100hp 1981 GS750E...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100hp 1981 GS750E...

...lol, how to do it? I've been considering later model engine swaps and, it seems, that's my best bet. I would like to keep the stock lump, though, and no unnatural inductions.

I know there's a lot of options for the earlier 750 as far as pistons and such...what's out there for the 16v?

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
    ...lol, how to do it? I've been considering later model engine swaps and, it seems, that's my best bet. I would like to keep the stock lump, though, and no unnatural inductions.

I know there's a lot of options for the earlier 750 as far as pistons and such...what's out there for the 16v?
    Unfortunately, not a lot. The 8-valve had a lot of performance parts for it but the 16-valve did not, probably because the easiest and cheapest way to hop it up was to take the 750 badges and put them on a 1100.

The 750 was a sweet and smooth bike.

Hap

Comment

Pop an 1100 engine in it, and go see Ray.
      It's a really easy swap.
      Last edited by tkent02; 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Oh yeah...not really complaining about the bike. I know I likely won't get that kind of power out of it. It's just thought. I'm pretty sure to get my goals I'm going to have to stab a GSXR750 block in there.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Pop an 1100 engine in it, and go see Ray.
          It's a really easy swap.
          If I do an engine swap I'm leaning more toward oil cooled GSXR 750 blocks...you can pick up whole motor kits for well under $400.

If I do a "big" motor I'll probably just hurt myself. I've always wanted a B12 block with GSXR1100 cams, pods, and a beefy exhaust. I've never had 100lbs of torque on a bike before.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
            If I do an engine swap I'm leaning more toward oil cooled GSXR 750 blocks...you can pick up whole motor kits for well under $400.

If I do a "big" motor I'll probably just hurt myself. I've always wanted a B12 block with GSXR1100 cams, pods, and a beefy exhaust. I've never had 100lbs of torque on a bike before.
            If you're going to go, then go BIG!!!

Comment

That's usually my opinion...it's just a matter of power over mass centralization...which do I want more lol

I'd have to do something about the "dinky" 160mm tire in the back with the B12 lump.

Comment

I looked into this for a while on a 1981 750. You start running into problems with the clutch after a certain point on HP gains and there isnt a whole lot of affordable options on upgrades. like mentioned above swap it out for a 1100 you will be miles ahead in performance and dollars.

Comment

This is more than you probably want but it takes a bit to get 100 ft/lbs of torque... Look at the dyno sheet

Curt
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
                    This is more than you probably want but it takes a bit to get 100 ft/lbs of torque... Look at the dyno sheet

Curt
                    i read that hours ago and thought the same thing.
                    a big inch V-twin will make some impressive torque numbers too.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                      I looked into this for a while on a 1981 750. You start running into problems with the clutch after a certain point on HP gains and there isnt a whole lot of affordable options on upgrades. like mentioned above swap it out for a 1100 you will be miles ahead in performance and dollars.
                      the clutch isn't the problem on hopped up 80-82 GS750's....
                      its the rod bearings turning in the rods and making a clacking sound when the piston's hit the head surface.

Comment

If the economy ever picks up and every dollar isn't so vital here is where I'll start with my build, 12:1 Cosworths. I already have a set of flatslides and cams. I have an NOS head that will be used for the build. That's where the money comes in.

Everything else will be to complement them.

Comment

With the 16v 750 you start with the lubrication system....

Before GSXR's we used to cut the gearboxes off the 750's for speedway TQ's - then mount a big dry sump pump assembly.
                          You start with a good 70 - 80 lb just off idle and ease all the oil galleries properly for more flow - and still you do rod bearings....

Just bolt in an 1100 - much easier and way more reliable.
                          And if you want steam engine torque stick with small carbs and cams dialled to suit.

Comment

+1 on the 1100 swap
                            Engine fits great, just the mid motor mounts need to change. My header didnt have to change either. V&H part #'s for their headers are the same from the 750 to the 1100.
                            The 1100 has a total different personality, its got soo much more low end grunt, and still revs out real nice, and unlike the 750, there are tons of performance parts for it

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                              +1 on the 1100 swap
                              Engine fits great, just the mid motor mounts need to change. My header didnt have to change either. V&H part #'s for their headers are the same from the 750 to the 1100.
                              The 1100 has a total different personality, its got soo much more low end grunt, and still revs out real nice, and unlike the 750, there are tons of performance parts for it
                              no comparison really ; I was recently riding a 750 in the twisters and it was a little frustrating coming out of the corners because the grunt just was not there. The 1166 makes it even worse

Comment

Working...
                              X