RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM's

I have a 82 850g. The rpm paddle waves back and forth when I am between 59 and 67 mph. What up with that. Is it just my gage going bad. Once the paddle hits 6000 it settles back down to no wagging. Don't see it doing that at other speeds.

Try pulling the cable off and lubricating it. A wavering needle is sometimes a sticky cable. I use motor oil. The cable is a spring inside the housing. It will come right out, letting you put oil in the housing and/or on the spring.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks I'll try that. I thought I had read that you valves being off could do that. I just didn't want to hurt somthing brfore the winter got here.

Comment

There is no way that "valves being off" will affect the tachometer like that. There is a direct correlation between engine speed and road speed, so if the tach is bouncing around, the road speed should be bouncing, too. Conversely, if the road speed is steady, the tach should be steady, too.

A dry cable is one possible cause of a bouncing needle (paddle? never heard it called that). It could also be the gauge itself that needs to be lubricated. Not quite as easy to fix, but still possible. Also be aware that simply lubing the cable might not fix it, you might have to replace the cable. Fortunately, it's not all that expensive.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

My tachometer would wobble a bit most of the time. Lubricating it helped. Lubricate both the cable and spray some lube up in the tach port on the gauges too. It could also be that the magnetic assembly inside the tach gauge needs cleaning.

After I replaced my tach cable it has been solid, no wavering. I was surprised. I thought I would have to disassemble my gauges.

There's a bell housing connected to a watch spring which drives the tach needle. This is actuated by a magnet spun by the cable. If the bell housing assembly is gunked up the readings can be affected. (Note: This is the speedometer, but the tach is essentially the same.)

I suppose the metal in the watch spring can become fatigued with age too. That would adversely affect the reading.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X