Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1085: RS 34 Flatside vs VM33 Smoothbore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kochic View Post
    The canadian version had mikuni mecanical flatslide stock.The 1986 i owned had these.
    My friend still have the bike, i can probably borrow the carbs rack to give it a try on my 1000.
    Marc
    Marc,
    That would be great if it's not too much trouble. Look forward to hearing the results and watching the smokey burn outs
    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
      I fat fingered the 98, should be 88? I pulled that information from http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html

So what did you have 31 Vacuum flat slides mounted on, do they fit under the tank and most importantly do you believe they are a good upgrade for a GS1085 2V or GS1100 4V?
      ================================================== ==========
      i have a complete set of 31mm vacuum flat slides..
      the bike they came from was titled as a **1985 GSXR 750.**
      these have been off the bike for 12-15 years.
      they have non adjustable needles(stock).
      these would need a total cleaning/rebuild from sitting.

Comment

PM sent . . .
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
          PM sent . . .
          pm returned.

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
            The canadian version had mikuni mecanical flatslide stock.The 1986 i owned had these.
            My friend still have the bike, i can probably borrow the carbs rack to give it a try on my 1000.
            Marc
            Marc
            I know you are working on other carb stuff but I would like to know if this mechanical flatslides work on your 1000
            Steve

Comment

RS34 Flatslide vs GSXr Carbs

Well I sold the VM33 S/Bores to Ozjavelin because I wanted to maintain streetability. Those VM33 ended up with Sharpey.

I am still weighing my carb options but now just between RS34 Flatslides and GSXr Carbs (36, 38 or 40mm). I know russ33, 80gs1000 & kochic are all running Mikuni RS Carbs on their Suzuki GS1085. I would like to hear how the RS34's are working for you guys and I also would like to get some additional feedback from the GSer's running GSXr carbs on their GS1085's. Not sure if the GSXr carbs had adjustable needles but I doubt it.

My goal is to enhance street performance and maintain good throttle response through out the entire rev range. Don't care about peak HP at 9000 rpm. I don't spin it that that hard

My set up includes the following:
              GS1100G Head (Low mileage recent addition)
              Wiseco 1085 10.25CR
              VM29's
              Falcon Welded Clutch Basket
              Andrews S1, Slotted Sprockets
              Supertrapp 4/1
              Dyna Coils, Ignition & wires
              Last edited by srsupertrap; 11-28-2010, 11:33 AM.
              Steve

Comment

Carbies!

Get the biggest CV's you can! They will adapt more easily to altitude changes than the RS's. And generally are easier to tune.
                Tanx
                G
                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

I am running 36mm flatslides from an 89 GSXR1100 on my 1085, Web cams, big port head, head cut, radius valve job and ported by Ray. I installed a Factory Pro jet kit and am running K&N RU-2922 filters. It took me a while to get the low end sorted out and it still isn't as crisp on the bottom as it could be with smaller carbs. It is not like it is undriveable on the low end but I think it could be crisper. BUT--- when that thing hits @5000 RPM's it SCREAMS!! I have been fooling with the idea of some RS34's or some smaller VM's and even purchased some 31mm flatslides from a member here. I just can't bring myself to put them on and loose that rush these big carbs give.
                  I think if I knew then what I know know I would have bucked up and bought a new set of RS34's and been done with it
                  You should have seen the face of my buddy when that big old GS was power wheelying by his new Ducati earler this year!!!!!!!

Comment

Carbies?

Hey, change your cam timing a little to pick up some bottom end. I.E., smaller lobe centers. Try 104 intake and 106 exhaust.
                    That will pick the bottom up a fair amount.
                    G
                    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

keihins really rattle!

Comment

Originally posted by NoBars View Post
                        keihins really rattle!
                        That they do...

Old carbon fiber exhaust cracked at the rivets so I got a new stainless steel replacement. Sounds much better (more full bodied) and not as sharp compared to...

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                          I am running 36mm flatslides from an 89 GSXR1100 on my 1085, Web cams, big port head, head cut, radius valve job and ported by Ray. I installed a Factory Pro jet kit and am running K&N RU-2922 filters. It took me a while to get the low end sorted out and it still isn't as crisp on the bottom as it could be with smaller carbs. It is not like it is undriveable on the low end but I think it could be crisper. BUT--- when that thing hits @5000 RPM's it SCREAMS!! I have been fooling with the idea of some RS34's or some smaller VM's and even purchased some 31mm flatslides from a member here. I just can't bring myself to put them on and loose that rush these big carbs give.
                          I think if I knew then what I know know I would have bucked up and bought a new set of RS34's and been done with it
                          You should have seen the face of my buddy when that big old GS was power wheelying by his new Ducati earler this year!!!!!!!
                          I never heard back from you & this is the first I've heard you talk about it being running. I'm glad it runns good & pulls hard! Just where did you end up degreeing the cams? Also, which cams did you go with? 36s are a little toward the big side but I'll still bet we can get them snappier! Call me if you want. If you don't still have my # let me know. Glad to hear you are happy with the head! Ray.

Comment

Here is a vid I made of mine. You can hear the carbs clacking a bit.

1st run after complete engine overhaul. You can hear the flatslide carbs clattering

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                              Here is a vid I made of mine. You can hear the carbs clacking a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2MbC0GicM
                              that sounds so good, I'm anxious to set up a set of flatslides

Comment

I have a set of RS 34mm Mikunis for sale. El G.

Comment

Working...
                                X