Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM Surge but bike no go

Re: gs1000g

When I'm in 5th gear around 55-60mph at around 4500 RPMish and I give it a good open throttle punch, it seems that in the 5500 rpm range the RPMS surge up to 6K-6.5k but the bike does not really speed up during that period. If I throttle more smoothly it doesn't happen. How can the revs increase like that but power not connect to the wheel. Some kind of clutch slippage?

I haven't really tested to see how consistent this is. It's also really loud with the wind so all I can do is go on feel and visual tach.

Originally posted by apogeecustom View Post
    Re: gs1000g

When I'm in 5th gear around 55-60mph at around 4500 RPMish and I give it a good open throttle punch, it seems that in the 5500 rpm range the RPMS surge up to 6K-6.5k but the bike does not really speed up during that period. If I throttle more smoothly it doesn't happen. How can the revs increase like that but power not connect to the wheel. Some kind of clutch slippage?

I haven't really tested to see how consistent this is. It's also really loud with the wind so all I can do is go on feel and visual tach.
    Usually when the clutch slips it goes a lot higher than 6,500 RPM if you keep the throttle open. But that is what your description sounds like. So if you close the throttle somewhat does it quit slipping and drop back to the 5500 it was at?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Usually when the clutch slips it goes a lot higher than 6,500 RPM if you keep the throttle open. But that is what your description sounds like. So if you close the throttle somewhat does it quit slipping and drop back to the 5500 it was at?
      Yeah, I don't leave it open. I back off until normalcy resumes. If this is clutch slipage, what am I looking at here?

- Haven't changed the oil since I bought it last month (only ridden for a few days). It's possible the oil is synthetic. I've only read that this can cause clutch slipping, but I don't know what that means fully.

- Clutch cable? Shifting is fine, but maybe its riding the edge of the threshold?

- I haven't inspected clutch plates but if I did, am I looking to see if the ears are out of spec? Bike has 25,000 miles on it.

Comment

At 25,000 miles the clutch should not be worn out, unless it was raced in its early life.

First thing to check is cable adjustment to make sure it is fully releasing.

After that, get a 6-pack of new springs and a new gasket. Put the bike on the side stand, pull the clutch cover (no need to drain the oil, since it's on the side stand), replace the springs, install the new gasket and cover, adjust the cable, go ride.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X