V&H vs. Kerker vs. Supertrapp exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H vs. Kerker vs. Supertrapp exhausts

I'll be picking up my '82 GS1100E this weekend and I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! Anyway, a couple of questions. The bike currently has on older Vance & Hines 4 into 1 megaphone that's seen better days - a rust hole in the bottom, and judging by how loud it is, it's probably blown out its packing. The airbox is stock, and I don't know for sure if it was rejetted or not. The seller bought it from a friend who owned it for 10 years, and the friend bought it from a local Suzuki dealer with the V&H pipe already on it. So, there's a chance that the dealer did the install and more than likely rejetted, but then again maybe not.

Anyway, I'm thinking about replacing the pipe with another Vance & Hines since the bike runs great now with the old one. I started looking around at different applications for this bike, and I saw the Kerker, but it's more expensive and you have to lose the center stand. Then I saw a Supertrapp system on loudfastugly.com for $119 for the header and $99 for the canister. I'd love to hear from anybody who has experience with these systems. Pros? Cons? Should I just stick with the V&H, or try something else? I'm not really concerned as much with a performance upgrade, I just want to replace a tired exhaust and get the sound levels a little more neighbor-friendly.

I apologize for the rambling and if this is one of those beating a dead horse, been asked a thousand times questions - I haven't had much time to dive into the archives here yet. Thanks!

Personally, and especially if your bike is already running good, I'd spring for the V&H. It's a few more bucks. But you DO know it works good.

Comment

Skytzo,

What Supertrapp are you talking about? I have the stainless system on my '83 GS1100E and love it. Since it is stainless steel, it won't rust. It cleans up easily with one of those green scrub pads. It is easy to re-pack. And best of all, by adding or removing discs you can change the flow/noise level. Check out the Bike of the Month for a picture.

Good luck,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The only exhaust I have first hand experiance with is the V&H canister system on mine... LOVE it, altho it needs a repacking.

Jim

Comment

I used to have a Kerker K2 on my bike and it worked nice. Now I have a stainless Yosh Duplex with spigots and the header is held in place with springs. The Yosh was intended for an air/oil cooled Gixxer and I love it. In your case the Supertrapp might be the best option. You can do some tuning by adding or removing discs.

Comment

You sound happy with the V/H pipe. The Supertrapp is affordable too. Remember, if you buy a pipe that makes you take off the centerstand or does'nt allow access to the oil filter, you may regret it later. Just lubing the chain is more difficult without a centerstand. So is fixing a flat or changing a tire.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Skytzo,

FYI, The Supertrapp pipe on my '83 1100E did NOT require centerstand removal and DOES give you access to oil filter and drain plug.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                Skytzo,

FYI, The Supertrapp pipe on my '83 1100E did NOT require centerstand removal and DOES give you access to oil filter and drain plug.

Joe
                Hey Joe, that bike of yours looks great, I've already got a supertrapp stainless can in a box in my garage (good old ebay!) so I might see if I can find a nice set of those stainless supertrapp headers for my other GS1000, they seem to "tuck in" to the frame better than some of the other pipes I've seen lately. :twisted:

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys. I finally got my bike Saturday and I realized it doesn't have the centerstand, so that wouldn't be an issue now, but getting at the oil filter defintiely would. Here's a link to the Supertrapp system I was looking at: http://www.loudfastugly.com/exhausts/supertrp.htm

Jim/Billy - do you guys have part numbers for those systems? Joe - sweet ass bike!

Ah, so many choices....my head is spinning! I like the look of a canister style system, but on the other hand I do know the bike runs good with the V&H megaphone. One good thing is I don't have to rush to decide now since I found out that CT stopped doing inspections for motorcycles.

Comment

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Those are links to a couple of shots of my exhaust. Not sure of the part number, but if I remember right it came off of something like an '88-'92 GSX-R750. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's been awhile since I picked it up off Ebay. I already had mounted GSX-R rearsets so I can't even say if your stock pegs will interfere.

Comment

Sorry to break your bubble, the stopping of inspections only applies to cars. If the bike is over 10 years older or from out of state, it has to be inspected. Had to have my 85 done.

Comment

I've been meaning to ask you about that Yosh setup. I just found out that pipes from an '89-'92 GSXR 750 & 1100 will work on GS750E/700E bikes from the mid eighties. Came across this link, and for a dual can system, it's pretty sweet...

And for cost reference, check here:

(no takers)

But, that also means that if you're not scared of a few minor mods, any aftermarket pipes from those models of Gixxer will fit - they just have to have 41mm OD at the headers.

I just bought a pipe from Terry for an '83 GS750S Katana (S2?) - the OD matches, so I'm going to see how the pipe follows the frame. If it's not workable, I'm planning on selling it and buying the factory Gixxer duals. I think it's pretty sharp, and would at least allow me to upgrade the cans when I need to..... Yeah, it's a little heavier, but it's for a 20 year old bike.

Which brings an idea - with the two most popular questions in the technical forums here being about pipes and tires, we should come up with a cross referenced fitment chart showing which pipes will work on which bikes, and detail what mods may be necessary. This also holds true for fitting larger tires and/or wheels (like tweaking the torque arm, offset drive sprocket, etc.). Hell - swingarms and forks would help, too.

But basically a simple cross-reference chart based on experience would definitely help. How about a performance how-to, like the carb series. A pictorial detailing a USD fork swap, a swingarm and rear suspension swap, maybe dimensions for 6-pot Nissin brackets, SS line swap outs, dial-a-jet, big bore kit, etc.????

With winter coming up, I'm sure there are more than a few projects planned - have camera will travel.....

Yeah???

-Q!

Comment

Q,
                          Further down the list of topics in this section you'll find threads by Swanny and Gerry that go into detail on suspension swaps. As long as the steering head uses tapered bearings it should work. You just have to be prepared to switch everything up front. I am running a 4.5" Gixxer wheel in my stock swingarm with a 160 width radial. Swingarm swaps are quite a bit more work. That's what caused me to dump the stock pegs. I have a '93 banana swingarm and a '97 shock to mount on my bike. Maybe this winter.

Comment

Thanks, Billy.

That's just my point, though - a step-by-step would be awesome. I can and have found more information than I could possibly want in these forums, but it usually takes 2 hours and a pot of coffee to find everything I'm looking for.

Parts cross-referencing would be a valuable asset, too - especially with these bikes getting older. I know V&H discontinued the megaphone for my bike this year, and it can only be found in dealer stock now. This is just going to keep getting worse as time goes by, especially for the '83 + 750E/700E bikes....

-Q!

Comment

Just re-read - that banana swingarm is a nice unit. I want to see photos when you're done with it.

Did you have to offset your drive sprocket with the larger wheel, or does it line up well? Stock rear brake, or bottom-mount caliper and drop torque arm?

Comment

Working...
                              X