cam upgrades? others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam upgrades? others?

i just had to tear the motor on my GS650E apart to take the head to be retapped (exhaust studs.. ugh).. while i have it apart, anyone know what kind of performance cams are available for a GS650? searching via google didnt turn up anything... and i dont know what else (if anything) is interchangable.

what other performance suggestions do you all have? i have a kerker 4-1 to put on, and mikuni flatslides from a 90-something Katana on there now..

thanks!

-casey

it may be to your advantage to leave it stock. Just replace the cam chain and install adjustable cam gears.

Comment

why would it be advantageous to leave it stock? parts availability? reliability?

any suggestions as to where to find adjustable cam gears?

so are there no performance cams available for the GS650E?

thanks!

casey

- edited for spelling -

Comment

Originally posted by guttercat
        why would it be advantageous to leave it stock? parts availability? reliability?

any suggestions as to where to find adjustable cam gears?

so are there no performance cams available for the GS650E?

thanks!

casey

- edited for spelling -
        A 650 anything is a fun bike to ride and large enough to take longer rides with. why ruin a nice enjoyable machine and chase something that it will not give you. It will never be a killer street hot rod. enjoy its reliability. I am suggesting adjustable cam gears because it is likely that degreeing the cams will give you a reasonable performance increase and not mess up how smooth the bike runs.
        I guess if you want to get cams them you could look for a regrinder but you better know what you want first. (( head work--springs)) I believe that you are starting in the wrong place for performance unless you have already installed performance exhaust and re tuned the carbs.\ Lots of the gang have more experience than i do and i may not be looking at it correctly. I KNOW I NEED MORE THAN ONE BIKE SINCE I MODIFIED MY GS 1100. You need something to ride when you are tuning the hot rod. I use a 650 Yammy.

Comment

good call.. thanks for your opinion! that makes sense, since as you said that im thinking of all the tuning projects i have in my garage right now.. none of which run (for lack of time and unwillingness to pay someone else to do it for me)... guess i better leave this one alone. once i get the head retapped.. thanks!

-casey

Comment

That's some good advice from Scotty. Adding just cams isn't going to give you much HP. You need all of the goodies around it to make the cams work.

Freshen up the motor with a valve job, new rings, gaskets and seals, and enjoy it.

Comment

while you have your motor at the shop, have the cam gears sloted too. check out

this may be some help to you. let me know how it goes, i want to do this this winter myself.

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Why not have the head skimmed while its off the bike? It's a cheap, effective mod.

I had 0.010'' skimmed from my GS1000 head while it was off for new stem seals, valve-lap and de-coke. Also re-honed the block and fitted new rings, degreed stock cams to 106 degrees.

With a carefull 1,000 mile break-in, I've ended up with a much punchier engine than before. A compression test gave me around 180 psi on all 4 pots. Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk
                  Why not have the head skimmed while its off the bike? It's a cheap, effective mod.

I had 0.010'' skimmed from my GS1000 head while it was off for new stem seals, valve-lap and de-coke. Also re-honed the block and fitted new rings, degreed stock cams to 106 degrees.

With a carefull 1,000 mile break-in, I've ended up with a much punchier engine than before. A compression test gave me around 180 psi on all 4 pots. Nice!!
                  That 106
                  degree seems to be a popular and effect number.
                  i saw it on ask greg from cope racing. Where did you get the info from??

Comment

From this site!

Made a big difference to how the motor runs. My cams were miles retarded as stock, possibly aggravated by camchain stretch, and of course the head skim.

The engine now has one hell of a pick-up (for what is basically a stocker) but I feel the bottom end grunt isn't all it could be. I may experiment with a couple more degrees advance on the intake cam, as suggested on the Cope site.

Comment

Working...
                    X