advice on pod sizes for a 85 GS 550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on pod sizes for a 85 GS 550L

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and picked up 85 GS550L in a barn a few days ago. it was one of those deals where a friend got a place and the bike was already there and she didn't want it. I have pulled the carbs off cleaned them out and got the bike running. Looking at putting some K&N Pods on this and choping it down some to have as a around town toy. Has anyone else put k&N pods on one of these bikes? What size did they use? What size jets did you use when you rejetted? Is there anything I need to know about this bike that were problems?

I have looked through the forum some and havn't seen alot about it on here so I am taking it little info is a good thing. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.
    Eric
    85 gs 550L
    00 FLHTC

you have to purchase a ST.3 JET KIT for the bike to even run close to ok with out the air box.
    i have no clue on filter sizes for the 2- 2 bbl carbs it uses.
    K&N should show a part number if they ever made them.
    a jet kit may be a stretch now that i think about it.

Comment

K&N no longer has the filters for the 2 barrel 550 carbs as I bought the last 2 they had 2 years ago for someone on this site from Colorado. As far as I know, K&N was the only company that made filters for the 2 barrel carbs. Better start looking for an airbox! Ray.

Comment

Well since K&N doesnt make one is there any other pod fliter set up that anyone knows of. I still have the airbox but was really wanting to go for a pod striped down look.

Comment

wouldn't it be possible to measure the O.D. of the carb intake, and look for pod filters in that size? rather than looking for model-specific pods.

still a LOT less trouble to find a stock airbox and filter, took quite a while to dial in the carbs on my 550 with pods.

Comment

That's the wrong bike for pods…

The 550 has a 50/50 bore /stroke ratio, and a mild cam. So it likes to be shifted on the torque peak-7500rpm. The factory airbox will give you the best torque.
            If you want a bike with horsepower, that ain't it.
            Bill
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post
              wouldn't it be possible to measure the O.D. of the carb intake, and look for pod filters in that size? rather than looking for model-specific pods.

still a LOT less trouble to find a stock airbox and filter, took quite a while to dial in the carbs on my 550 with pods.
              these have 2 -- 2 barrel carbs..
              let him know if you find something that will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                these have 2 -- 2 barrel carbs..
                let him know if you find something that will fit.
                thanks?

just trying to help out the new guy by approaching the question from a different direction.
                I had a hard time finding unifilters for my ride by searching for the model, so i searched for the OD instead. came up right away.

Comment

Most of the filters I have found are for singles and not a double (circle no ovals). That has been making it difficult but has anyone tryed using a K&N flilter on the end of the boots off the carbs? That was an Idea I was thinking about trying. or does anyone know a secret of getting that airbox back into the frame it right now is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post
                    thanks?

just trying to help out the new guy by approaching the question from a different direction.
                    I had a hard time finding unifilters for my ride by searching for the model, so i searched for the OD instead. came up right away.
                    oh come onnn..
                    these are some of the strangest carbs suzuki ever put on a GS.
                    how was you supposed to know.

Comment

Originally posted by ANCEric View Post
                      Most of the filters I have found are for singles and not a double (circle no ovals). That has been making it difficult but has anyone tryed using a K&N flilter on the end of the boots off the carbs? That was an Idea I was thinking about trying. or does anyone know a secret of getting that airbox back into the frame it right now is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
                      i have cleaned the carbs on these before so it can be done..
                      a huge pain but in the end your bike will be right.
                      one tip..
                      lotsa lube.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        oh come onnn..
                        these are some of the strangest carbs suzuki ever put on a GS.
                        how was you supposed to know.

forgot that they were ovals, not just bigger circle-shaped intakes.

Comment

Well since K&N doesnt make one is there any other pod fliter set up that anyone knows of. I still have the airbox but was really wanting to go for a pod striped down look.
                          Well, if you really want the pod look and are ambitious- since you have the airbox, you could take it to a machine shop and have them make a plate that fits the oval shape and then transitions to a pod holding tube/flange. You'd have a pair of pods but then you'd being playing with the jetting.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Comment

Did you see where it said in RED "Discontinued 6/09"? Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X