to 15 minutes to do this. I had trouble finding my box of plumbing odds 'n sods. Thanks.

Also, I'm in process of ordering up the SS braided brake lines. I agree that is one up-grade that is essential. These are old lines on this bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X