Head gasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket question

I've had the cylinders re-bored for 1mm oversized pistons (i.e 69mm to 70mm).
    The OEM head gasket now sits slightly proud of the bore (about 0.5-1mm) as it is smaller diameter than the bore.
    The pistons at TDC are just 1mm (or less) below the cilynders block's surface and this is without torqueing the head retaining nuts.

I'm worried that when I torque the head down and the engine heats up possibly the gasket's metal rings might interfere with the pistons.

I thought I'd better ask for your opinion here on the forum than be sorry later ...

Thanks for any thoughts
    Last edited by psyguy; 08-05-2010, 11:23 PM.
    GS850GT

I've always had to buy larger bore head gaskets with larger pitons. Not sure about 1mm over though.
    Maybe take it in 1mm with a dremmel?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Contact RapidRay he deals with this

Comment

You need to order the CORRECT 1mm overbore gasket. Cometic will be your best bet. Do NOT grind the ring on the stock gasket! I'll bet the 70mm gasket for the 8 valve 750 will work! 1mm bigger is ok, 1mm smaller is NOT! Ray.

Comment

suzuki doesn't seem to list oversize gaskets for 850 so not sure what their thinking was?

ray, are you sure the 8v 750 is 70mm bore? cos 850 stock is 69mm.

would maybe a gs1000 gasket be suitable if anyone knows?
          i'm pretty sure it would fit but not sure of the bore size.
          GS850GT

Comment

z1 lists the same gasket for gs850 and gs1000

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

(apparently the same oem part number)

i think i'll send them an email asking about the bore size
            GS850GT

Comment

You need a GS1000 head gasket. 70mm

Comment

Stock 750 is 65mm but I've seen 69mm for over bored 750's. A 70mm 750 would obviously fit your 850 too. Surprised they make them for the 8 valve 750 though cause there wouldn't be much of a cylinder left.
                1979 GS750E

Comment

I was thinking of the 70mm gasket for the 3mm overbore on the 16 valve 750. My bad! Dar is right on the 1000 gasket in your case. Ray.

Comment

Psy, I'm running an 1100G Cometic MLS gasket on my 71mm 850.
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

cheers guys it's all starting to make sense now

i bet what the z1 sells is a 70mm stock gs1000 gasket that also works fine on the 69mm stock gs850 and would be perfect for my 70mm overbore

i'm waiting the response from z1 just to be sure but will likely get the gasket from them

thanks again gsr
                      GS850GT

Comment

Well just measured my head gasket from 850 gasket set and its ID is 73mm for 69mm cylinder. So then measured head gasket from 750 gasket set that I installed last year and its 67mm for 65mm cylinder.

So there out there.
                        1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
                          Well just measured my head gasket from 850 gasket set and its ID is 73mm for 69mm cylinder.
                          what brand is that set coady? i wouldn't be surprised if they're covering 850/1000/1100 models with one and the same gasket so save costs...
                          GS850GT

Comment

NP gaskets with an apple shape logo. I bought the set from UK on ebay. They have all the oem part numbers on the back for GS850 gaskets, but I guess The head gasket could shared between a few sets as you've suggested.
                            1979 GS750E

Comment

Been thinking... put my head gasket on last night and it did look a little large for the bore with the 2mm gap around the edge - 73mm for 69mm bore...

Put it back together and was gonna put the valve cover on when I thought I should sleep on it (probably should have stopped a little sooner..).

Worried now I may lose some compression? Am I worrying for nothing?
                              1979 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                              X